1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Going to the hospital tomorrow. Kinda scared

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RodeoTex, Apr 22, 2021.

1. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Good luck to you.

2. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The reward for acting faithfully on everything that is recommended by the docs is that you get to feel better and hopefully like a new man. We're all pulling for ya!

bigbean and Greggorios like this.
  3. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Like others have said, you've got this. Don't get down on yourself, you're finally doing something about it. Even the most healthy people among us have room to do better. You just have a little more room to do better.

I can't wait to hear all about it afterwards. Peace and strength to you.

drewg, Greggorios and studio like this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Get well soon, Tex! Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery of hand function!

drewg likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just saw this now but want to say hang in there. It’ll likely turn out to be something that’s not as bad as you imagine. Listen carefully to the doctors, ask questions and take a few notes.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope it went well.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Good luck, you've taken the hardest step.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Let me tell you something. I am GLAD you are scared. Tomorrow, you may hear news that is even more scary. Folks have mentioned other heart issues, but the first thing they will want to do is a stress test,(they will use chemicals for you since you have the issue you have). I am hoping for a stent or two that would cure most of your aliments. You probably have sever blockage. Here is the good news, most anything you have they can cure/extend your life. If it is stints, you will feel better immediately. If it is other issues, they can still do wonders. You need to be made scared ****less so you stop smoking & drinking. I am hoping tomorrow you are scared ****less. It is so much easier to stop those bad habits when your are. Its easy, it will become a life & death decision BTW I had a Stint put in over a year ago. Awake & through my arm. Naked, on my back, shaved with folks dressed in white talking medical talk. But they will kindly explain what's going down, when it is going down.

bcorig, IMadeYouReadThis and RodeoTex like this.
  9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I quit smoking decades ago, and didn't drink much at all. But I did drink too many cokes (soda, pop, whatever) and ate way too much. And the only exercise I ever got was schlepping gear into and out of a gig. I would get winded hauling gear out to the truck. I could only walk to the end of my block and back. I basically ignored my family history of diabetes and heart disease.

I didn't get better until I was 60, in August of 2014, when I went to the hospital. But it wasn't a preventative step; I went because I was having a heart attack. They also determined from bloodwork that I had uncontrolled diabetes. The next day they did some kind of test to check the level of blockage to my arteries. The day after that, they did a quadruple bypass on me.

It was a rude awakening, but it was a wake up call, which was in the long run a good thing. I heeded the call. I determined I would eat to live, not live to eat. I made changes in my diet. I gave up cokes then and there, and all processed sugars. It took a bit of trial and error to find what foods I could eat, what things I had to severely curtail my intake of, what things I had to just give up entirely. And I slowly worked my way up from walking less than a block.

Now, going on 7 years later, I am 35 lbs. lighter, but more importantly, I'm healthier. With my doctors' guidance and the help of my good wife, I have been able by diet and exercise to get off all the meds they put me on. I eat less, eat better, walk on average 3-4 miles a day.

The smoking thing will be a hard thing to quit, the drinking and bad eating habits too, but it can be done. You're going into this with a positive determination. You're not waiting until a heart attack changes your life for you. That's good. Make up your mind that being able to breathe easier, to play guitar and golf again is more important to you than the smokes and the booze.

The prayers and best wishes from all of us on TDPRI are with you on this. We want you around here for many years to come.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

When the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing, we will change.

Good news!
    You're ready!

Many have gotten well from way worse, take heart and have at it.
    In a year you can make annoying comments to friends about how they should take better care of themselves!

boneyguy, Deathray, bcorig and 8 others like this.
  11. telesun

telesun TDPRI Member

On the plus side, you haven’t had a heart attach or stroke so maybe no permanent damage or maybe nothing so wrong that can’t be fixed with some lifestyle changes and nothing like feeling your mortality to help make that happen is what I have found.

I had open heart surgery once when I was 13 and again when I was 45 and I’m now 62. Medical people are awesome in what they can do, especially as compared to 1972.

I did all the bad things too..until I just felt so weak and feeble I knew I needed to change and I at least stopped drinking and smoked less..then eventually stopped completely. I Use Nicolette lozenges every now and then. My biggest trouble is eating at night and I could lose a few pounds but I’m feeling basically ok and don’t want to go back.

I hope you can turn things around for yourself .. if you live to play your guitar like I do, that is an amazing boon to your health and I hope you’re able to play again soon.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Greggorios and StevesBoogie like this.
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

what ever you do.... don't let 'em shave your patch

13. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

RodeoTex... I'm very sorry to hear this... especially about your in-ability to play your music.

VERY good for you to get to the docs and get with their programs.

My best wishes and hopes for the medical establishment to give you some very good treatments to help you get along a lot better/happier in this life.

And as others have mentioned, please do quit smoking. That's the best thing you can do, for YOURSELF, right off the bat!

Greggorios, 6String69 and studio like this.
  14. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

All the best, scary times indeed.

15. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Stay strong!

16. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Jesus is on the mainline. Tell him what you want. Call him up and tell him what you want.

Chester P Squier and VonBonfire like this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Best wishes to you.

18. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Good luck @RodeoTex! You are doing the right thing by heading to the hospital today, so congrats on a very important first step.

Please entrust your faith in the professionals - they have committed their lives to helping people in your situation. And help is what you will receive today.

If you follow their instructions, and have a kinder approach to your body going forward, you are going to be much happier.

Would love to hear a follow-up!

Greggorios likes this.
  19. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Good luck with the results.

You're doing the correct thing. Difficult to fix stuff until you know what the problems are.

Like lots of others, I'm on pills for life, don't want them but hey ... Lifestyle changes may seem hard, but when you know what's required, hopefully you can adjust in a few months.

As for guitar don't know what your issues are but, I've had 5 trigger finger releases including all my fretting fingers. Don't have any fluid chord changes these days. Bought a bass on the basis that even a slow 1-5 Johnny Cash line is better than nothing. Bought a Uke a few weeks back, 4 strings, minimal hand movements, makes me smile if nothing else. You'll find something to play if you want to.

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. Bongoslade

Bongoslade TDPRI Member

I hate all doctors. I hate change. I hate not smoking.
    I love the taste of good beer, wine and spirits.
    I love to party till 5 in the morning after the show, sleep all day, wake up and then have my fill of Tastycakes till I go and get a cheese Burger, chain smoking while awake, I think I smoked and drank in my sleep. 30 pounds overweight
    man i loved it AAAAALLLLL......
    had to stop it ALL.
    no smoking no drinking
    I changed my eating habits and everything - I'm here to tell ya - I'm STILL here.
    I'm alive and kickin' ass (in my dreams) but I'm here to hug my wife and kid and I bought a new Tele - play guitar more than my Bass (they are much shorter and lighter plus those cute little girly man strings)
    the story DOES NOT END THERE - stay strong brother RodeoTex
    there's a lot of livin' for you to do bro.

and lots of complaining to do so get up and get down with it dude...!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.