Gonna replace my SG with a 2nd Tele. What pickups could come close??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nashsed, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Out of curiosity, what is it about the SG that you find un-ergonomical? Balance? Weight? Control placement?
    I only as because I am playing with the idea of replacing one I traded off 25 years ago, and may have forgotten why I did so.

2. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

Apologies for the late reply.

My SG had terrible neck dive so it was very difficult to play standing up.

While sitting down the neck of the guitar is offset by a few inches so you end up having to reach to play the upper frets and that cause a great deal of discomfort to my left shoulder & neck.

I'm not proficient enough to play without looking at the fretboard from time to time so it really felt like i was turning my neck 90 degrees to the left to be able to see what i was playing.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's not that, an SG might be worth more than a MIM Standard, even if it's a satin SG.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I'm trying to understand how an SG is ergonomically lacking/deficient? Are you referring to playing while sitting, or standing?

If standing/neck dive is the issue, a wide strap will go a long way toward solving that issue. I had the precursor to the SG, the Epi Wilshire, and the strap really helped.

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Sorry to hear of your discomfort. I had an SG years ago, with years worth of regret for trading it off. My curiosity stems from my desire to have another SG, but have a concern there was something about playability that I had maybe forgotten that made it easy to part company all those years ago.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ask a man/woman who owns and plays an SG equipped with a Bigsby/Maestro/Sideways Vibrola about neck dive and they’ll look at you funny.

SG’s need a wang bar for balance/to counteract neck dive - you don’t have to use it !

My Gretsch SG (Corvette) is lightweight and perfectly balanced.

I wish it came with a Gigsby repro but the “lic by Bigsby” is just fine for the $450 the guitar cost.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

...which is why I wonder why folks think they need a lightweight Tele body. An ash body with common hardware & pups, fitted with a maple neck & quality tuners will be neck-heavy as well. In my crazy simple way of observation, a balanced guitar is 95% of the equation to having a comfortable axe to play, ahead on string action & body contours. My 1983 Carvin LB-50 bass could serve as a textbook example of how to balance an instrument. It is 100% maple, weighs a bunch more than any Tele, and is fatigue-free in the playing comfort dept.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.