1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Going to the Dark Side with Synthesizer Obsession

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Skully, Jan 17, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

dont be too sure about signal manipulation through a synth filter , eg Who are you? by the who and we wont get fooled again that is townsend processing his Les paul through the Arp 2600 and not just a sequence , ,I have a roland GR55 that i can midi out to control my VI's and my new gear , I also have a yamaha WX7 midi clarenette so every thing can be controlled through different controllers as well as the external inputs to the synths , using the VI's in unison with the hardware allows me to spread a 5.1 surround of pads, and leads and sequences and it sounds full, really full .

2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I believe "Won't Get Fooled Again" is actually a Lowrey organ through a EMS VCS 3 mk1 synth. I'm sure one can get good results. I'm just not confident that I will get good results.

24 track likes this.
  3. theaterguy

theaterguy TDPRI Member

About DX7...I was shopping back then my first real keyboard and for the money the DX7 was hands down winner. Other options was just handful of waveshapes and filter sweep, no touch sensivity and huge amount of money. DX7 gave at modest price touch sensivity for amplitude and timbre. It was capable produce such a detailed transient attack that no analog was even close.
    It was real a musicians keyboard. Of course it was tricky to program at first but hey, to develop skills always takes time.

Skully likes this.
  4. 24 track

Mark is correct when I had my moog D inthe early 70's I got really good at dialing any sound i needed by heart , when i sold it 6 years later the guy came in with a 2600 and asked to replicate the sounds he got , I came really close very fast so much so he did not haggle my high asling price.

5. 24 track

he used an arp 2600 he talks about it this vid

Skully likes this.
  6. Skully

I was gonna say Lowrey through an Arp, then I looked it up. I mean, like I'd really remember an EMS VCS 3 mk1.

I think that's a key distinction. It depends on one's perspective. If you're approaching things as a real musician who wants to be able to play it like a full-fledged piano or organ, a DX7 is going to be able to do the heavy lifting that a Moog can't. However, touch sensitivity, which I have on other keyboards, depending on the patch used, isn't necessarily a great thing for me because instead of allowing me to do more, it's more likely to reveal my limitations as a keyboardist. I'm a primitive, as my handle Skully indicates. And you're Theaterguy.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    24 track likes this.
  7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think one of the things that homogenized devoe pre midi and early midi is when they went to work with rolandc developing sequenced music and all the other aspects into a system the way Kraftwerk did.
    Kraft werk became the messenger of a dark vision of how we were all becoming the man machine people being regimented as parts of the automated system , people not working machine but becoming parts of a dry automated system , The model isn't a person anymore but she becomes willingly a part of the advertizing industry and has fetishsized her self image, she not only whats to be exploited for her image but she gets off on having it happen. She defines herself and self worth based on her image. Popstars falling in love with the image that is projected of who they are. The Thin White Duke =? Some thing to love being

Skully, akuster777 and 24 track like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Novation Peak. I think it can probably make a great facsimile of just about any analog synth sound you can think of. The limits are on the user, definitely not the tool. You can put detuning and drift into the oscillators, etc.

Skully and 24 track like this.
  9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

For me decent distortion was Yamaha PS-20 set to harpsichord into the 2600's pre-amp cranked all the way up. Nastiest sound ever.

I'm not really into arpeggiators and such, but one effect I did like was using the 2600's sample and hold to feed a CV into the pitch of an oscillator then lower the rate an amount until the pitch was steady.

10. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Nice!

24 track likes this.
  11. 24 track

i was playing with this last night , mostly to see if the Korg Kaosollator Pro would trigger off of sequencer , I used the Retro Kits RK-002 cable and hooked it up to the Keystep keyboard , between the sequencing , arpagiation and straight playing , I had a blast , the sounds on the Korg unit are exceptional , synths, drums, and patterns, acoustic instruments , it has an external aux input for guitars, vocals to filter and treat a ton of filter and effects , plus it has 4 count them 4 levels of multi layer looping that you can record over with out losing the initial track and bounce capabilities, plus ithe events can be stored on to an SD chip...... Caveat..... triggering it from an external keyboard cannot be done except with the use of the retro Kits RK002 cable ( a programable midi cable with a smart chip inside that has an instruction set for the korg unit ( as well as others)

the Korg KP3 is a set of synth filters and effects as where thr Kaosillator is a synth , you can sync and patch the Kaosollator into the KP3 and even bounce loops from one to the other, too cool!:D:D:D:D:D

P1012225.JPG
    keystep-image.png

d3wTCnb1TAeCX2SZ_OZ4qpf0htPzc1qZcf2r1rH4LkQ.jpg

Skully and medownsouth like this.
  12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Behringer is a bit of a pain right now because the moment you settle and throw down on one of their synths they pop up with another! But that's okay, really. I studied on the Aro 2600 and EML Electrocomp 100, the EMS Synthi A, etc. before moving on to the Synclavier. I always wanted a Model D but could never get around to it, what with guitar being my main instrument. But when Behringer came out with the Poly D it was pretty much game over for me. I snappy up one immediately. I might have to snap up their 2600 as well.

