Goldilocks necks...

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
I reckon it'd be easier to get vintera modified and change the pickups and electronics than do anything else. You've already said you like the neck.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I had a 50s Classic Tele and agree that it had a thicker C shape that's not quite a deep as the current Vintera 50s U shape but thicker than a Modern C or the 60s C that was on the old AVRI '62 Strats and Classic 60s Strats/Teles. I stupidly "traded up" from it to an AVRI '52 Tele; for me the Classic 50s worked better and I should have just kept it.

The Vintera 50s Modified Tele has either exactly the same neck as the Baja 50s or very close, but it has a satin finish back instead of a glossy back, and the recently released JV Modified 50s and 60s Teles (MIJ models) both have a soft V neck shape. But of course the Vintera 50s Modified has the same pickups/wiring as the Baja 50s (makes sense considering the Vintera Modified replaced the Baja); the JV Modified Teles have the same wiring but use their own MIJ pickups - the JV Modifieds use pickups made by the manufacture, FujiGen.

Of course the JV Modifieds are pricier than the Vinteras; here in the USA they are $100 less than an American Performer.
Love my Classic 50s. Yes, the neck is beefier than the modern C. My favorite Tele, even over the Baja.

IMG_20210918_174930168.jpg

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
@FuncleManson @IrishBread69 I *like* the Baja neck well enough, but I'm not totally in love with it. It's just the only thing between the 50s U and the modern C that I've played which still has decent twang.

Hoping to get some other suggestions.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Yes but I don't know what that is! Help!

Looking for more necks and completes to try...

(And I'd prefer to spend $1000, but let's leave that aside for now.)

I've never been to London, but being such a big city, it should have some guitar shops you could visit and actually try out guitars until you find one that feels just right.

I do realize that because of the pandemic, conditions are much different right now than they were several years ago - but even so . . .

That is how I found out what I really like in a guitar - by actually playing enough different ones.

The feel of the neck means more to me than any other factor of a guitar.

I've fooled myself enough times by buying something based on a description or a picture - what sounded or looked just right didn't always translate into actually "feeling right" ;)

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
No idea what the dimensions are, but I love the neck on the aughts-era Squier Tele Standard that I got used for next to nothin'. Chunky but not onerous. Inky rosewood board, nice nut, black painted headstock.

Attachments

• 20211015_154803.jpg
    20211015_154803.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 14

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
I've never been to London, but being such a big city, it should have some guitar shops you could visit and actually try out guitars until you find one that feels just right.

I do realize that because of the pandemic, conditions are much different right now than they were several years ago - but even so . . .

That is how I found out what I really like in a guitar - by actually playing enough different ones.

The feel of the neck means more to me than any other factor of a guitar.

I've fooled myself enough times by buying something based on a description or a picture - what sounded or looked just right didn't always translate into actually "feeling right" ;)

Plenty of guitar shops, but even on Denmark Street it's hard to find that many interesting teles at the moment. I guess the supply chain issues have driven demand for second hand up, and teles seem to be in fashion.

I've played plenty of them, just not finding what I'm looking for. Predominantly you come across modern Cs, the "deep C" on the AmPro II, and the 50s U they're doing on the new Vintera 50s. And a few second hand Bajas and 60s MIJ models here and there.

But honestly vintage spec second hand stuff seems to be very thin on the ground right now...

Peter Graham

TDPRI Member
I've got a MIJ 50s Traditional. It has a U-shape neck and, apparently (although I have no idea as I know very little about such matters) an early Tele sound. I can say that it plays and twangs beautifully. It might be worth a try, although there only appear to be a couple left in the UK. A place in Romford had one for ages and may still do, which I imagine would be reasonably convenient for you.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
I've got a MIJ 50s Traditional. It has a U-shape neck and, apparently (although I have no idea as I know very little about such matters) an early Tele sound. I can say that it plays and twangs beautifully. It might be worth a try, although there only appear to be a couple left in the UK. A place in Romford had one for ages and may still do, which I imagine would be reasonably convenient for you.
Thanks, that's a good suggestion.
Do you know how thick the U is on it? Feel really beefy or a little slimmer?
Looks like they have one at Guitarguitar in Camden at the moment, worth a try.

Peter Graham

TDPRI Member
The neck is definitely pretty chunky.. That suits me fine because I am a tall chap with hands to match, but I'm afraid I don't know where it sits on the wider scale of these things. I got the impression that it was a fat or full U shape, if that is any help. Probably worth a trip to Camden to have a look, though? Last time I was there, a weed- based life form offered to buy my T-shirt.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
I was in GG Camden last week. Stock is pretty good at the moment, I reckon you would definitely find something you're into there.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
My Goldilocks neck is on my Gibson SG but I still play my Fenders. My opinion on what makes for a perfect neck has changed over time. I'm sure your opinion will too. Find a guitar you like and start playing it. It will grow on you until it doesn't anymore but in the mean time you'll have become more comfortable with things about it. No guitar is perfect. That's why most of us have more of them than we need. And for the most part we keep playing them. I'm not saying the neck isn't important, but making it the object of your focus will hold back your playing.

supersoldier71

Tele-Afflicted
I'm hunting for a moderately priced twangy tele with classic looks and tone, but want something with a neck that's neither super thick nor super thin.

This is actually harder than it sounds!

The vast majority of MIMs, the Standards and Players, have the modern C. And most of the twangy MIM reissues have the 50s U. I don't hate either neck, and I'd gravitate toward the U for a tele if I had to choose. But I'm looking for that goldilocks sweet spot.

The trouble seems to be finding it on something that really twangs...

I like the Baja neck, and I may go that route ... but I don't like the Twisted Tele pup, or have any interest in the 4-way or S1, so it seems a waste given the price of Bajas these days. What else has a "soft v"?

I'm really interested in the Classic Series 69 Thinline for that rounder twang and the slimmer U, but they're very hard to find in the wood to try.

What else is worth hunting for?

Someone mentioned the MIM '59 Road Worns have nice necks with less shoulder?

Do any of the Japanese reissues fit the bill?

What about 60s reissues? The ones I've played mostly have the wrong tone, and the glossy fat C is kinda meh for me.

Do I need to step up to AO / AV / AVRI level? And, even then, which ones fit the bill?

And ... I know, I know ... everyone is going to say: "swap the neck" or buy a partscaster - but I'm not really at that level of comfort with mods, and I'd like to buy something stock of value that I can resell if its not right for me down the road.
Fender 10/56 is just about ideal for me. Vintera 50s Teles and Strats have it, as do a few others.