Going to Nashville, what MUST I see?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I will arrive in Huntsville tomorrow and hit Muscle Shoals for a tour. I have time after that to see that area and on Friday I will head to Nashville with my 12 year old daughter. So I plan to hit Gruhn guitars for a bit. What else should I see or do. I will be with a 12 year old so no ragin' bars. I think some places have music all day long? What's that one place with the big picture window behind the stage (I think Marty Stuart's bass player plays there)? Can a kid get in during the day?

thanks...I'll report back especially if I buy anything.

2. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

upload_2019-8-23_12-30-46.jpeg

My wife and I like going to Legends Corner. We are there early (before noon) on Sunday sometimes. It is youngster friendly and it would take you an hour just to see all the album covers, photos and musical instruments hanging on the walls. Be sure and go all the way in the back near the Bathrooms.

We love Buck McCoy's shows and Lefty Ferguson and the Right Hand Band. Nashville is supposed to be one of the top destinations for the ladies to go for Bachelorette parties. Just google Lefty Ferguson or Legends for some videos of the bands on Stage at Legends.

It would be interesting to see how many artists your daughter could name in the picture above. I'll give her the Taylor Swift for one point as a start.

Lost_N_Austin

3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Holic Vendor Member

43E00852-799C-418D-8824-8F337188643D.jpeg This is cool to visit.
    The one in Nashville is in better condition than the one in Greece.

d barham likes this.
  4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Broadway is a good start. ^^the Parthenon is neat and huge. There’s a neat little log cabin pioneer thing on the waterfront at the end of broadway. There is a parking garage right off of broadway on second street a few blocks up, I like to park there. There are a few local music stores you can go to, one is around Nolansville one is corner music. Get you GPS to take backroads it’s way faster to get around. I set mine to walking instead of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I always enjoy Hatch Show Print... I'm not sure I'd pay for a tour, but I usually buy a letterpress poster while I'm there.

PastorJay and Telecaster88 like this.
  6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I highly recommend a search of threads on what to do and where to stay in Nashville. There has been a number of them in recent years and they are full of good info.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  7. Faceman

Faceman TDPRI Member

If you like "traditional" country music, i.e. Merle Haggard, George Jones etc.. Go see the Music City Playboys at Music City Bar and Grill. Randy Mason plays drums (Brent's brother and Hagg's drummer in the 80's) , Rust Danmyer on steel (Leann Rimes), Joey ? on keyboards (Alan Jackson), Eddie Lang on bass and sometimes steel and William Bagby guitar (Joe Diffe) they alternate between a few different singers. They play Monday-Wednesday nights. Fantastic music!

Gruhn's was kind of a bust last time I was there. I hear Carters is the place.

8. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I think I would really like the Hatch Show Print - Poster place and will check it out next time I'm there. The Music City Bar and Grill is another interesting place but Note: It is for 21 and up. Can't take your young kids there.

Lost_N_Austin

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Roberts Western is my favorite. I’ve seen a band while having breakfast there.

There’s that Riverboat. I guess.

10. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Don't know how a 12 year old would handle it, but the Country Music Museum is wonderful. I ended up unexpectedly spending an entire day there when I went.

PastorJay likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

A couple of guitar stores that I enjoy (that really are under the radar for Nashville snobs) are Fanny's House of Music and Nashville Used Music.

Fanny's is located in a hipster section of downtown East Nashville (5 Points area). There's an amazing taco truck about a block from there in the parking lot of a convenience store. There's book stores, bead shops and art galleries and various and sundry that my wife enjoyed.

Franklin is always fun to hang out in, get some ice cream.
    Last time we were in Nashville we also spent an afternoon kicking around the antique shops and art galleries in Leiper's Fork. We couldn't get into Puckett's but found another place that was great a few doors down. They had a great band playing in the back porch of one of the antique stores too.

I've been to Nashville enough to steer clear of Broadway. It's too much like a Greek Court from college. People feel obligated to get drunk and act like dorks when they go there. No thanks.

The new baseball stadium is amazing so if you have time and they are in town, definitely try to take the kids to a Nashville Sounds game. Have some BBQ across the street afterwards.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Just went there this summer!

First of all, I would suggest the double deck bus tour because it will show the whole city in a matter of a few hours. Then, take note of the places you want to go back to.

I enjoyed our visit to the Parthenon Replica. It's closed on Monday though.
    I also enjoyed my visit to the Carter Vintage Guitars Shop.
    Then, the family had a blast at the Wax Museum.

We really enjoyed Nashville! We're considering moving there!

13. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

+500bc

14. philpm

philpm TDPRI Member

I second the Parthenon and Country Music Hall of Fame. Would also suggest going over to the Ryman, and then a visit to the Ernest Tubb Record Store.

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the recommendations. Somehow this got no attention before I left so I'm checking it now whick winding down for the evening. We got a late start after Space Camp let out + 2 hour drive. So we did stop in Gruhns long enough for me to permanenly screw up my credit. LOL. Just kidding but the '34 000 Martin was amazing!

We took a stroll up and down Broadway and checked out all the music, had some dinner listening to one of the cover bands in a place that would let us in and called it a night. Broadway is sort of like Bourbon Street with bachelorette parties and cowboy boots. Wow.

Stopped in Muscle Shoals Music yesterday and got the private tour (I was the only one at 12:30) it was awesome!

16. Chief101

Chief101 TDPRI Member

Music Row
    The Ryman
    Opry Mills/Opry House/Opryland Hotel
    Bluebird Cafe (may be age restricted). It’s an important, yet outwardly unimpressive, place in the music business - worth a drive by
    Belmont University (music school of the stars and the industry)
    Tootsie’s
    Gibson Factory
    Novo Guitars showroom & factory (Dennis Fano’s new company) https://guitar.com/features/interviews/dennis-fano-novo-rivolta-guitars/

Italian - Maggiano’s
    Southern - Puckett’s (the one in Franklin is the original, also one in downtown Nashville), Loveless Cafe
    Eclectic- Urban Grub
    Posh - Bricktop

Hope I sent in time for you to use.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  17. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Musicians Hall of Fame and Carter Vintage Guitars are both good. Both are close to the lower
    Broad tourist area and Carter is close to Gruhn but use GPS if available. RCA Studio B is cool
    for the history aspect. If you do the Country Music Hall of Fame they offer a package deal
    on both plus they shuttle folks to the Studio B which is desirable as parking is sketchy on
    Music Row.

18. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

...and nobody mentioned the Pharmacy for great burgers?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.