Golfers and Guitarist, cut from the same cloth?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have come to realize that golfers and guitarist are one and the same.

We want to get better, but we spend our time watching videos of others playing and we don't spend enough time practicing ourselves.

I came to this realization today as I am going to meet a guy later to buy a set of irons that have really good reviews online. I have watched people hit these clubs, but I have not hit them myself. I am hoping that somehow these clubs will transform my playing from average to above average even though I probably will practice about the same with them as I have with my older clubs.

I guess I am just doomed to be in both boats.
When you get around to it, I just gotta know what you're buying!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I do both hobbies and agree about searching over practice and focus on gear. Where I do see a big difference is golfer sees gear as an expense where guitar player sees gear as a financial investment. At my age I know several people with very expensive golf sets piled in the back of the garage like so much lumber with zero perception of monetary value. I’ve never heard a golfer complain that no one will buy their five year old clubs.
I've given up! Last year about this time of the year, I was just about cleaned out on "spare" clubs, then the spring came, and... Now I have just about the same amount of "spare" gear as I had when I had my selloff. I have a plethora of drivers and putters. Yet I only use one driver, and an old Scotty Cameron Laguna putter my wife found in a yard sale. Why I don't just leave that stuff where it's at, I don't know. At least I'm not buying guitars, and amps anymore, (yet).

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I was always a better golfer than guitar player.

I still play guitar but quit golf after the “fun” wasn’t there two rounds in a row. Put my clubs in a neighbor’s garage sale with an inflated price tag. They sold in less than two hours and I haven’t player a stroke since then

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
My BIL plays golf and occasionally invites me to go. I always tell him, “I already have one frustrating time-consuming hobby your sister doesn’t like…why would I start a second one?”

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was always a better golfer than guitar player.

I still play guitar but quit golf after the “fun” wasn’t there two rounds in a row. Put my clubs in a neighbor’s garage sale with an inflated price tag. They sold in less than two hours and I haven’t player a stroke since then
I've been playing golf, maybe a year or two less than guitar. I hardly play guitar anymore, but I probably won't ever entirely quit as long as I'm still alive. The golf thing, I used to play golf, what I do now can't be compared in any way to what I did then. Still, as long as I'm able to stand upright, and swing a club, I'm not going to quit. Once in a while, I make a really good putt, or chip one in from thirty yards out, and for a moment, I'm back there when I could actually play.

TheFuzzDog

Tele-Meister
They are exactly the same. They both require esoteric and expensive gear, both require knowing how to schmooze to get the best times to play, and both will never ever make the average person any money whatsoever.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I would say this about irons, they are much better today for the AVERAGE golfer than they were even twenty years ago. They are easier to elevate and stay straighter towards the target once struck. Almost all of the irons made today, are aimed at the average guy. The pros, almost all of them, (there have been exceptions) use an entirely different iron than weekenders do.

The irons pros use has very little weigh distributed around the perimeters of the club, most of the weight of the pro iron is directly behind the ball. (Muscle back) This allows one to put English on the ball much like a pool player does with the cue ball. IE working the ball left to right, and right to left. Everyman clubs are made to go straight and it's hard to maneuver them.

Woods (but they are metal) are better now, but not greatly so. I could hit the early Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon about as well as I hit one five times as big now.

I hope Preacher isn't disappointed. Most of the gain he might get is if the irons happen to fit him better as far as loft and lie are concerned. I played a set of Ping G20 irons that were upright, but not enough so for me. I sold them and bought a set of 2019 Taylormade m2 irons, and they fit me much better, and I hit them very straight which is all I am trying to do at this late stage in my game.

Almost all golfers think they hit the ball further than they actually do. It is this simple, if you hit it the three hundred yard drives you say you can, the ball would disappear in the air in the distance even on a perfect day for seeing it. Most average golfers hit the ball between 220, and 250 yards, and they always have for the last fifty years. ;) With all the improvements in equipment the average handicap has only moved two strokes in the last twenty years, that ought to tell you something! ;)

Preacher will let you know how these new irons work out.

The good thing about me is I am cheap, so if I buy most any type of gear and it doesn't work out, then I can flip it and usually make a buck or two on the flip.
That is also the bad thing about me is my gear is usually not so good lol.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
This same guy made up HIS rule about bunker play. Since the YOU KNOW WHAT, and they took the rakes out of the traps, he would toss his ball out of the trap onto the green. One day he threw it out, then he tried to claim a birdie because it rolled in. The rakes have been back in the traps for a year, he still claims he can toss it out. One thing no one is ever going to say to him, nice shot out of the trap!! ;) He also invented the thirty foot improve your lie foot wedge. 😂😂😂
I played with that guy.

We decided at the beginning we were playing for lunch, low score wins. So we get to the last hole and I asked for an update and he tells me that I am five down.
I am thinking 5 DOWN? How am I FIVE DOWN? We were really well matched and we seemed to score the same on most holes.

