Goldie deserved an upgrade...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ronzo, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

I’ve posted a pic or two of Goldie, the Bullet Strat my lady bought for me, in other threads. It plays and sounds great. But the cost-conscious trapezoid tuners have always been a little frustrating - a 10 to 1 ratio, and a grainy feel. It’s been tolerable for five years, but I finally decided to “dress her up for the dance” with a set of Hipshot vintage staggered locking tuners:
    43ACBFA3-C8F8-4107-BD2D-B9413BF8A278.jpeg
    7800C676-F3BE-4752-AA0E-A2C02DEC278E.jpeg
    Yes, yes... I will fill in the exposed screw hole. And no, the Hipshots were NOT a drop-in replacement; the headstock tuner holes were 0.5mm too small! But some time and a sharp drill bit, along with some careful alignment, allowed installation.

Thanks again to my lovely lady, who indulges me, for a wonderful gift. :)

dan40, Zepfan, JL_LI and 7 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

Ronzo likes this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great guitar!

Ronzo likes this.
  4. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

Cool strap!......guitar too....!

Ronzo likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

:cool::cool::cool:

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

One day I will have a gold guitar. One day . . .

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Never use a drill bit for enlarging tuner holes in a head-stock, use a tapered hand reamer.

8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

When a tapered hand reamer is not carried by either my local Home Depot, Lowe’s, or Ace Hardware in my area, my choices were limited.

I matched the size of the new drill bit I had to buy with the new tuner shafts using my digital calipers, and bought new a drill bit that would be capable of being used with my power screwdriver, to avoid making a high-speed mistake.

The tapered reamer would still need to be used from both the front and back of the headstock, and a drill bit of the proper size would still need to be used to clean up the middle of the headstock holes to allow a proper fit. Since the holes needed to be drilled only a half a mm oversize, I thought I could start the bit by hand and get it started straight. I then went to the other side of the headstock and did the same thing to avoid chunking at the hole. After drilling and checking for proper tuner fit, I used a countersink bit, also mounted in the power screwdriver, to slightly countersink the holes on both sides, so the holes were all free of splintering. It all fit with the holes even and with no slop around the tuner shafts.

Here’s the bit I bought and used:
    43DF0D0F-CA72-4502-9D38-459822513DE9.png

11/32” is a proper fit for the Hipshot tuners I used.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I work carefully. And this was not my first rodeo.

JL_LI likes this.
  9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

A hand reamer is a good investment if you ever decide to install tuning keys in the future.

Sure you need to do both sides, that's a "no-brainer", but you'll actually get a better fit.

Using a drill bit to enlarge tuning key holes could very well cause "blow-out" on the back side of your head-stock. That means you'll possibly tear out a section of your head-stock by using a drill, and it happens more than you'd think. I learned about them over 40 years ago from luthier Don Teeter.

Tapered hand reamers are a basic tool used by luthier's in a shop and can be found at many tool suppliers. I've seen them for sale at many retail tool shops.

Sure you can use a drill, myself I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.