Good 12AY7s?

Jowes_84

Tele-Holic
If you build and want to go off the beaten track you could use 6u10 or 6d10 compactrons which are cheap and sometimes offered bulk
… just an idea
I have not compared specs in detail

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
i have eh in a couple amps that sound great. they didn't sound great in a couple others. exactly same thing with jj. worked in a couple and not in a couple.

play music!

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What about the next guy up, what is that a 12aU or? Whatever is the lowest Mu tube just above the 12 Y?

The 12AU7 is a driver tube by design…in the same family as a 12AT7. The 12AU7 has a gain of 17. The 12AY7 has a gain of 40. The 12AT7 and the 5751 have a gain of 70, but the 12AT7 was designed as a driver. So, the 5751 is the next step up in gain above the 12AY7 for a signal processing tube.

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
Well, I just received three EH, 12AY7s and two of the three hum terribly and the other is only a little less hum! Other 12AY7s in the same position are dead silent. The EHs are going back, whence they came!
Not Happy!
Gene

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I completely disagree with the premise that some tubes sound good and others don't. It depends what you put them in, and even how you use the amp. The cab construction, speaker, etc. will also have an effect as to what you consider a sound to be pleasant or nor, as will the guitar.

wstrnswingster

Tele-Meister
If you are building try USSR 6N3P. Slightly different wiring, similar to 12AY7/12AT7. Cheap, quiet, and sound very nice.
View attachment 927157
Kind of a pain to translate the data sheet, but at least the pin out doesn’t need translation.
I'd be interested to learn more about this tube as a 12AY replacement. Ive tried to stash away the typical amp tubes but I'm a little light on AY's and AX's. Do they fit in the shields?

El Famoso

Tele-Meister
I'd be interested to learn more about this tube as a 12AY replacement. Ive tried to stash away the typical amp tubes but I'm a little light on AY's and AX's. Do they fit in the shields?
The pin out doesn’t match but they are the same size as a standard 12A_7. So it’s not a drop in replacement but a good alternative for a new build.

The specs are pretty close to the same. Only data sheet I have is in Cyrillic and I don’t speak Russian. So it’s pretty tedious translating but the numbers are fairly obvious and the pinout is the standard little picture schematic.

They have a an internal shield in between the two halves, which helps with noise in the preamp section. Nice feature. I have no complaints in the one guitar amp I have used them in so far.

wstrnswingster

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep looking for the correct replacement.
About 15 years ago I won 3 6072a’s on eBay for $45. When they arrived they were exactly as described, GE NOS JAN. The boxes were taped together and looked to have been that way for many years. I was severely bummed when the middle box was empty! The seller refunded 1/3 of the price and promised to send another ASAP. I’m still waiting!

deus56

Tele-Meister
NOS JAN GE's are my V1 fave for a 5E3! If you're lucky there are still some 5-star 3-mica ones out there (and a couple are mine!)
Mine Too!!!!!!!
Here is a real beauty.
IMG-0740.jpg
IMG-0743.jpg