So on 18 I hit a wedge to about six feet, my best shot of the day. He hits his second and comes up short of the green.
I go up on the green and mark my ball while he hits his third up, he runs it past the hole about 10 feet so he is still out. He putts number four and it settles about a foot from the hole. I tell him that is good and swat his ball back to him.
I line up my birdie putt and pushed it just burning the edge and tap in for par.

We walk back to the cart and I tell him that was tough to take a par on that hole with that good second shot. He says yeah, put me down for a par as well.

I looked at him and said, you did not make par, you made bogey. He said, no, it was only four shots. I recounted his shot sequence, drive, wedge from fairway that came up short of the green, chip on, missed 10 foot putt and the gimme, that makes five.
He says, no, you gave me the 10 footer, it was close enough.

I had to explain to him that a gimme DID NOT MEAN that he got it in the hole, it only meant that I expected him to make the short next putt so he did not have to bother with it but he still had to count it as a stroke.

He said, oh well, I was counting all of those as good. Maybe we should all just buy our own lunch...

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I played with that guy.

We decided at the beginning we were playing for lunch, low score wins. So we get to the last hole and I asked for an update and he tells me that I am five down.
I am thinking 5 DOWN? How am I FIVE DOWN? We were really well matched and we seemed to score the same on most holes.

So on 18 I hit a wedge to about six feet, my best shot of the day. He hits his second and comes up short of the green.
I go up on the green and mark my ball while he hits his third up, he runs it past the hole about 10 feet so he is still out. He putts number four and it settles about a foot from the hole. I tell him that is good and swat his ball back to him.
I line up my birdie putt and pushed it just burning the edge and tap in for par.

We walk back to the cart and I tell him that was tough to take a par on that hole with that good second shot. He says yeah, put me down for a par as well.

I looked at him and said, you did not make par, you made bogey. He said, no, it was only four shots. I recounted his shot sequence, drive, wedge from fairway that came up short of the green, chip on, missed 10 foot putt and the gimme, that makes five.
He says, no, you gave me the 10 footer, it was close enough.

I had to explain to him that a gimme DID NOT MEAN that he got it in the hole, it only meant that I expected him to make the short next putt so he did not have to bother with it but he still had to count it as a stroke.

He said, oh well, I was counting all of those as good. Maybe we should all just buy our own lunch...
When I play with my little golfing buddy, he hits 'til he's happy off the tee, I don't care, I enjoy his company. I usually manage to beat him no matter how many liberties he takes. He actually is a good driver of the ball, (sometimes) but when it's bad, it's bad. He simply doesn't have a short game, he can putt decently, but he's two shots away from getting it on the green from thirty or forty yards.

The really odd thing is, years ago, when we actually belonged to a club, and he had an established handicap, he played by the rules, and was steady as a rock. He could always play at least to his handicap, together we were a great team. Now he says, never let a bad shot get in the way of having a good time! Maybe he's right.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Preacher will let you know how these new irons work out.

The good thing about me is I am cheap, so if I buy most any type of gear and it doesn't work out, then I can flip it and usually make a buck or two on the flip.
That is also the bad thing about me is my gear is usually not so good lol.
Though I have pretty decent stuff, I don't pay much for my stuff either. I wait for the right opportunity, then buy. I can usually work it out so that I don't lose more than the price of a grip on a club. My wife found the Scotty Cameron and three other putters at a yard sale for five bucks for all of them. She almost didn't buy them because the Scotty looked like it was old. It cleaned up fairly well, but I don't care about the looks, it's that melting butter feel you get when you stroke it that suits me. Lots of stuff has come and gone, but the Scotty has been in my bag for years.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Well I did spend three hours watching youtuber golf stuff last night. I also want a new set of Taylormade irons although my current set is not that old and the new ones really are most likely not any "better". Oh this despite the fact that I probably won't be on a golf course again until probably April or May. It's nuts.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have GIVEN away a ton of clubs in my day. When I know someone is just starting out, I give them something. One of the guys I play with had a good set of clubs, but a junk store putter. One day I brought him a nice Ping putter that is a current model that I had picked up cheap and gave it to him. That was three years ago, he's still putting with it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well I did spend three hours watching youtuber golf stuff last night. I also want a new set of Taylormade irons although my current set is not that old and the new ones really are most likely not any "better". Oh this despite the fact that I probably won't be on a golf course again until probably April or May. It's nuts.
I had all TaylorMade stuff save for my five wood a Callaway, and my putter, then I played with a friend who had just been given a Cobra 60 degree wedge he tried it a few times, and just handed it to me. I stuck it in the bag, because my lobe wedge was a 58 degree, and I thought to give it a try. First shot I hit with the cobra I could see it was going to stay in the bag. It juices like the ball like it's an old balata ball! I can hit it high, and low, and throw that hop and stop shot at the pin with it.