1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Golf Courses do their course maintenance on Monday, and so do I.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have a golf course, but I do have a lawn, we take great pride in having a nice yard, and plenty of trees, flowers and shrubs. Everything is in bloom right now. There was nothing here when we bought the place, it was nearly new and had been foreclosed on. We put in a bid as is, took our chances and it turned out just fine. We planted everything my wife wanted to.

The neighbor's cat next door and I have finally come to a livable agreement, he craps by the gate into my back yard, no longer directly in front of it, but off to the side. Mimicking the cottage industry in Delaware of composting the remains of humans who no longer have need of their bodies, he carefully covers the offending turds allowing me the opportunity to collect them and put them in the waste disposal at my leisure. It has become clear to me that cats are the true overlords of the universe, or at least here on terra firma.

nojazzhere, JL_LI and IanMoss like this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”
    Christopher Hitchens

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd rather have a moat than a yard

fortunately I live on blowtorch island

RobRiggs and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I live next door to a golf course. They do maintenance every day. In the morning. Before the members arrive. Starting around 5am this time of year...

Your post timing is funny, in a way, as I was just talking to the wife about the fact we can’t hear them today (it’s just gone 6am now). Noticeable by their absence today.

I mow my lawn when it needs it. About every three hours it feels like, in peak rainy season...

Pax/
    Dean

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I worked several summers on the maintenance and mowing crew at a 18-holer when I was younger. The only thing different about Mondays was you didn’t have to quit mowing again and again to let people play through. I used to like to back my Steiner 420 up under this one Catalpa tree when they’d play through...shady and breezy.

If course construction or sod work was underway, it stayed underway.

The course had fairly small membership though...at a busier course working during play hours might be impossible.

6. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Right up to the very edge of terra firma.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Just like the Carnac the magnificent, I knew you were going to say that before you did!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

They do some things that need to be done here through the week. Traditionally country clubs are actually closed to play on Mondays to allow the maintenance to be done without running afoul of golfers in play. Municipal golf courses are open seven days a week. Their employees listening to tunes on headsets generally just go ahead and mow the greens while you are attempting to putt. :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We had a big black cat, found at a shelter, and a pit/boxer mix rescued as a puppy. They got along quite well.

The cat's fur tended to tangle and he really objected to having it combed out. One evening, my wife was combing him and he was getting madder by the minute. He managed to escape from her lap, walk around the coffee table and then whack the dog (no claws). Nobody was hurt but it was funny seeing the cat take out his anger on the innocent dog that was simply sitting on the rug.

It made me ask myself - how often do I take out my frustration on an innocent bystander?

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I share the yard with rabbits, the trees with birds and squirrels, the ground with bugs and worms, the house with dogs, and my wife is the overlord of everything.

11. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I worked on a municipal course through high school and college. I mowed greens on the weekends in the dark before sunrise to get ahead of the idiots who wanted to tee off at the crack of dawn. I hated those guys.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I JUST finished watching The Shape of Water.....yeah, I'm usually behind the times. I think my favorite scene (and the one appropriate here) was when the creature "met" Pandora the cat. ;)

Toto'sDad and (deleted member) like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.