1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Going to the hospital tomorrow. Kinda scared

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RodeoTex, Apr 22, 2021.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm 60. I smoke too much, I drink too much. I only eat right sometimes. Been that way for years.
    When ailments have arisen I've either just powered thru or found a work-around.
    That's not going to work anymore.

I've got permanent puffy pads on the back of each hand. I can't make a fist. I can't play guitar or golf anymore.

My ankles and knees are permanently swollen.

I can't climb a small stairway without being out of breath and having to rest.

I'm going to the hospital tomorrow morning to see what they can tell me.
    Like I said, I'm a little scared.

2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Sending good vibes.

Sounds like you already know what to work on...

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You may need a stent. You may need more than that.

But what you'll also need is a permanent change of lifestyle, since you know what you're doing wrong.

You haven't had a heart attack yet.

You can get through this.

Mojo!

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

rootin' hard for you man. listen to the doc, do what they say. we need you around!

pressure, DrPepper, skunqesh and 10 others like this.
  5. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

Don't be scared.
    You've already taken the hardest step.

It's never too late to change. We can't change the past, but we can make the future a little better for ourselves and those we love and who love us.

I hope all goes well and send you my very best wishes.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Good luck. No medical training so take this as coming from an idiot. I can’t tell you what is afflicting you. But I can assure you everyone at that hospital on your care team wants to do their best to help you get better. Just let them do their best and follow their directions and you got this. Be well.

7. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

they say faith will move mountains but you better bring your shovel. I'm 67 and in your shoes I have two stents, a pacemaker I quit smoking in November fighting to change my diet I'm walking more I know where you're coming from I have the same afflictions movement is your friend. Don't give up on yourself stay strong even if it's raining out. I wish you well

8. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

You already took the biggest step, the decision to seek medical attention. I hate doctors, hospitals, and all that goes with it. So I can relate. Have faith that better things can come from this, and trust the doctors. We’re pulling for ya. Keep us updated, ok?

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Good thing you are getting checked.
    Be sure to let us know what you find out.

10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Be strong. Lotta hard work in front of you. Nothing to it but to do it.

drewg and Deathray like this.
  11. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

You are too young not to turn the ship around.

It will be a hell of an effort.

I think since you listed some aspects of your body's inflammation you inherently know what to change.

Get some support. You don't have to be a perfect saint but make these changes.

By next winter you could be strong and playing guitar with a smile.

12. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Hope ya come out a new man!

I know a couple guys that had issues and a quick fix put them back on their feet!

Here's prayin' for ya!

RodeoTex likes this.
  13. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Keeping you in my prayers this evening brother. Glad you are getting checked out. Time to start treating yourself right. Look at it like you've been beating yourself up and now it's your turn to cater to what your body and soul really need. I hope you can get squared away and feeling better.

pressure, Fuelish and RodeoTex like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have any advice to offer, only my condolences that you find yourself at this particular junction on the road of life. My wife's oldest brother when he was around your age had a quadruple bypass, I don't know if they even do them anymore. He's just turned 80, and can sit down on the floor and get up without using anything but his legs. I think they must have put a small block v8 in that old man while he was in the hospital, 'cause he goes like a house afire all of the time. He bought his wife a new Explorer a little while back, and recently bought himself a new Ford pickup with some kind of whizzy dual turbo charged v-6 in it, that will pull the black off black top when you step down on it going fifty miles an hour. If that wasn't enough he purchased one of those wreckers where you pull the car up on the back of it to travel, 'cause he knows everyone in Kern County, and someone is always needin' a wrecker, and can make a little money on the side.

What I'm saying is, even at 60, you ain't done for. It's up to you, and the docs how to pull you back into shape. You can LIVE without the smokes and the booze, I know, I've been off the smokes since 88, and the booze since 97. I'm soon to be 78, and if I'm gonna keel over I'm gonna have to get to feeling a lot worse than I do right now! I can tell you this, I feel better right now than I did nearly 24 years ago when I was still drinking.

One more thing if you're a long time smoker, make them aware of that fact, cause they'll probably want to do an ultrasound on your aorta. I had it done, and I was okay, but it might save your life to have them take a look at it.

15. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Good luck, my friend. My only two suggestions would be a yoga mat (plus a tv or online class) and nicotine chewing gum, for the hospital (plus lots of water). In Canada the best deal on the gum is Life brand - half the price of Nicorettes, but Shoppers Drug only.

RodeoTex and VonBonfire like this.
  16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

My best to you. Be brave and you will make it through. We are all with you in spirit.

RodeoTex likes this.
  17. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I work for General internal Medicine docs and they are the best! Believe what they say! They really are going to help you... now that you’ve made the decision to help yourself just listen and do... not hard right?

RodeoTex likes this.
  18. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

This could be a new beginning. Here’s to the next 30 years of better health (and a return to your guitar playing and golf game). We’re all pulling for you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  19. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Please quit smoking!

RodeoTex, DrPepper, soul-o and 10 others like this.
  20. EZMFE

EZMFE TDPRI Member

All the best RodeoTex. We all got our vices but give some thought to cleaning things up a bit. Not preaching--just a suggestion. Hope all goes well.

studio, RodeoTex and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.