The biggest limitations of analog synths were lack of a tall, quick attack without the thump and lack of polyphony. The DX7 came in and offered both, but for the next eight years every sound seemed to have that breaking-glass chime to it. The industry ran that obsession into the ground, along with crashy trashy eight-bit drum sounds. MIDI lock was cool but the next thing you knew they had to bring in electric guitarists again to humanize the robotics. It got to the point where recording engineers like me were BEGGING for real drums and real instruments by the time the era of the clank was over.

I think what the analog synths offer that the digital synth don't is a live control environment. It's like the difference between analog recording consoles without automation and DAWs. There is precision in the DAW world that you simply can't hope to have on the analog consoles but there is immediacy of control and an organic interface on the analog consoles that you can't get on a DAW.

But in the recording world I miss my knobs. I miss my knobs.

[​IMG]

My review of the Poly D is HERE.

Bob

tery, Skully and 24 track like this.
  13. 24 track

Nice,
    i nave the beh 2600 on order and will be here the beginning of february , I always wanted one
    I cut my teeth on the original moog Model D, putney VCS3, Roland SH1000, korg MS 10, 20, sq10 , and the bigger PS3100 but for me the fact that none of it could be proerly sync'd reall fried me , but the new stuff all on the same format as eurorack opens up some twisted dimentional doorway for me , with USB and Midi I see some magical potential happening here ( at least in theory )

Larry F was a university instructor and was using a buchla system man I i wish i was there now that would have been fun

Skully likes this.
  14. 24 track

BTW Tonto is in calgary alta just an hours flight from where i live LOL

Skully likes this.
  15. Skully

Yes. And, given the plethora of choices and potential tweaks I already had with my VSTs, this limited user benefited from the addition of a limited instrument that he could use in concert with the rest of his seemingly infinite tool set. As I mentioned before, I just updated from the Arturia Analog Lab, which as about 7K presets, to the Arturia V Collection, which has 10K-plus presets and the ability to fully tweak all the parameters of every synth model. The latter also uses the Analog Lab, which has a great search function. It also allows me to look at the preset settings on the Minimoog and recreate them on my Poly D, which helps me learn to tweak the latter. Last year, I also got the sample-based UVI Synthstation II collection, which does not have an equally great UI.

I already found and read your Poly D review through my own googling. It's nice to know you're on the TDPRI, too! Reading your review inspired me to google guitar synth triggers, but they proved too pricey for me to rationalize a purchase.

The lack of knobs doesn't bother me in the DAW mixing environment, but with the keys, I appreciate the knobs. My Arturia keyboard does a good job of syncing with the VSTs' virtual knobs, but it's not the same as having the knobs connected to a real piece of hardware.

I avoid MIDI syncing hardware as much as possible, because it's bound to slow me down and frustrate me. I've been able to get my DAW to trigger the Poly D, but I haven't been able to sync my DAW to the Poly D so the DAW follows the Poly's arp programming. So I just just get as close as I can with the timing of the arpeggiator on the Poly D and do adjustments in the DAW, if needed.

24 track likes this.
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Seen it happen.
    Bye bye...

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Talking about Korg, how's this for a memory?

[​IMG]

It's a '70s Korg Mini-Korg 700. It was originally a single-oscillator lead synth but the previous owner added a second oscillator and noise source that can be blended in. The second osc can also be detuned. The knob on top controls the blend. I leave it around the studio where I work so I can quickly create sounds as they are needed.

Bob

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day, I wanted a DX7 really bad. But, I became a guitarist.

More than 30 years after, I ended up with a Roland Juno Alpha given to me. It's nice, but I don't use it really. I use vst stuff nowadays. I might end up selling it as it's just piling dust on it.

(On the top)
    [​IMG]

19. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I died and went to heaven with that setup like that.! I see the mt spots for the comps u ordered. I too have kept an eye on that 2600.
    Also, I bought my SY77 mid 2000. Under $300 as I recall. Cept for the disk drive, no problems. Sounds so sweet. I did have to replace the CMOS batt. What a PITA! Been thinking bout stripping the keybed and cleaning it up a bit. I do things like that. But it don't need it at all. Thing is that I hammer the hell out of the keys at times. That beast takes a beating. Weights a ton tho!

24 track likes this.
  20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I hear ya there. So much menu diving for a patch edit. Time consuming. I like hands on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.