Going back to hardware - Tascam DP24/32 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Guitarteach, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I was looking at all the unfinished recordings work on my laptop and it’s pretty clear I am getting distracted by all the set up options and other pc stuff. It’s been a lost decade in many ways.

While I can always see myself mastering in a DAW, I want to get more immediacy into the initial recording.

I have been looking at the revised Tascam units with SD cards for quite a long time.

Anyone using them?

Thoughts? Integration with rack fx and compressors OK?

I will use my trusty Yamaha QY700 midi workstation for drums and patterns, so any thoughts on the midi synch experiences I am interested in too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Digital Larry and scelestus like this.
  2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

My 'thoughts'?

First....all these various units have their place/purpose depending on one's work flow preference and recording space.

Beginning in the late 70's I grew up on the Tascam porta studio, Teac R/R's and Fostex R/R's.
    I've never owned or desired this type of recording unit but I can see the portability benefit if recording 'portability' is your priority.
    As an every day default recording device....no way, far too much button pushing and scrolling navigation without the larger visual interface as with a DAW.
    "Immediacy"?....that aspect is not very relevant to me in this context.

Once a DAW is 'setup' it's essentially done.
    Fire it up, open your program, name the song, name your track, hit "R" and your recording.....and you (I) see everything on a 25" monitor. :)
    A template for future songs can easily be used to minimize the setup portion you find 'distracting'.

To confirm my perceptions of going the route your considering I just watched this video:

Not for me far too much tactile necessity which I find very cumbersome and "distracting".
    I'll stick to a mouse and a BIG view of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Check out the last 4-5 reviews on this page for more G2 on what users have submitted.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP24SD--tascam-dp-24sd-24-track-digital-portastudio/reviews
    That unit has no midi....you can only use one FX at a time.

At 500$.....I'd recommend you go for a good laptop (or desktop) with a well recommended audio interface to consider instead.
    If your preferred work flow is this type of interface then it's decided.
    I suggest more research of this recording device/approach before you take this plunge.

But....that's just me.....hope that helps.

3. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

How much money you want to invest? A RADAR and a good console would likely accomplish your goal - I know it would mine. Although I don’t own a commercial studio any longer (not for 10 yrs or so) the biggest gripe I had was how easy it was to just watch, then edit, as opposed to stringent listening through the process.

You know you can use a DAW as a digital recorder only, and do everything out of the box...it works well for a lot of people

4. Guitarteach

Thanks for comments. I have a PC DAW solution with ultra wide monitors, etc. and a Logic/Mac option too.

It will be used to capture tracks and then any mastering / fx will be done in a DAW. I have lots of real instruments pianos and synths and various orchestral string instruments and don’t use guitar modellers/vsts.

I do have the option to use my 24way live desk which has a 24:24 audio interface with an app too like Auria today too and get close to the portability & plug and go that I think I am looking for but that means resetting my desk between recording and gigs.

A portable solution for the band and something I can use as a sketch pad is what is drawing me to hardware again. I just seem to spend too much time fiddling with the UI and messing with plugins if I fire up the DAW and the several minutes it takes to fire up the studio is always a put off, esp. late at night when inspiration strikes.

Good to see what others think though.

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I learned on magnetic tape, analog mixers and racks of gear. Sometimes I miss the tactile feel of working with hardware but the DAW is so much easier to edit. In your shoes, I would take an afternoon to learn the tools you use on a regular basis and not get bogged down in the myriad of options you don't use.

6. chulaivet1966

I've read some favorable reviews of this device:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWBM62/?tag=tdpri-20

Unless you're saying you need the multiple individual tracks for your band 'sketch pad'. :)

Carry on....

7. Guitarteach

We have one of those. Use one at every rehearsal. They are great.

Yep. The 8 inputs at once (or 24 from our desk) is attracting me for making better band recordings.

8. chulaivet1966

Chuckle....I hear you. :)
    Coming from the analog world and multiple and racks of flat black boxes it's truly amazing what tools we have now.

Let us know what you go with?

Back to it.....

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

An old bandmate of mine recently bought both the DP24 and the Zoom R24 to compare. For overall flexibility the R24 won out due to its ability to be used as a direct recording interface when he wanted more tactile control over his DAW. Sound quality he was more impressed with the DP24, but it's a fully in-the-box solution. All recording is done directly on the DP24, and then only transferrable elsewhere by SD card.

Neither unit is going to be external rack gear/FX friendly as they only have the one set of stereo outs, and I don't know how much complexity either allows in their routing setups.

10. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I used a Roland VS880 for about a decade. That thing is still pretty impressive. Saw one for $70.00 a couple days ago. Something like that might inspire you to finish a project. Worth a try if you are feeling stuck.

I just got an EHX 45000 looper and have been using it almost like a 4 track. The sound is awful but it is really fun. Like a sketch pad for ideas. Lots of “happy accidents” as Bob Ross would say.

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

If it still matters...

What I did for several years as an indie owner/operator was have a handful of righteous comps, couple of good effects, and a 32 channel board. Using ProTools, Cubase, Samplitude, whatever, I’d track as most people do, but come mix time would use the board as a summing system, with subgroups coming out of DAW. Some call it stems, but it worked really well. Got to a point the only time I really NEEDED the LFC was for tracking large numbers of inputs with multiple cue mixes.

12. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I did this five years ago after fighting with latency and blue screens. I bought a DP24 and I use it for all my tracking, then dump the WAVs into my DAW for editing later.

I have no regrets about it at all, and have even been tempted to buy another DP24 to keep in the box for posterity.

13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

If you need to record 8 tracks at once and don't want to use a laptop, those Tascams are probably the way to go.

