Gonna surprise my kids tonight!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, Dec 23, 2016.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing special, but I can't wait to see their little faces. I've been away most of this year working here in NY, while they've been home with my wife in NC.

Normally on Friday's I slip out of work at like 4:30 or 5:00 and hope to get on the NJ Turnpike by 6:00 which puts me home at like 2:00 am when they're all asleep. Today....as far as they know, it will be nothing different. However, I'm slipping out of here at 12:30, picking up a couple of pizzas from their favorite local pizza place in Staten Island and heading South several hours earlier.

My plan is to get home by around 10:00 while they are all still awake and ring the doorbell holding a large cheese and a large pepperoni pie. And when they answer the door, I'll say something like "Eh....did anybody order a couple pies from La Piazza?" I know its silly but I think they'll love it.

Going to be another quiet Christmas. I really can't wait to just be with them and enjoy the long weekend. Presents will be fewer this year....but what amazed me is that my kids, who are actually still pretty young came to us and said that they knew we had a hard year and asked if we could do a family grab bag this year, instead of the whole pile of presents thing. Imagine? 8 and 12 year olds volunteering to only get one present? They are such wonderful little guys and so close to each other. I'm so grateful for them.

One of my favorite parts of Christmas for the last few years, is a newer tradition that my oldest daughter started 4 years ago when we moved back to NC. After dinner on Christmas Eve, they meet up in the kitchen and have a baking party. Up until midnight or so, they play music, sing, while baking all sorts of cookies and brownies etc. Mom and I will pop in and out of the kitchen, to help a little, here and there, but we just let them at it. Something I hope they continue on with their own families someday.

So....for what it's worth I also want to end the year, before things get nuts and I don't get another chance, by saying Merry Christmas (or happy whatever you celebrate) to all my friends here. I've spent more time on TDPRI this year I think than ever before. With help and support from a lot of you guys, I've learned a lot this year. Not just about Teles, but about me. Some of you may remember a lengthy thread early this summer about how my life of traveling was beating me down and taking a toll on my health. Well...much of the advice I got from you helped me to realize what is important in life and what is not. The difference in my quality of life, since then has been remarkable. And the positivity I've found has helped me find opportunities that are going to make things turn around in 2017. Meanwhile I'm stronger, smarter and ready for it.

Peace and Love to all and thanks for all the great support this year!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to such a loving family. You're rich where it truly matters.

robt57 and RevMike like this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That's very cool. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Merry Christmas to all of you.

John

RevMike likes this.
  4. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you have some great kids. I've had a busy year myself, at least half of it. After about four days of not seeing my boys I get cranky and depressed.

Christmas can be a tough time when you live paycheck to paycheck, but after 12 yrs I am starting to make the kind of money a family can actually survive on. I am not gonna take it for granted; i spent to long struggling for that.

Very good thread, my eyes starting tearing up reading it. Merry Christmas, happy New year. Be safe on your way home.

RevMike likes this.
  5. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

So my ruse went off without a hitch. I let me oldest daughter only in on it. I picked up two large pizzas (courtesy of Ali at La Piazza in Staten Island). When I got within 20 minutes of home I pulled over and texted her that I was in range. She'd set things up by promising her younger sibs that she would order the pizza as a late night snack. (A rare treat). I pulled up and rang the doorbell and stood in the shadows with a hat obscuring my face. My youngest daughter opened the door and grabbed the pies...but then her little brother said "wait....I think the pizza man is daddy". Then younger daughter started shouting "yes the pizza man is daddy!!!" It was a fun surprise. And we have an extra pie for lunch tomorrow!

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

HAH!!!

THE BEST!!!

RevMike likes this.
  7. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

I think your plan was almost as great as your kids! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

RevMike likes this.
  8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

thats a cool thing man..have a great holiday!

9. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool story! Merry Christmas!

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

This for me too! Enjoy, I only am getting one of two for X-Mas. But we had both for TG this year. ;)

Merry Tele, err.. X-Mas I mean. ;)

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds good to me!
    I'll have everybody at my house for two days.
    It's a pretty mellow affair, love it.

RevMike likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Great stuff Rev and thank you for all you contributed to the forum this year. Your post put me in mind of lyrics from "The End" on Abbey Road. Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year for you and the family.

RevMike and Paul in Colorado like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.