Going to the smorgasbord

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

so I recently found out about this smorgasbord up in P.A that is supposed to be ridiculously awesome

Any of you guys ever been to an awesome smorgasbord

Nubs, Chunkocaster and getbent like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Chinese smorgi?

3. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Yup. Miller's Smorgasbord and Shady Maple Smorgasbord are my 2 favs. They're both in Lancaster County PA, and are super PA Dutch food. They're both a short drive from Casa Dmitri.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nubs and Fretting out like this.
  4. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Any chance it's the Shady Maple in Lancaster county? It's the one I usually hear about, it's supposed to be the largest on in PA or something like that. A lot of senior citizens seem to love it and go on long drives to eat there.

We did the Scandinavia tour when I was a kid and I remember there seemed to be Smorgasbords everywhere. I'm not big on those types of places so have never been to a Smorgasboard as an adult.

Which ever one you go to, enjoy but watch out for the busses!

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love a good smorgasbord. In my early 20's when single I used to visit a local all you can eat place and try to top the previous week for number of dishes consumed. I would skip lunch and have a smoke before arriving. They kept dinner plates next to the apple crumble and soft serve machine. That might have been their downfall because they went bankrupt within a couple years.

I visited one in Glasgow a few years ago and they had a chocolate fountain, it was fun chocolate coating a wide variety of desert items that usually would not be chocolate coated.
    Chocolate coated cheesecake was fantastic. They had Chinese, Indian, Western foods. You could have a rogan josh curry with honey king prawns and chicken satays on the side.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    dented, nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  6. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I worked at a very popular one for a few months when in high school. I'm gonna pass thank you.

7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

About forty years ago there was a restaurant close to where I was living at the time that had a seafood smorgasbord once a month that my wife and I never missed. It had an incredible variety of seafood including Lobster Newburg, Shrimp Scampi, clam chowder, lox, poached salmon, grilled grouper or snapper, stuffed flounder, pickled herring, crab legs, Oysters Rockefeller, calamari, sauteed octopus, fried clams, steamed mussels, as well as fresh baked breads and desserts. It was expensive and awesome, but only lasted for about a year before the restaurant stopped doing it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I remember when this idea first hit the US back in the 70s. There was one in Omaha that my Dad took all us boys to every time we visited him and it was magical. Can't stand those type of places now.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think we have any retail smorgasbords around here...there used to be regular ones at the churches for benefits...but that's about it that I recall.

10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

The smorgasbord,,,which was later shortened to the acronym "BUFFET"

Big Ugly Fat Folks Eating Together

I'm sorry,,, was that wrong? :)

cat dude, Vibrolux59 and hotpot like this.
  11. Fretting out

It actually is shady maple I just recently discovered this place it’s not too bad for my first smorgasbord

Bassman8 and Nubs like this.
  12. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Yea, it's got a great variety, that's for sure. I enjoy the carvery, but the fried chicken is good and the Dutchy food.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nubs likes this.
  13. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I think Jimmy Buffet likes smorgasbords.

Bill Sheehan and Fretting out like this.
  14. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Of course he's talking about the Shady Maple. I was just thinking about it the other day & how I miss it. Fantastic place to eat and there's no way you're leaving there hungry. Everything there is so fresh and good, and there is everything of everything there.

Place is HUUUUUUUUGE too! Oh yeah, make sure to get some scrapple while you're there too! Great stuff!!

Fretting out likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I was going to ask...is a smorgasbord the same as a buffet? Or, in what way are they different? We used to have a Ryan's here. It was a steakhouse with a huge buffet. It was okay occasionally, like once or twice a year. Usually a lot of quite large folks would be eating there. They went out of business.

16. Fretting out

It turns out it’s brisket night and it’s actually of a decent quality

I heard this place is famous I just wasn’t sure how many people around the country have smorgasbords, apparently people actually travel here to vacation, a lot of people from New York and jersey kind of blows my mind I guess I’m just used too it being right down the road but I Don’t find anything magical or mystical about Amish country

17. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

They were pretty popular in the '60s. I worked at one in '67 that had been around in a city of 45K for a few years then. There were 2 others (one a block away that thrived into the '80s) in town as well.

18. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Shady Maple is about an hour or so from me. I ate lunch there once when I was working in that area. Never tried the smorgasbord. They offer you a free meal on your birthday if another person who is with you buys a meal.

Fretting out likes this.
  19. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Not entirely...(and yes, I took the photo at our Golden Corral, which I like to visit now and then myself).
    IMG_20191108_133920447~4.jpg

cat dude, joe_cpwe and Fretting out like this.
  20. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

It is a buffet, but with traditional Scandinavian dishes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sm%C3%B6rg%C3%A5sbord

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.