Gold Plexi Pickguard

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by oregomike, Jun 16, 2021.

1. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Hey All-

I was about to ask y'all where I could find the same type of clear gold pickguard Novo, Fano (and maybe others?) uses since I couldn't find them anywhere, that is until I found out the correct name. "Gold Plexi" So, instead of a question, here's a source in case anyone else was wondering too. I think they look amazing.

https://decoboom.com/products/deep-gold-jazzmaster-pickguard-acrylic ($60 isn't bad considering Novo charges $100 when doing a custom guitar.)

This is just the first link I stumbled on. If anyone has a better source, please share it!

novo.jpg fano.jpg

StevesBoogie and SerpentRuss like this.
  2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

3. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

4. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Is it not just clear plexi with the underside painted gold?

jfgesquire likes this.
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Exactly.

My 1968 Gretsch Country Gentleman pickguard was signed by Chet himself in the early 90s. I still played it out and I didn't want the guard getting ruined so I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of plexi, cut it to shape, sanded and polished the edges and spray painted the back with gold paint.

On stage it looks pretty darn good.

6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Those are all clear guards back-painted with gold paint. Some look like the clear edge is translucent when a deeper gold (orange) is used on the back. If they were translucent, you would see the pickups routes and wiring through the guard.

You can buy a clear guard and paint in with a can of spray paint in any color you prefer.

oregomike likes this.
  7. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Could be? Haven't seen one up close but wondered about that. But the Reverb one was opaque.

8. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Whatever works. I just like the final look when it's on the guitar. Of course, that leaves it open to create my own color. : )

9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Yeah, a clear guard lets you spray whatever color you want.

I am working on a Strat that has a clear pickguard, knobs and closed pickup covers. I am going to back-paint them all to match.

On the tele partscaster in my avatar, the bridge came gold or chrome. I bought both and swapped the gold bridge saddles to the chrome bridge. They were more bronze than gold, so I bought clear speed knobs and clear Gretsch rings and mixed a matching color and back painted them. It's not as dramatic as a full pickguard but I liked the matched color better than just buying the gold knobs and rings.

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  10. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.