1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Going back on hiatus

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleJ717, Apr 8, 2021.

1. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

So, I think I’ve posted on here where I recently got back into playing over the last year or two. I work in the medical field and needless to say, it was quite a year. I have now reached a point where I want/need to further my education. It’s only going to take two years, but it will be basically work/school/sleep/repeat. I don’t have a lot of gear reacquired and I’m thinking of selling what little I have to help with school. It’s not much, and it’s nothing that couldn’t be replaced with a click of the Sweetwater button.

I’d keep a guitar around and hold onto maybe 2 pedals for future use, but otherwise I think I’m going to let the rest go. I’m not much of a contributor here at the moment, but it’s been a nice place. I just may be absent for a bit. Thanks for listening.

Matt G, Frodebro, richiek65 and 7 others like this.
  2. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Good luck to you! I wish you the very best in your schooling or whatever you decide to do.

Fendereedo and TeleJ717 like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I get it. My gear intake/collection waxes and wanes with what’s going on in my life. I think you’re going about it the right way for you.

Hold onto a guitar just to have something to strum when you have downtime or want to come back to it here and there. But chasing gear and the guitar in general doesn’t need to be a singular focus all the time.

It’s a nice pastime that you can almost always come back to when you’re ready to dive back in.

Matt G, Fendereedo and TeleJ717 like this.
  4. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Best of luck, keep the guitar around, try to play 10 mins every other day.
    If you can, you will be better off when you get back to it . . . .

5. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Amen to the above poster. If you have interest in retaining at least the physical skills you might consider drills/exercises; 10-15m 3-4x/week should keep you sharp. Tomo Fujita's got some great ones on his YT channel.

6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

It's a good idea! I went to back to college twice! Once when I was about your age. Nights and weekends man while I was working full time. I kept only 1 acoustic guitar. It works, just stick to it. I was in the medical field also. Good luck.

7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

In particular I recommend doing the "Spider Walk" as the 1 exercise to just pick up and do once a day as you walk by it.
    I did this at the beginning of the lockdown and noticed a difference

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck to you, education is extremely important. A few years back I sold all of my guitars, bar one. My son went to university to study chemical engineering. He need a little cash in his first year, so I sold my gear. Over time I've bought new gear, and my son had help when he needed it. At the end of the day, it's just gear, especially if your not too sentimental about. All the best with the study work.

TeleJ717 likes this.
  9. Modernelove

Modernelove Tele-Meister

Good luck with your endeavors. I’m currently halfway through a nursing program and personally I would go crazy without my guitars. This website is a great way to decompress too, but a persons gotta do what a persons gotta do.

TeleJ717 and Fendereedo like this.
  10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Congratulations on a wise decision and investment in yourself and future :)

Guitar playing is always there, once you wrap your head around your new schedule you might find it relaxing to take a break and just play music...it might even be good for your studies.

I own a relatively high, mental intensity business and find the guitar really helps me have a mental break every so often.

TeleJ717 and Fendereedo like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I took an extended hiatus from 1978 to 2008 for education, career development, and to raise a family. One way to think of it is as lost time but in hind sight I made a good choice. I lived a life I’d never thought possible. Then coming back to guitar, I more than made up for lost time. Do what’s right for you and your family and let the future take care of itself.

TeleJ717 likes this.
  12. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. I appreciate the encouragement. I really do.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with the suggestion of keeping at least one guitar around. They are a great stress release, and you don't need to make a full time commitment to it to reap the benefits of an occasional break from life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.