Goldilocks necks...

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
I'm hunting for a moderately priced twangy tele with classic looks and tone, but want something with a neck that's neither super thick nor super thin.

This is actually harder than it sounds!

The vast majority of MIMs, the Standards and Players, have the modern C. And most of the twangy MIM reissues have the 50s U. I don't hate either neck, and I'd gravitate toward the U for a tele if I had to choose. But I'm looking for that goldilocks sweet spot.

The trouble seems to be finding it on something that really twangs...

I like the Baja neck, and I may go that route ... but I don't like the Twisted Tele pup, or have any interest in the 4-way or S1, so it seems a waste given the price of Bajas these days. What else has a "soft v"?

I'm really interested in the Classic Series 69 Thinline for that rounder twang and the slimmer U, but they're very hard to find in the wood to try.

What else is worth hunting for?

Someone mentioned the MIM '59 Road Worns have nice necks with less shoulder?

Do any of the Japanese reissues fit the bill?

What about 60s reissues? The ones I've played mostly have the wrong tone, and the glossy fat C is kinda meh for me.

Do I need to step up to AO / AV / AVRI level? And, even then, which ones fit the bill?

And ... I know, I know ... everyone is going to say: "swap the neck" or buy a partscaster - but I'm not really at that level of comfort with mods, and I'd like to buy something stock of value that I can resell if its not right for me down the road.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Buy the Tele you like and put a custom (or Baja) neck on it. Warmoth, Musikraft, Parklane, etc. have plenty of neck profile options. For less money, even the non-custom, after-market outfits (AllParts, Might Mite) have many options.

If you don't wanna end up with two necks, you might be able to find a loaded Tele body you like on Stratosphere.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

+1 Look on Stratosphere for a neck you like and a loaded body you like. Bolt them together and do a simple setup.

If you run into problems during the setup then take it to your local guitar tech for the final tweak, which is about $50ish.

Watch these youtube channels to step up your guitar setup game: Frudua, Sam Deeks, and Daves World Of Fun Stuff.

(The Baja/Vintera 4-way switch is my auto-mod on any Tele. It provides a stealth Les Paul Junior option, like getting a 'free' guitar, or via modding the switch can be found around $12ish).

If you buy a full guitar, and locate a neck you like, as long as you retain the original neck you can swap that back on the guitar and sell the guitar in it's original configuration. Keep the favorite neck for the next guitar. Pretty low risk in the scheme of things.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
Look at an American Professional. The deep C on that guitar was my goldilocks.

I played an AmPro II the other day. I'd been thinking the deep C might be the one. Wasn't blown away though.
Is it the same neck on the I and II ?

The whole guitar felt really top notch, everything honed to perfection ... but a little modern and, for me, lacking character. Which makes me think I need to go for a more vintage spec...

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I played an AmPro II the other day. I'd been thinking the deep C might be the one. Wasn't blown away though.

The whole guitar felt really top notch, everything honed to perfection ... but a little modern and, for me, lacking character. Which makes me think I need to go for a more vintage spec...

I believe the I and II have the same neck.

If you are going more vintage, then you are looking at a 60s C. A bit more heft than modern C, but many if not most of the 60s necks are 7.25 radius. For me, 9.5 was a must, which eliminated most vintage 60s.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
I believe the I and II have the same neck.

If you are going more vintage, then you are looking at a 60s C. A bit more heft than modern C, but many if not most of the 60s necks are 7.25 radius. For me, 9.5 was a must, which eliminated most vintage 60s.

I don't mind 7.25 that much.

I know very little about the 60s models. Are all the 60s C necks pretty similar?
You don't see many of them with maple boards either...

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm hunting for a moderately priced twangy tele with classic looks and tone, but want something with a neck that's neither super thick nor super thin.

What's "moderately priced" to you?

I think your best, perhaps most affordable, option is to go the partscaster route to get the exact features you want. Otherwise, you'll have to compromise somewhere.

You might try to find a used Classic 50's, kind of the forerunner to the Baja and Vintera models, but they're not easy to find affordably these days thanks to desirable specs like nitro finish and ash body.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
Love that body.
But seems a little more rock-oriented, with the hotter strat-style pickups?

I've also been biased against anything without a maple board, but maybe I shouldn't be...
They're not really that hot, but they are quite versatile. The other guitars that are band brought one to practice last week and it could do twang and rock no problem, and the neck was very comfortable.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
On price: I'm in the UK, and I'd ideally be spending MIM money £400-800, but I could go higher if that's what it takes. But let's say under $2000?

Really just trying to find more models to try out right now.

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
I appreciate everyone recommending the partscaster route, but even if I was up for it the issue is I haven't found the right neck yet!

What I'm really looking for here is a list of models to try.

Extra credit if they come on a guitar with twangy specs ;)

PurpleSage

Tele-Meister
For $2000, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to find or assemble exactly what you're looking for.

Yes but I don't know what that is! Help!

Looking for more necks and completes to try...

(And I'd prefer to spend $1000, but let's leave that aside for now.)

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Yes but I don't know what that is! Help!

Looking for more necks and completes to try...

(And I'd prefer to spend $1000, but let's leave that aside for now.)
I thought you said you like the Baja neck. Soft V, .88(ish) at the first fret to .98(ish) at the 12th fret. If I were you, I'd look for a neck with similar specs to that.

You seem very particular about what you're looking for. I'm sorry to say, but if you're not willing to swap necks or do some mods, you might not be able to find exactly the combination of guitar and neck that you're looking for. That's why I often suggest partscasters.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I've been looking for those, actually. What is the neck like? Softer than the current Vintera 50s U?

It's suppose to be a "50's C" shape.

I had a 50s Classic Tele and agree that it had a thicker C shape that's not quite a deep as the current Vintera 50s U shape but thicker than a Modern C or the 60s C that was on the old AVRI '62 Strats and Classic 60s Strats/Teles. I stupidly "traded up" from it to an AVRI '52 Tele; for me the Classic 50s worked better and I should have just kept it.

The Vintera 50s Modified Tele has either exactly the same neck as the Baja 50s or very close, but it has a satin finish back instead of a glossy back, and the recently released JV Modified 50s and 60s Teles (MIJ models) both have a soft V neck shape. But of course the Vintera 50s Modified has the same pickups/wiring as the Baja 50s (makes sense considering the Vintera Modified replaced the Baja); the JV Modified Teles have the same wiring but use their own MIJ pickups - the JV Modifieds use pickups made by the manufacture, FujiGen.

Of course the JV Modifieds are pricier than the Vinteras; here in the USA they are $100 less than an American Performer.

LJOHNS

TDPRI Member
Look at an American Professional. The deep C on that guitar was my goldilocks.

I felt the same about the Pro. The deep C neck is not deep at all. Felt almost exactly like the modern C. I really don’t like the v-mod pick ups. The whole guitar is very well put together and the example I have is nice and light though. I have decided I like my Baja much more.
My next one will be another partscaster for sure with either a Warmoth 59 round back or Clapton Soft V. Probably Lollar pick ups.