Going to Italy!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Lived in Northern Italy for 2 years in a small village about 20 miles west from Venice.

First the cautions; As previously stated, don't wear shorts out in public unless may be at the beach. If there are any ladies traveling in your group the no shorts in public is even more important. They will be construed as women of ill repute and will attract very UNWANTED attention where requests for services by men will be made in exchange for Euros or drugs therefore the attention of the local polizia or Carabinieri will also follow.

Don't yell or shout. Doing these things are not only in bad form in Italy but lets others know you are a tourist and an easy mark for criminals, pan handlers and this time of year very aggressive gypsies better to fly under the radar when possible . Being with a native will benefit you.

Don't flash money and if you go to market negotiating is required.

Lake Garda is nice and if you speak German there will be a lot German tourist there for vacation this time of year.

Verona is nice and has a Roman coliseum that is still being used for plays and concerts.

Vicenza has a lot of goldsmiths in the city and you can do well buying gold jewelry there.

Milan is very cosmopolitan and should be experienced.

Godetevi il viaggio e di essere intelligente. (Enjoy the journey and be smart) if my Italian is any good after 30 years.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The only part of Italy I saw was driving down the west coast to Rome in an old kombi in '77.. then up to Florence for a look for a week,,, then back to Rome and down the Appian way stopping at some out of they way place to go underground into deep, non touristy, catacombs out back of a food place/cafe a guy told at the cafe us about...
    Are you here to see the catacombs?.. huh? wtf are they?...:confused:

,,,underground caves/galleries/tombs/bones... cooooooooool,:).. ok show us the way down, Mario...:lol:
    frikken spooky...like really underground, musty, spooky, bones and tunnels shiite..:eek:. .........then to Pompeii....frazzed people,,,,over to Sicily/ Trapani... put the kombi on a ferryboat to Tunisia..... to head over to Morocco... as one does...:rolleyes:

I remember the first Pizza I got somewhere in Naples...... (a nice base, olive oil, herbs, garlic, a bit of cheese... no meat or luscious sauce /toppings.... quite nice and rustic in hind sight...

after eating aussie type pizza hut pizzas.... I thought... wtf? this sucks?... I was frikken hungry... don't you guys put stuff on pizzas here?.... I thought you guys invented them?... huh....:lol:

I'm wiser these days.... on the merits of a good pizza.... ;)

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Good to see you and Mary Cutrufello are still hitting the road together, hope ya'll have an awesome road trip!

Thx for sharing, be safe...

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's so cool Jakedog!

Maybe someone could arrange a meeting with the pope? He's getting kind of old and it's probably on his bucket list...

Have fun, bud!

5. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

This is, IMHO, the best advice of all.

I´ve been in Italy a few times and believe me, I have been laughed at! Loud and very much. And that is an ice breaker if any! "Italians" are fiercly proud of their village, their countryside, their local wine, their own version of "pasta" etc. They are Torinese, Milanese or Bolognese - not Italians.

But do take the time to learn a couple of phrases as Buon giorno, buona sera, buona notte, Mille grazie, Permeso etc

And have a wonderful stay - You will, believe me!

"Ciao!"

6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I hope you have a great time jakedog. Rome is the only part of Italy I've been to,I don't usually like cities,but I loved Rome. Here's some pics I took to whet your appetite!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats on that gig . . . Bon Voyage !

9. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

NICE is in FRANCE.:rolleyes:

10. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

We have, or at least had, some Italian members here. You should try to give them a shout out.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Take lots of pictures and have a great time!

12. ValDiaz

ValDiaz Tele-Holic

That's a nice gig to land Jake... Sounds great, sure you'll have a fine time. As a few posters have stated, learn a few words of Italian. Bear in mind you're going to Northern Italy - pizza, pasta & olive oil are more southern staples so if you see 'em on a menu - beware. But if you have an Italian in your group he'll probably know this...

13. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

If something surprises you, during the gig for instance, be sure to exclaim "Mama Mia!!" ...... The locals love it when you try to speak the local lingo ... It shows respect for the culture.

Good Luck, JD.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like a great plan!

My brother and my sisters have been over there a number of times each, and each says I am stupid not to sell a few guitars and just go over and check it out.

Each of them studied other languages in school, not Italian, and yet they found themselves best able to communicate in the local tongue with the people there (Northern Italy) than anywhere else over there (of course so many Germans are very fluent in English). My siblings' Italian language skills seemed to materialize out of thin air. They love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.