Good 10 inch cab without speaker

tele38200

TDPRI Member
I have been looking for an empty, pre-wired, cabinet for a 10 inch speaker.
Right now I am using the cabinet of a Laney LC15 combo that died. I removed the amp part. But it's a little shaky.

I can't build my own. I saw H&K and Mesa (smaller one, open-back, what I'd like) have some, but they come with a speaker. I'd pay for it, the speaker I mean, just to sit in my closet (I know myself, I wouldn't sell it, "I may need it someday").

Any ideas?

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I had one of these sitting around collecting dust. A white one. If you don't mind a closed back, you can have two for $500.00. One slant and a non slant. I kept the non and put a modern Chinese Greenback in it, and it sounds awesome!

Oops, just saw the local Miami pup only note.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Well, Rawcabs on eBay has some great unfinished cabs made of solid pine, with baltic birch baffles. Suitable for staining and varnish, stain and oil, or tolex.

But you can beat the price on the one above this post.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I went thru a similar search recently. There aren’t many choices for inexpensive 1x10 cabs (empty or loaded). I ended up buying a couple of loaded cabs and replacing the speakers.

VHT Redline 1x10 open-back cabs are easy enough to find for around $120 (you’d better like red though). For a closed-back, I had to look at Gear4Music. They sell a closed-back 1x10 with a Celestion Tube 10 speaker for ~$102 (+$50 shipping from UK to US). They also have an open-back 1x10 with a no-name speaker for considerably less that looks more traditional than VHT’s Redline.

(I got them to use with a small collection of mini & nano amp heads)

patrickhowell

Tele-Meister
TRMguitarcabs.com makes great finger joined pine cabs, and you can save a lot if you finish it yourself. Here’s my ported 1x12:

405777AD-BC9E-4C32-90D1-779E4A0C2B6D.jpeg

4F47B2CA-79CD-4869-9FBA-E6FF33D8BC0E.jpeg

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ask JD Newell how much one is. Great, lightweight pine cabs. However, my guess is it'll be at least $250 now days.

I see TRM has some 'ready to ship' jointed pine cabs:
1 x 10 open back model PC110UO 14" x 14" x 9" deep. $179.95 Free Shipping.

Time to bone up on your tolexing skills. A small cab isnt too hard.

Last edited:

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ttc-110-lemberg-ba-1-x-10-flatpack.html

I'm not sure if the shipping would kill this for you. Tube-Town stuff has a deserved great reputation.

As for the Gear4Music cabs, the older ( blue ) ones were a bargain. Fitted with Celestion TEN-30 speakers, they're great for Hotone Nano heads and other low-watters. Really well made, look good and sound great. Mine sound even better with my beloved Jensens in :)
According to an employee, the new line are worth looking into too. If the no-name had Celestion TEN-30 printed on the back of it, no-one'd question it...

My best, and sorely missed, 1x10" was a Behringer Vintager GM110 that proved not waterproof. It went Phut! as a consequence, but the cab and speaker ( a Jensen MOD 10-30 ) survived. I gutted the amp chassis and turned into the finest sounding 1x10" I've ever heard. A top-control combo from a pawn shop may be a route for you for some shabby-chic cool?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
I have one I could sell. See pics. It's around the same size as a Princeton Reverb. I made it to serve as a 10" cab for a Vox Pathfinder (which stock has an 8" speaker). So there is a cutout for the Pathfinder chassis to mount. But you could easily cover this. You would just need to mount a jack.
IMG_E8058.JPG
IMG_8063.JPG
IMG_E8057.JPG
IMG_E8060.JPG

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Not sure where you live but many major cities have that one amp builder or amp repair shop. In my town they are called Tone I/O, for example. Find the amp shop. Ask them to make a cab.

David Menke

Tele-Meister
Right now I am using the cabinet of a Laney LC15 combo that died. I removed the amp part. But it's a little shaky.

I can't build my own. I saw H&K and Mesa (smaller one, open-back, what I'd like) have some, but they come with a speaker. I'd pay for it, the speaker I mean, just to sit in my closet (I know myself, I wouldn't sell it, "I may need it someday").

Any ideas?
Mojotone Cabinets and Mather Amp Cabinets are excellent, but recently cabinets have gone up in price. If you are wanting something that will last a long time, solid wood construction is the way to go. Either baltic birch which is void free plywood or pine, both make excellent choices. I have used both companies and highly recommend either one. Both have 10inch cabinets. You can customize the cabs from both companies.

Last edited:

David Menke

Tele-Meister
Mojotone makes high quality cabs that sound great.
Do yourself a favor and get a 2x10... it is amazing how much more dimension it adds to the sound field.
Even a 12inch single will add more dimension. 2x10 will be big enough for small or medium gigs. He already has a 10inch speaker, so the 10 single may be the ways to go for home use.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister

Any ideas?
Here's one that can be ordered with a 10" speaker cut out. https://guitarcabinetsdirect.com/cabinets/tweed-deluxe-extension/

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
@tele38200 , you managed to get a lot of suggestions. But one thing you didn’t talk about is your desired budget for a (preferably empty) 1x10 cabinet. Knowing that could help eliminate some suggestions and hone in on what works for you.

Also knowing the application would help too. Is it something to be used mostly at home? Or do you need something durable enough to survive traveling (backseat or back of a van)? Will you be plugging a beloved vintage amp into it or a $50 Hotone Nano head?

But maybe you already found an answer in this thread and ordered it?

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
The best 10" cabinet I have started its life as an inexpensive Ampeg BA110 bass amp. The amp stopped working and I bought it dirt cheap. Pitched the electronics, spray painted the chassis all black, and swapped the no-name stock speaker for a 10-inch Cannabis Rex. It did require soldering two wires to an input jack and tightening it in place. The deep box with two forward vents makes a 10-inch speaker sound immense, even with a wee 5-watt Hotone Mojo Diamond amp.

IMG_20221005_160156133.jpg