1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Golden Age Bodies from StewMac

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Swoop, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,...haped_bodies/Golden_Age_52_Body_for_Tele.html

Has anyone used one of these bodies for a build yet? They seem to be a fairly recent addition to the StewMac catalogue. They've sold Mighty Mite bodies for ages, but I'm not really a fan of them. These Golden Age bodies look good. Available in ash and pine. Final sanding is required obviously. I think they're reasonably priced as well.

2. Jim Hoffman

Jim Hoffman TDPRI Member

Also intrigued by these, especially the clear pine Tele. I just got the catalog yesterday with the Golden Age bodies on the cover. It says "made in Ohio." I couldn't figure out who might be making them for StewMac, if in fact it is someone else.

3. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

You can find much better deals with a little bit of looking. Not sure who makes them, but I feel they are overpriced for what you get.

4. probablyjoel

probablyjoel TDPRI Member

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think they jumped on the pine bandwagon a little too late. They are a few years behind everybody else and I think demand has peaked already. Now if they sold them for 29.95 like most everybody else, they'd be OK.

6. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

For the price, I'd rather go with Warmoth. More p/u and bridge choices. Unless you need to have pine. My Dragon Tele (swamp ash) was about $200 including shipping. Stew Mac kills you on shipping!

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey GB,

When I saw they wanted $145 for a knotty Tele body I almost fell off my chair. Really good knotty bodies are available on line for about $50 at best with stated weights and pictures of the actual bodies..... I have one myself from Red Dirt and love it. It was the best therapy I've used to break my OCD stuff about bodies must be perfect. Now I prefer the beat up stuff but naturally beat up, not fake beat up. I think they may need to adjust their prices on that one.

Rob

8. guitarbuilder

Well I think there is a point where somebody should at least get paid minimum wage for their time and then there's wood cost, tool wear, machine wear, energy, time to package it up, packing tape, gas for postage, time to clean up the mess, etc. Most of these guys aren't making any profit if they think a bit about it when they sell under 40 dollars. It is a poor business model and it hurts people trying to earn a living. I don't care if you have a router set for each step and a pattern to go with it. It is gonna take at least a couple of hours to make a body. $150 was cheap for pine bodies 5 years ago.

9. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

+1...over priced!

10. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Stew Mac is usually overpriced on their stuff but the turnaround time and customer service are top notch.

With the current status of most of the lumber species considered "tonewood" such as Swamp Ash up in the air, I'd say we'll be seeing a lot more use of Pine and other domestic woods. While Pine bodies have been around in the builder circles for a while, the more mainstream manufacturers are just now getting to the party.

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Im almost 100% sure Larry makes those bodies for stewmac. His ebay handle is Ohlar. I have ordered a lot of wood from him in the past, and its always been high quality stuff. he even sent me one of those little tele body pick trays with my name engraved on it. I believe his tdpri forum name is SATCH.

12. TeleTramp

TeleTramp Tele-Meister

I have Ohlar as a saved seller on ebay. Good deals and fair prices. Clear white pine body blanks for 38 bucks. There's a knotty pine body like on the Stewmac site with a high bid of 75 bucks right now. They look gorgeous. Wish I could get the blanks sent here but he doesn't ship blanks to Canada apparently, only the bodies.

13. guitarbuilder

That's what I would have guessed, but he is in WV...well... technically.

14. guitarbuilder

I'd imagine you could get your own eastern white pine right in your own back yard.

15. TeleTramp

TeleTramp Tele-Meister

Believe it or not, most of it is shipped to the USA. Getting harder to get clear pine here (expensive too) I could go find a tree and chop it down and go to a mill and get them to cut it up, but the expense would be far too much for me.

16. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I totally agree and this is very well said. I recently cut a pine body just to see how quick I could do a quality job, after all routing, ferrule holes, roundover etc it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to be ready for paint.

If I sold it for $40 I would roughly be losing $100 on every pine body I made, I could give myself a pay cut and only lose about $65 per body though:D (think that business model through for a sec). That loss includes a small percentage for tool wear, but doesn't include clean up time or the time it took to acquire the materials, make templates, maintenance etc etc.

All said and done Stewmac's price at first seems high, but I think that's about what they should cost if you were trying to run a successful business selling unfinished bodies. People selling them for $40 are hurting the industry IMO.

Anyway, sorry for the side track, I don't think this was what the OP was looking for :D.

17. Colt W. Knight

His address on the shipping labels is Ohio.

18. guitarbuilder

I got my stewmac catalog yesterday. I saw the pick holders in there as well....:).

19. Colt W. Knight

Thats what tipped me off, and Larry told me he was building a ton of bodies this summer.

20. guitarbuilder

I might have to make up some tele shaped M&M dishes...LOL.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.