1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gold pen on black headstock

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by gee., Apr 26, 2017.

1. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

I have an LP style guitar. I want to have it say "Low Price" in the LP signature script. Would a metallic gold pen work? I thought about a waterslide decal but wasn't sure if it would show up over black or how I could print the gold with an inkjet. Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've wet sand down through the poly on a headstock enough to remove the logo before. You can almost feel how thin it is by the raised lettering under the poly.

After that you can do what you please & lay down some protection over your new.

3. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

I'm gonna keep "ammoon" on there. But all that blank space needs something. I was hoping a gold pen will show and not turn a weird color.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A paint pen should definitely work, but you have to be careful not to mess it up and you may have to go over it twice. Try it on paper first, and wipe the headstock before doing it so dust or fingerprints don't get in the way.

5. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

should work. if you want it to look really good, get "One Shot" paint from an auto paint or art store.... thats what pin stripers use. it can be clear coated over too. I made a silkscreen to do a couple. theres another recent post about stuff like this & one guy got some special paper to make waterslide decals with his printer. don't think gold is a choice that way though

6. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    Gold paint pen (one coat) over satin black rattle can

gee. and bparnell57 like this.
  7. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

That works! : )

8. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Looks awesome! Do you remember what gold pen that was?

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If it were me, I'd script a bunch of metallic gold paint pen versions on decal paper, then transfer my best rendering to the headstock. The tricky thing is the black paint background (besides not breaking the blank decal surface). If you don't care about those pesky decal lines and can't be bothered with making a silkscreen, then you might be a little more satisfied with the final cut..

Axis29 and gee. like this.
  10. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

That's a good idea. Maybe I could get some decal paper at a hobby store and doodle on that first and stick it. Probably wouldn't have to take out the tuners to get it on there as well.

11. Chordophonic

Pen is a Metalic Marker by United Office, I might have borrowed the Gold one from the Pink one, she cannot remember where she got it, but probably Amazon (UK)

This is the red one, gold is long gone....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Regular printers don't do gold or metallic. Not well anyway. Pen on decal paper sounds like the first thing to try.

13. Chordophonic

If it were me, I'd practice the script, write it on the headstock and VERY fine mist, a few clear coats to seal it......thats what I did on the Strat head, except for the clear coat......

gee. likes this.
  14. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Yeah. I think I'm going to use decal paper and pick the best one. I've practiced the script several times but it would be hard to get it right between the tuning pegs.

15. Chordophonic

Remove the pegs, is the easy answer, decal paper will look pretty amateur without being buried in lacquer in my opinion, no offence intended....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.