Gold Foil Jazzmaster with Bigsby

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by etype, Jun 2, 2020.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I first posted about this project like 8 months ago. I was envisioning a dark brown stain. But after 6 pints of stain, dye, dye-stain, etc, I went with plain old shellac. Came out so nice I did the neck in shellac too (was going to top coat with Arm-R-Seal, but felt too great as is).

Body Warmoth (3lbs 6 oz), neck Musikraft (med C, 25.5 scale, 9.5 radius, vintage frets).
    Pickup a wide range dual foil by Mojo UK. Pickguard is whatever WD Music calls Bakelite. Tuners are Gotoh SD91 (locking). Mastery bridge. 5-way switch for serial, north coil, parallel, south coil, out of phase.

Weighs in at 7lbs 4 oz.

My first Bigsby and I am loving it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB, Piotr, crazydave911 and 10 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Looks great!

etype and crazydave911 like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Awesome, how does the dual GF sound? Always curious about them. Also, why did you go with a Bigsby instead of the offset trem? Just curious...

Piotr and crazydave911 like this.
  4. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Nice!

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I think you misplaced your pickup? :eek: I'm more of a Junior style player.

I built a fabric topped JM (single bridge humbucker) last fall including shellac -- which is the source for French Polish.

Only down side I can see with shellac is it dissolves with alcohol -- so bar gigs around whiskey and bourbon could be problematic.

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Why a Bigsby? After the apocalypse it and the roaches will still work lol

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I tried a couple Bigsby and offset trem guitars at GC and preferred the Bigsby feel. It wasn't a long session, just a few minutes with each. But the body was routed for a JM trem, so I can always switch later.

8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I was looking for a really articulate pickup to go with some fingerstyle playing. Marc suggested the N-foil over the Teisco I had been considering. But then he said that he could make a Wide Range Dual Foil out of two N-foil neck pickups, I was in for that.

I would have to slot it in closer to a Filtertron sound more than anything else. Which is good, as I had also been considering one of TV Jones offerings.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I did make a pad to apply the shellac, but I wouldn't call what I did French Polish for fear of offending masters of that technique. I did find that once I got about 30 coats (1/2# cut) applied (each one takes 5 seconds, but you can do 20 coats in a day), there were some pad marks. So I followed a suggestion online and used more mineral oil with each coat. This allowed working the shellac more, softening the marks. Worked especially well on the back of the neck where coats could be applied very evenly.

So far, my biggest gigs are in my living room with 10-15 friends in the audience. While there is plenty of alcohol around, it is not a sloppy crowd by any stretch. Plus, I was going for a 1970s vintage vibe, so a little natural relicing will be ok with me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.