Goin to Carolina

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ravindave_3600, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Savannah and Hilton head kinda share an airporch. Savannah is a close and convenient tour destination, and Charleston is a reasonable distance. Wilmington, NC and the surrounding area are nice.

The O.B.'s are nice but it takes time to get there. The ferry rides are slow and the drives are kinda slow too. Just beware that you may try to do too much too fast with the time you have.

DekeDog likes this.
  2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

BBQ and seafood. Man I could live on that given half a chance.

In my view there's not a whole lot of attractions between the coast and Raleigh. Oh I'm sure there's something I'm not aware of, but still. So I'd say stay towards the coast as long as you can.... Just my two cents

DekeDog likes this.
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Depends on what you like... touristy and busy or laid back and quiet. Regardless, if you're close enough to Savannah, check it out. The River Street is touristy but fun. Good music, good food, good time, but all of Savannah is great. Beaufort is between Savannah and Charleston, and it's worth a look.

Charleston and Wilmington are covered. McClellanville is a quaint southern town between Charleston and Georgetown, which has a cool historic area with good restaurants and fresh shrimp right off the boat.

Pawleys Island and Litchfield Beach are between Georgetown and Murrells Inlet, and there are good restaurants (Chive Blossom, Frank's, Bistro 217, and the Litchfield Inn) and Brookgreen Gardens, which is fabulously beautiful with amazing statuary and gardens. Beautiful and less populated beaches, too. Murrells Inlet south of Myrtle Beach has tons of good restaurants (I recommend the Hot Fish Club), but mostly "Calabash" style, if that's what you like.

If you like rowdy crowds, party people, and tourist traps, Myrtle Beach is the place for you. Myrtle Beach has lots of things to do and places to go if you thrive in crowded clubs and beaches, and tons of traffic. Hell to me, but younger people seem to dig that. Lots of infected people there currently. The Sea Captain's House there is an excellent restaurant.

Just into NC, the small town of Calabash is known for its own cooking style of mostly fried fish platters and hushpuppies. The whole Outer Banks strand is worth the drive, from Ocracoke Island north by ferry through Hatteras, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Duck. Ocracoke is a cool little town with lots of things to do. North of that has pockets of interesting places, but mostly scenic ocean and sound views and nice places to stay. I've stayed at the Sanderling Resort (just north of Duck) a few times, and it is very nice, but very expensive.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Seafood and pig.

5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I was born in Hickory. But that’s nowhere near the coast, so I’m no help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.