Going To Goodwill...

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a thrift shop junkie. I've found so much good stuff, and flipped many things for a profit. Most recently, I picked up the boxed set of Donovan's "A gift from a garden to a flower" complete with the printed lithographs and folder they came in -- for 99 cents. I also got a few old Silvertone compilation LPs on red vinyl. Nothing I'd listen to, but they look cool.

Where I've really scored is with speakers. Old Polk Audio bookshelf speakers for $5, KLH speakers for $2.50. My main speakers now are JBL indoor/outdoor speakers that I got for $8. They're amazingly good.

Also got a really cool handmade quilt for $7. It was a royal pain to wash it by hand in the tub, but worth it.

I've never found a decent instrument there, though. On the rare occasions there is something, it's junk.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
My favourite shirt ever was a faded Levi cowboy shirt that was on a rack outside a Goodwill store ( size L). .Anyway it was priced at $7 but when I went to pay for it they said "Oh , It's going for $3."
I loved that shirt and wore it onstage as it fitted my Telecaster and bands I played with.
Sad ending was my ***** ex took the sleeves off and stained it with CAR paint when we painted the posts for a 4 car carport we were building before she left me.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
There is a Salvation Army store in a snob area called Unley- very British. The stuff there is AMAZING. A friend who suffered loss in the fires a couple of years ago completely refurnished his house ( right down to egg cups0 from this place. Goodwill and Salvation Army stores are good value and the money goes to the needy.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a GW fanatic. Go quite often. I have a closet full of clothes from there & most of my kitchen ware. I hate paying retail.
I don't think I've worn a t-shirt that wasn't from GW or some other thrift store for a decade. I'd say that 80% of my clothes came from a thrift store.

Up until 18 months ago, I wore slacks and business casual to work five days per week and you'd never know that my button down shirt or my Dockers pants didn't come from Macy's.

If I had a store I could go to and pay $500 for a lightly used American Tele or $6000 for a two-year-old Honda Accord with 25k miles on it, why would I pay new prices? That's how I see it.

Are there crappy thrift stores? Of course. But once you know how to thrift and which stores get the good stuff, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

1guy

Tele-Meister
As much great stuff as I've gotten, it's the stuff that's gotten away that haunts me...

Last Summer, my GF were in GW and there was a nice set of drums...complete set in perfect shape for only $99. It was easily worth several hundred dollars.

I wanted to get em for my GF's son, but she didn't think they had room at home.

If I had the space, I'd have gotten em and just sat on em, til I could build a music room.

One day I found a 35 mm camera. As I was playing with it, another guy walked up next to me and opened a bag with SEVERAL 35 mm Nikons and snagged em.

I still got a few of them, and later found a newer digital Nikon.

When I got my Mirage speakers, there was another set of Klipsch that I let someone else have...

I picked up a front projector...works perfectly...left several other projectors in the store.

I saw a Fender volume pedal once and I didn't need it, at the time. Now I do and kick myself for not buying it.

I've found rich people often throw away better stuff than I buy new.

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_104642803.jpg
    IMG_20200801_104642803.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210724_134508058.jpg
    IMG_20210724_134508058.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210207_190957185.jpg
    IMG_20210207_190957185.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200831_120941214.jpg
    IMG_20200831_120941214.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210723_142154337.jpg
    IMG_20210723_142154337.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 21

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
One of my biggest musical influences has been the records that ended up at Goodwill and other thrift stores in the 90s. The people dying back then had some great stuff.
I still check them, but how many copies of Breezin' do I need?

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I used to see some great vintage tube gear (not guitar amps, but audio) at a local goodwill. I believe it was because it was next to Sun City. When the kids clean out mom and dad's house after they pass away, they end up donating everything to local thrift store.

Those wonderful stereos and tape decks are history however. Now all I ever see is cheap import junk.
Yeah! No kidding.

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My daughter would never wear thrift shop clothes, because, "They've all been peed on."

There is a certain faint urine/fecal smell in every Goodwill I have been in. Not quite like any other thrift store except for maybe Savers.

