Going To Goodwill...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SnidelyWhiplash, Oct 5, 2021.

1. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

I'm a thrift shop junkie. I've found so much good stuff, and flipped many things for a profit. Most recently, I picked up the boxed set of Donovan's "A gift from a garden to a flower" complete with the printed lithographs and folder they came in -- for 99 cents. I also got a few old Silvertone compilation LPs on red vinyl. Nothing I'd listen to, but they look cool.

Where I've really scored is with speakers. Old Polk Audio bookshelf speakers for $5, KLH speakers for $2.50. My main speakers now are JBL indoor/outdoor speakers that I got for $8. They're amazingly good.

Also got a really cool handmade quilt for $7. It was a royal pain to wash it by hand in the tub, but worth it.

I've never found a decent instrument there, though. On the rare occasions there is something, it's junk.

Matt G likes this.
  2. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

I said basically the same thing when he told me the story.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My favourite shirt ever was a faded Levi cowboy shirt that was on a rack outside a Goodwill store ( size L). .Anyway it was priced at $7 but when I went to pay for it they said "Oh , It's going for $3."
    I loved that shirt and wore it onstage as it fitted my Telecaster and bands I played with.
    Sad ending was my ***** ex took the sleeves off and stained it with CAR paint when we painted the posts for a 4 car carport we were building before she left me.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

There is a Salvation Army store in a snob area called Unley- very British. The stuff there is AMAZING. A friend who suffered loss in the fires a couple of years ago completely refurnished his house ( right down to egg cups0 from this place. Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are good value and the money goes to the needy.

OmegaWoods likes this.
  5. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

I don't think I've worn a t-shirt that wasn't from GW or some other thrift store for a decade. I'd say that 80% of my clothes came from a thrift store.

Up until 18 months ago, I wore slacks and business casual to work five days per week and you'd never know that my button down shirt or my Dockers pants didn't come from Macy's.

If I had a store I could go to and pay $500 for a lightly used American Tele or $6000 for a two-year-old Honda Accord with 25k miles on it, why would I pay new prices? That's how I see it.

Are there crappy thrift stores? Of course. But once you know how to thrift and which stores get the good stuff, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

Dude! You knew my Grandma?

Gardo likes this.
  7. 1guy

1guy Tele-Meister

As much great stuff as I've gotten, it's the stuff that's gotten away that haunts me...

Last Summer, my GF were in GW and there was a nice set of drums...complete set in perfect shape for only $99. It was easily worth several hundred dollars.

I wanted to get em for my GF's son, but she didn't think they had room at home.

If I had the space, I'd have gotten em and just sat on em, til I could build a music room.

One day I found a 35 mm camera. As I was playing with it, another guy walked up next to me and opened a bag with SEVERAL 35 mm Nikons and snagged em.

I still got a few of them, and later found a newer digital Nikon.

When I got my Mirage speakers, there was another set of Klipsch that I let someone else have...

I picked up a front projector...works perfectly...left several other projectors in the store.

I saw a Fender volume pedal once and I didn't need it, at the time. Now I do and kick myself for not buying it.

I've found rich people often throw away better stuff than I buy new.

Attached Files:

8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

One of my biggest musical influences has been the records that ended up at Goodwill and other thrift stores in the 90s. The people dying back then had some great stuff.
    I still check them, but how many copies of Breezin' do I need?

Gardo likes this.
  9. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

My daughter would never wear thrift shop clothes, because, "They've all been peed on."

Happy Enchilada, rghill and Gardo like this.
  10. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope she never uses hotel sheets

SnidelyWhiplash and nojazzhere like this.
  11. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I checked the Goodwill web site....I see an LP Epiphone for $360!....if you went to GC you can get a new one cheaper!....very hard to find bargains there now !

rghill and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

Yeah! No kidding.

rghill likes this.
  13. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There is a certain faint urine/fecal smell in every Goodwill I have been in. Not quite like any other thrift store except for maybe Savers.

For clothes, I have taken my daughter to Deseret (the Mormon thrift store) and it always seems "cleaner".

There are a few thrift stores near me that are hit or miss as far as items. They have limited hours, and most of the stuff is fairly picked over. I kick myself for times that I have passed on nice audio equipment. I look for anything, but mostly old MIJ receivers and better speakers. But pickings have been slim.

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a pair of vintage AR-3A speakers for $8.00. It wasn't at Goodwill though. They would have had those on some collector boutique website somewhere. It was a mom and pop medical care thrift store and they were being used as a stage to support some Halloween decorations.

15. sloppychops

Yeah I know what you mean about the smell. Sometimes I wonder if it's the merchandise or the clientele. The ones I go to are frequented by hoarders. I always see them with carts full of knickknacks, clothing, kitchen utensils, plastic boxes, and whatnot.

I always check the wall with audio equipment, but the only decent finds are the occasional vintage loudspeaker. I look for vintage 1960s to 1970s transistor radios, but haven't come across any in years. I think they've figured out there's a market for them online and they never get put out in the stores anymore.

rghill likes this.
  16. sloppychops

I've looked at guitars on their website before and have just written it off completely. The prices are not at all in line with what they're listing. It's hard to believe what some of the guitars they list go for.

17. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

Isn't all auction-based, though? All the guitar listings I've caught early on (as well as those for cheap stuff that's never going to sell for much) have had stupid-low prices. Then anything name, or Japanese-cheap-guitar-funky or old-but-really-clean-looking can get crazy.

18. sloppychops

Well, anything that stays at a stupid low price generally isn't of much interest to me. And, yeah, anything in that cheap-funky-old niche tends to go stupid high.

19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to donate a walker to Goodwill today. I'd only used it inside the house for three days after a surgery I had six weeks ago, and it was in perfect condition.

As soon as I walked in the door, a gentleman said, "Sir, we don't accept medical equipment."

I'd never thought of that, but it makes sense. They'd probably be held liable if they sold a used walker to a little old lady, and she later fell down while using it.

20. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Poster Extraordinaire

My point is, any crazy prices are down to the people bidding and not Goodwill.

My guess is that it's a blanket rule for hygiene reasons, and walkers only "technically" count.

I got this off the Goodwill site for about $100. I won't get rich from re-selling it, but it's a good one.

1.jpg

mr natural likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.