Goin to Carolina

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ravindave_3600, Sep 15, 2020.

1. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I'm headed down to the Carolinas in a couple of weeks, see my uncle (Hilton Head) then take a drive up the coast, do the Outer Banks, and fly home out of Raleigh (probably).

Anything I should do, see, hear, or eat along the way?

Torren61 likes this.
  2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Earlier this year we took a few days and drove back from Hilton Head to Williamsburg. We went inland to Laurenburg because of a particularly good airBnB there in an historic mansion near the library, but then we went to the coast for a bit. 2 things I liked a lot were the aquarium at Pine Knoll shores and the old historic town of Beaufort....Blackbeard's hangout.

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Wilmington is on the coast and worth a stop. Quaint, old city on the water. Lots of history.

I don't know where "home" is, but Outer Banks > Raleigh seems like a haul to end your trip.

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

You can stop by my former home at Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville). Not always the friendliest lot for folks just wandering up, though!

5. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

TW Graham’s in McClellanville... good fresh seafood.
    Shrimp Shack heading south On 21 from Beaufort (SC, not NC... there is a Beaufort in both states... spelled the same, pronounced differently) toward Fripp Island. Good seafood, incredible environment. Nothing fancy though.

OBX are my heaven on earth or over 20 years now. Shhhh don’t tell anyone. Getting too much attention.

DekeDog likes this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

The battleship North Carolina in Wilmington is fun if you like that kind of thing. Also Kill Devil Hills and Kittyhawk where the Wright Brothers made history. Lots of pirate lore around Ocracoke, Some Beard, Blue or Black, maybe Captain Kidd or someone was caught and hung there. The famous Lighthouse at Cape Hatteras. If you go inland there is the Great Dismal Swamp.

DekeDog likes this.
  7. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I hear BBQ is popular around there...

geoff_in_nc, KS6V and DDickens like this.
  8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I'm wearing a Great Dismal Swamp baseball cap right now.
    Probably the only one in Ireland...

getbent, 61fury and rangercaster like this.
  9. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

Don't skip Ocracoke on the Outer Banks. Worth the trip.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

If you have the James Taylor album with the song Carolina In My Mind, then you don't have to go at all.

Chip and rangercaster like this.
  11. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Or maybe something from his brother Livingston....

archetype likes this.
  12. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

All the beaches on Hilton Head are terrific but my favorite is Fish Haul Beach, a little less visited by the tourists than most. And if you like Japanese food Hinoki (on New Orleans Rd) is Japanese owned and run and has the by far the best sushi (and other stuff) in the area. Hudson's and The Dockside restaurants on Skull Creek are also pretty good.

If you like nature, Pinckney Island NWR is a classic Lowcountry island in between Bluffton on the mainland and HHI. It's an easy turn right off the Rte 278 bridge. It offers easy (and more challenging) walks and lots of local wildlife, even if the early spring egret nesting season is probably the best time to be there.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/pinckney_island/

Bluffton has an interesting Old Town with historic buildings (including the Church of the Cross on the May River) and some fun restaurants. It's only minutes from HHI across the bridge.

[​IMG]

Beaufort - the one in SC is pronounced byoo-frt! - is an interesting little town and there is another small but interesting nature reserve called Cypress Wetlands right in the middle of the little nearby town of Port Royal. Hunting Island is not far from there too.

https://www.sctrails.net/trails/trail/cypress-wetlands

https://southcarolinaparks.com/hunting-island

On your way back be sure to check out Charleston which has great restaurants and maybe on your drive up there stop at John's Island and check out the 400+ year old Angel Oak, the largest tree in South Carolina...

[​IMG]

Have a good trip.

MarkieMark and Dan R like this.
  13. Elliot_G

Elliot_G TDPRI Member

61fury and Archtop Bill like this.
  14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Edisto Beach State Park is REALLY nice. Go to the undeveloped part. Very tidal, so if your timing is good, you can wade way out. Tide leaves nice pools in the sand dunes so you can warm yourself in your own saltwater soak. Tons of sea shells, as no one is allowed to take any. I'm a Great Lakes/freshwater type, but this is the nicest seashore I've ever been to.

15. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Another suggestion for Beaufort SC, a nice drive south of Hilton Head, is a history rich town. Much of Forrest Gump was filmed there. Machette Flats has shrimp boats. There are Revolutionary War era church ruins to tour. If you are a photographer, bring an extra memory card and plan to stay at least one night.

16. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

All good ideas. Beaufort and Port Royal are good towns, and I've been to CHS several times. Ideas for coastal NC?

17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Several good suggestions here.
    I guess it depends on what you are into.....

I found visiting the angel tree to be a downright spiritual experience. But others may not be that into that.

Food? Wow. Where to start? Theres good food all over. I go for the local experience. Not the fancy.

Charleston Crabhouse in the historic area was good eats. High end food in a classic casual setting.

Just a little north is a good restaurant on Shem's creek, where the fish/shrimp boats dock. Fresh seafood like you wont readily find too many places. Prices were reasonable. Dolphins feeding in the inlet. Really nice. Paradise. Hated to head north...

NC coast...
    I like Wilmington. The arts district on the Cape Fear river front is a pleasant little day trip. Lots of good food right there too. Take a river boat tour.

If you go south from there to Carolina beach, go spend a day/evening or overnight at the Surfside Hotel. Casual. Good restaurant and a Tiki Bar on the pier.
    Grouper, shrimp or fried chicken tacos. Best calimari I have ever had.
    Calibash style fried baskets if thats your thing.
    Have a Mojito. Put it on my tab.

Theres also an aquarium and an old fort compound south of there, and you can take the ferry across to South Port for some sight seeing.
    Tour the town. Check out the maritime museum. Heck, walk the graveyard and check out the old stones.

Tons of cool stuff. Again, depending on what your into.

I like the old archetecture. And very old gnarly live oaks. And the people I meet. And fresh seafood.

I miss it right now.

18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

The Carolinas call to me.
    They have for years.

19. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

I'm not sure how many days you want to spend so I'll throw out all the ideas I know. Someone just covered Wilmington but ditto on spending a few hours downtown, nice restaurants and the battleship is close if that's your thing. Follow the coast north to Morehead City and Atlantic Beach. Out on Atlantic Beach is the Pine Knolls aquarium mentioned and the other direction you can go to Fort Macon civil war fort. Pretty cool and you can walk out to the beach at the point and usually lots shells. Beaufort, NC is close and cool place walk around and eat. From there head out to Cedar Island and catch the ferry to Ocracoke Island and lighthouse. Another ferry ride a Hatteras and then you can drive up the Outer Banks to Nags Head/Jockey Ridge/Kitty Hawk. Lots to do there. The dunes at Jockey Ridge are awesome. The Wright Brothers museum was really interesting. There's an aquarium out there also.

I've been to all these places but never in one big sweep. As mentioned, besides the seafood at the coast the Carolinas are pretty proud of their barbeque so ask a local somewhere where to get a good chopped bbq sandwich/plate.

DekeDog likes this.
  20. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

When I am on the coast, its seafood.

But if I am landlocked, bbq is the stuff. Pulled pork please!
    And fwiw, I have never had bad bbq in the Carolina region. Try it all.

And I'll have some boiled peanuts while I wait please. :cool:

Tele Slacker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.