1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gold Lace Sensors

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zimbo, Dec 13, 2020.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I've got an 89 Clapton start with the gold lace sensors and it's my number 1 guitar. The pickups sound fantastic. I had a 92 strat plus with gold lace sensors but I eventually sold it because the pickups sounded thin. They actually sounded thin from the beginning but I kept the guitar because it played good. Last week I saw a local deal for a 95 Clapton strat with gold lace sensors. The guitar was perfect but had never really been played. However the pickups sounded really thin compared to all my other strats.

I may try to flip it but not sure yet. It's great eye candy. And yeah I raised the pickups up. In fact they were up when I got it so I suspect that may have been why the guy sold it. It seems like the later gold lace sensors are not as good as the early ones. Any opinions?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

If you’re after reducing the 60 cycle hum I’ve got the blue, silver and red lace sensors in my 2008 Strat. Best sounding of the four Stratocasters I currently own.

3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I find them to be pretty fat on my '94...every ear is different

That Cal Webway and alnicopu like this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep, I have the blue silver red on my 93. I live on that middle silver pickup. It’s perfect.

Chuckster and RobRiggs like this.
  5. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have triple Golds on my '89 Deluxe... by far, the best playing and sounding guitar in my collection.
    20201208_172319.jpg

6. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I've got golds in my '87 MIK Strat; rewired it a few years ago with 500k pots (master volume/master tone) and reversed the bridge and middle wiring so that I get bridge and neck together instead of neck and middle. Sounds great. Yes, crank those pups up as high as they'll go without touching the strings. They're older ones, so maybe the relatively newer ones don't have the same chime, or maybe they have favorably drifted a bit over time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    King-of-Tone likes this.
  7. rockdawg55

rockdawg55 TDPRI Member

I have one of the first Strat Plus off the line in '87. The Golds in it are spectacular. Best sounding Strat I've ever played.

Chuckster and Cali Dude like this.
  8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I've got the golds in my USA Buddy Guy strat. It has the same midboost circuit as your Clapton model. Mine is a '95, and has been my favorite electric guitar for years. It is much louder than a standard Strat. It is nice and clear without the boost on, and really ballsy with the midboost engaged.

schmee and Chuckster like this.
  9. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

The original Gold Lace Sensors sound killer in my 95 Clapton Strat. Not thin at all.

Cali Dude and Milspec like this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've found that it's best to use different sets (colors) for different positions.

11. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

I can’t speak to the later years but the golds in my 89 plus sound amazing. I have them pretty high up. The only thing I didn’t love about the stock guitar was the plus neck but I put a roadworn 50’s neck on and now I love it. Old strat pluses are hidden gems IMO.

Attached Files:

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

That's weird. My 98 EC Strat had them and they are fine. I had an old Strat Plus also a couple years ago and they were not thin either. Those older Laces looked different on the back than the newer ones though.

SRHmusic likes this.
  13. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

No experience with any newer Gold sensor's,. but my '93 US strat sounds good with it's stock G|B|R lace setup.

14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I had that setup from an 84 strat plus and wish I had not sold them. Loved em.

15. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a '91 or '92 Strat Plus Ultra with the red, blue, silver and it's great. (I tried a recently made set in another guitar and didn't like them at all. That new pickguard did not have the TBX tone control, though. Not sure if that would have helped or not. There's discussion on other forums about how the new ones aren't like those old ones, but the company disagrees. The new ones don't appear to be built the same way.)

16. King-of-Tone

King-of-Tone TDPRI Member

Agree w/ Willie Johnson, make sure during setup someone didn't lower them similar to how you'd setup traditional single coil pickups. That could make them sound thin, raise them up close to the strings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.