There's also the Zoom R16/R24. I use a Zoom R24 to capture everything in raw 16bit 44.1kHz .wav, then just plug the SD card into my PC to transfer the wavs to my DAW for mixing. The whole thing fits into a 17" laptop bag. I use a separate duffel for microphones and cables.

The R24 is about the same price as the Tascam DP24 but with less buttons (and also probably fewer functions). I was looking at the larger Tascam DPs 7 years ago, but back then the Zoom was actually cheaper IIRC. The R16 is $100USD cheaper than the 24 ($400) and still captures up to 8 inputs at a time I think.

Of course when you go down to 2 tracks there are endless options that are much cheaper. Zoom H4, Tascam DP008, DP-03, I think Korg had one at some point even.

14. Guitarteach

Well I got it... a DP32SD. Very very impressed. I got several tracks of a song down immediately without even opening the manual.

It’s got the old school studio feel with an obvious workflow, routing and fx.

The onboard fx are actually pretty great. The compressor is especially good on DI bass. There are two independent aux outs for external hardware fx but not needed to use them yet but I have a Lexicon rack to plug in.

The immediate thing is just how quick it is... power up my little studio, power up the Tascam and it’s all go in less than 10 seconds.

My synth is now actually a synth again and not redundant and with 8 live simultaneous inputs from 32 to use I have the sequencer / arranger and other keyboard in semi permanently to sequence and synch midi externally, to record as multi when ready, so no issue without that.

Pros:

- audio quality is great. Indistinguishable from anything else digital I’ve used.

- You instantly start listening closely to the tracks you lay down not just look at them. It’s seem insignificant but it’s better at least to me. It is what a I was missing.

- Setting a template project/track was easy.

- It has a USB interface and appears like a drive on the PC/DAW so the workflow to DAW mastering is pretty straightforward.

- ZERO latency. Wow Yeah! I remember. That was standard once!

- all in one with zero setup other than formatting an 32gig SD card

- makes you plan your recording with a chart and notes and then straight into it.. meaning I don’t get bogged down playing with the options and configuration of loads of VSTs/plugins and screen clutter.

- it’s really cheap for what you get.

- I can carry it anywhere and have a band recording setup ready to go in minutes.

Cons:

- The sockets on the back need their letters on the front so you know what is plugged in what. So it will be getting some tape labels

- Wave editing is limited by screen size but that can be done by moving stuff to a DAW.

I still have a big desk & daw option and an iPad / Auria option with either my small or big live desk but I see this Tascam being the go to songwriting tool now.

hemingway, SolidSteak and Chud like this.
  15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

That’s cool the 32 bumps up the feature set a bit from the 24 with physical sends. I wonder if the usb could double as a monitor out just to get some more screen size on the meters, parameters and editing. I had a Roland VS2480 nearly 2 decades ago that had the old connection style for monitor and mouse, and it was nice to get away from the small lcd.

Small taters though. Great score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

This thread is very interesting to me as I have all sorts of musical ideas that pop out spontaneously (like I pretty much wrote a new guitar tune yesterday in the time it took to play it the first time). And I struggle like mad to get them to the next step. After going through several years of wondering which bit of gear would help me break through the logjam, I more or less decided that it was down to me staying in my comfort zone of initial creativity and not wanting to get down to the more tedious task of arranging and editing and whether or not to worry about mistakes or embrace them in some way.

My solution to the "capture an idea before it disappears" dilemma came down to a looper pedal. I've replaced that with Quanitloop running on an iPad. So I can still capture ideas before they disappear. I also got a Behringer XR18 which lets me leave everything plugged in all the time rather than swapping cables into a 4-input box, which I also sold. And I keep the DAW open and running all the time.

I did look at dedicated recorders for a long time and was on the verge of buying a Zoom or Tascam for about 2 years, but never did. For me, the problem was not so much the hardware as my own issues and motivations and what exactly I want to do with a spare hour in the evening when I don't have a lot of energy. Editing tracks is too much like work, but capturing ideas is more like fun, so regardless of my setup, that's what I spend most of my time doing.

Tonight I'm going to take up a friend's offer to go to his place and we take turns recording each other and see how far we get. That at least introduces the social aspect which I have also been missing for a long time. If I were in a band and mixing/recording songs, I'd feel a sense of obligation to them.

SolidSteak likes this.
  17. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Sounds cool. I like using a DAW as much as anyone, but it's nice having something to record with where you don't have to worry about what your OS is, or how much RAM you have, processor speed, interfaces, etc. If I had waited a few years for the price to come down on the Tascam options I probably would have opted for a DP24!
    Yeah I have that same problem on the Zoom R24; it's just too much of a PITA to trim and edit on a small LCD. Since I still do all my mixing and editing in the DAW anyway I leave a lot of bungled notes and mistakes on the Zoom to edit out later.

18. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've had my Tascam DP24SD for several years now and love it. It's easy to use and the finished product sounds great.I had a DAW setup for a few years and spent too much time with settings, software and apps to actually make it fun and keep me interested....not to mention the latency issues. It was a good purchase that works for me and has brought back the fun into producing and recording again.

19. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Do you want to work at it or just have fun?
    Is this just a hobby or are you looking at it as a business?
    I like the simple "Ronco" approach...."Set it and forget it!"
    Doesn't sound quite as good but I'm having a blast!

Tascam DP-006 & Tascam DP-03

DSCN3242.JPG

20. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well, a $29 recorder at radio shack will capture your immediate ideas. It uses 2 / AAA batteries !

Not trying to be funny, but purpose is everything.

Heck I run two Pro Tools system but use my cell phone audio recorder app for simple ideas that I don't want to forget !

We are all different, we all approach things differently. A pain for one person is a breeze for another, and vice versa.

PURPOSE !:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.