gonna get my first bass

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
So I've been playing guitar for about 47 years. Professionally toured through out the late 70's, 80's in to the mid 90's. Along the way I've fooled around on the bass, even played a few songs on stage, on bass. But have never owned one. In the past year I've gotten in to recording. I've got decent software for drum tracks but would like to record my own bass lines.
So I've looked at 3 that interested me. Even though I don't really know much about the different bass models. I have very expensive tastes with guitars. My main 3 are 2 Martin Authentic's and a custom shop 52 Tele. However I don't want to spend that kind of money on a bass. However I'd like one that is easy to play.
The 3 I've looked at so far and was fooling around with in the music store today are the 75th Anniversary precision 60th anniversary road worn jazz and an American Performer Jazz bass.
Out of the 3 my least favorite was the 75h anniversary precision. Although I've played with many bass players using a vintage precision and loved there sound for classic country. However if thats all it can do I'd rather something a little more versatile. Not sure if that would be a jazz bass. The precision had really high action and just didn't feel great to me over all. Yes the action can be fixed with a set up.
My favorite of the 3 was the road worn. It had a really convincing relic job, far better than my brad paisley silver telecaster. The setup out of the box felt good and the neck with little finish on it felt fantastic. The American performer felt good to and it was a very close second. I could be happy with that. It wasn't much more than the road worn.
To all you bass players out there, is it better to come up with the few cents more for the American performer or are those MIM road worns a good enough guitar to get by for recording and maybe the odd gig?

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
I noticed for the American performer, penny finish its $300 cheaper (Canadian) and is the same price as the road worn. Can anyone tell me why that is> This is at Long and McQuade in Canada.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
You can't imagine how happy you would be to stop right here and get this only 1997 will do. 3/4 is the man way to play bass.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ll say the neck is the lock just like your guitars. MiM build quality is very good right now so don’t rule them out. Try a few if you can.
I buy mostly USA but not because they’re better made. Bottom line is they’re all cut on CNC mills. Good luck.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
To all you bass players out there, is it better to come up with the few cents more for the American performer or are those MIM road worns a good enough guitar to get by for recording and maybe the odd gig?
IMHO, yes it is worth the extra scratch for an American Performer P Bass. I've had mine since 2018 and it's all the bass I need and more. They're verastile, has the standard P Bass pickup as well as a single J Bass pickup in the bridge position. And the pickups sound great. The necks are smooth as butter and fast. And the colors look cool. That penny finish with the maple fingerboard looks classic '50s.

FndrPBass.jpg

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Good for you. You're getting one with frets. My first experience with bass was being in marching band in college and another bandmember said he saw me playing guitar at the freshman talent show and asked if I can play bass. I told him I didn't have a guitar or amp with me. He said not electric, double bass. It's an octave lower than a guitar. You can play tube and guitar you can play bass and I need a bass player. So I took one into a practice room and learned... that it ain't nothing like guitar. Have fun with your new bass.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
So I've been playing guitar for about 47 years. Professionally toured through out the late 70's, 80's in to the mid 90's. Along the way I've fooled around on the bass, even played a few songs on stage, on bass. But have never owned one. In the past year I've gotten in to recording. I've got decent software for drum tracks but would like to record my own bass lines.
So I've looked at 3 that interested me. Even though I don't really know much about the different bass models. I have very expensive tastes with guitars. My main 3 are 2 Martin Authentic's and a custom shop 52 Tele. However I don't want to spend that kind of money on a bass. However I'd like one that is easy to play.
The 3 I've looked at so far and was fooling around with in the music store today are the 75th Anniversary precision 60th anniversary road worn jazz and an American Performer Jazz bass.
Out of the 3 my least favorite was the 75h anniversary precision. Although I've played with many bass players using a vintage precision and loved there sound for classic country. However if thats all it can do I'd rather something a little more versatile. Not sure if that would be a jazz bass. The precision had really high action and just didn't feel great to me over all. Yes the action can be fixed with a set up.
My favorite of the 3 was the road worn. It had a really convincing relic job, far better than my brad paisley silver telecaster. The setup out of the box felt good and the neck with little finish on it felt fantastic. The American performer felt good to and it was a very close second. I could be happy with that. It wasn't much more than the road worn.