For clothes, I have taken my daughter to Deseret (the Mormon thrift store) and it always seems "cleaner".

There are a few thrift stores near me that are hit or miss as far as items. They have limited hours, and most of the stuff is fairly picked over. I kick myself for times that I have passed on nice audio equipment. I look for anything, but mostly old MIJ receivers and better speakers. But pickings have been slim.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Where I've really scored is with speakers. Old Polk Audio bookshelf speakers for $5, KLH speakers for $2.50. My main speakers now are JBL indoor/outdoor speakers that I got for $8. They're amazingly good.
I picked up a pair of vintage AR-3A speakers for $8.00. It wasn't at Goodwill though. They would have had those on some collector boutique website somewhere. It was a mom and pop medical care thrift store and they were being used as a stage to support some Halloween decorations.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
There is a certain faint urine/fecal smell in every Goodwill I have been in. Not quite like any other thrift store except for maybe Savers.

For clothes, I have taken my daughter to Deseret (the Mormon thrift store) and it always seems "cleaner".

There are a few thrift stores near me that are hit or miss as far as items. They have limited hours, and most of the stuff is fairly picked over. I kick myself for times that I have passed on nice audio equipment. I look for anything, but mostly old MIJ receivers and better speakers. But pickings have been slim.

Yeah I know what you mean about the smell. Sometimes I wonder if it's the merchandise or the clientele. The ones I go to are frequented by hoarders. I always see them with carts full of knickknacks, clothing, kitchen utensils, plastic boxes, and whatnot.

I always check the wall with audio equipment, but the only decent finds are the occasional vintage loudspeaker. I look for vintage 1960s to 1970s transistor radios, but haven't come across any in years. I think they've figured out there's a market for them online and they never get put out in the stores anymore.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I checked the Goodwill web site....I see an LP Epiphone for $360!....if you went to GC you can get a new one cheaper!....very hard to find bargains there now !

I've looked at guitars on their website before and have just written it off completely. The prices are not at all in line with what they're listing. It's hard to believe what some of the guitars they list go for.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I've looked at guitars on their website before and have just written it off completely. The prices are not at all in line with what they're listing. It's hard to believe what some of the guitars they list go for.

Isn't all auction-based, though? All the guitar listings I've caught early on (as well as those for cheap stuff that's never going to sell for much) have had stupid-low prices. Then anything name, or Japanese-cheap-guitar-funky or old-but-really-clean-looking can get crazy.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Isn't all auction-based, though? All the guitar listings I've caught early on (as well as those for cheap stuff that's never going to sell for much) have had stupid-low prices. Then anything name, or Japanese-cheap-guitar-funky or old-but-really-clean-looking can get crazy.

Well, anything that stays at a stupid low price generally isn't of much interest to me. And, yeah, anything in that cheap-funky-old niche tends to go stupid high.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
I tried to donate a walker to Goodwill today. I'd only used it inside the house for three days after a surgery I had six weeks ago, and it was in perfect condition.

As soon as I walked in the door, a gentleman said, "Sir, we don't accept medical equipment."

I'd never thought of that, but it makes sense. They'd probably be held liable if they sold a used walker to a little old lady, and she later fell down while using it.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, anything that stays at a stupid low price generally isn't of much interest to me. And, yeah, anything in that cheap-funky-old niche tends to go stupid high.

My point is, any crazy prices are down to the people bidding and not Goodwill.

I tried to donate a walker to Goodwill today. I'd only used it inside the house for three days after a surgery I had six weeks ago, and it was in perfect condition.

As soon as I walked in the door, a gentleman said, "Sir, we don't accept medical equipment."

I'd never thought of that, but it makes sense. They'd probably be held liable if they sold a used walker to a little old lady, and she later fell down while using it.

My guess is that it's a blanket rule for hygiene reasons, and walkers only "technically" count.

I got this off the Goodwill site for about $100. I won't get rich from re-selling it, but it's a good one.

1.jpg