Whichever one of your choices that will get you 5 strings is the correct one.
YMMV, of course, but for me 5-strings is minimum. I play lots of stuff that needs low D and low C.
The C and D notes on a standard 4-string bass are ridiculously high for being bass notes!
Also, with a 5-string you don't have to tune to drop D anymore to play Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2. :)

bass_too_damn_high.png

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
Are the Fender already obligate?
I actually find my Fender Precision (second hand, no idea what model, certainly not made in the US) rather heavy and I'm a lot happier with my IBANEZ SR305. A lot lighter although it's a 5-string-bass, yet no head-dive.
Fender may have set the mark early, but frankly, there are a lot more options.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
I've had a 1972 Fender P-Bass and also a 1963 P-Bass.
I sold both years ago, was needing a bass for home recording a few years back.

On a whim, I tried a used Fender Squire P-Bass. I was stunned at how good it sounded, played.
At the time, I think new they were going for less than $200. I gave $129 for my used one.
Did I mention I am Scotch-Irish......aka "thrifty"??

Don't discount how good they are.

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
I have a friend thats selling a Pbass for a friend of his. Someone I don't know personally. I guess he has had some stem cell procedure for his Leukemia so he commissioned a friend of mine to sell it for him to minimize contact with others.
Its a 1996 limited run for Fenders 50th anniversary. Its #337 of 500. He's asking $1,600 Canadian (approx $1,250 US)
Just wondering if this is a good price? It does look in excellent condition in the pics I've seen on facebook. My friend only lives less than 5 minutes so at some point in the next day or 2 I'm going to get over there to have an in person look.
Its all original except the first owner changed out the white pickguard for a toirteshell pickguard that to me looks better with the sunburst.
To be honest if I had the choice I'd rather the precision 50th anniversary from 2001 that was butterscotch. Would be a perfect match with my custom shop 52.

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
YMMV, of course, but for me 5-strings is minimum. I play lots of stuff that needs low D and low C.
The C and D notes on a standard 4-string bass are ridiculously high for being bass notes!
Also, with a 5-string you don't have to tune to drop D anymore to play Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2. :)

View attachment 949479
Likely I'll not face too many situations where I wish I had a 5 string. I'm not aspiring to be an accomplished bass player so much as just having a bit of fun with it for recording and maybe, eventually the odd gig.

middy

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 949479
🤮

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Yes!! I’m late to the party…

Did you grab one yet???

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
Yes!! I’m late to the party…

Did you grab one yet???

Not yet. A buddy of mine gave me his Ibanez bass to use while he's in Florida for a couple months. Even when he gets back he says he only needs it about once a month for a gig. So I'll likely be using it for the long term. So I took the opportunity to buy a Custom shop strat instead.
Eventually I'll get my own but now I have some time to play many and find what I like.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Not yet. A buddy of mine gave me his Ibanez bass to use while he's in Florida for a couple months. Even when he gets back he says he only needs it about once a month for a gig. So I'll likely be using it for the long term. So I took the opportunity to buy a Custom shop strat instead.
Eventually I'll get my own but now I have some time to play many and find what I like.
Custom shop Strat!!!! Ooohhh.

kctelegas

TDPRI Member
Check out Mustang basses. 30" scale which may be an easier transition from guitar.
My story mirrors yours in that I've played bass for 50+ years and only in the last year have I finally gotten serious about studying guitar. I have P and J basses, but the Mustang has been my go to for the last couple of months. They are making them with PJ pickup configurations now, but mine has the single split Mustang pickup. I also use flats on all of them, so I'm going for a very specific thing.
I'm not usually attracted to either signature models or relicking, but if I were buying today I would check out this one: