Godin? Anybody?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, May 28, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve had a couple Seagull acoustics and just loved them. I’ve never had a Godin... but I suddenly find myself rather enamored with the Session HT and Stadium HT models. They look fantastic, specs look perfect, parts all made in Canada and assembled in the US? For $600?

I like everything about them. But at that price it has to be too good to be true, right?

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Delete post

3. kkfaudio

kkfaudio TDPRI Member

I haven’t met anything under the Godin label I haven’t liked I always feel like they are great instruments, and not just “great for the money”

4. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I've played a couple of their electrics in store (not the models you're talking about) and while they seemed decent, I didn't feel strongly enough about them to want to buy one.

It also seems to me that they change their model lineup quite often. I don't know how often this happens but I know one model I was interested in a couple of years ago no longer exists.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff!
    I’ve sold a ton of it!
    I once owned a great, early Godin 5 string bass.
    I’ve kept my eye peeled for another.
    It was in the late 90s.
    It had active EMGS, and was all Canadian made.
    Best 5 string I ever played/had!

6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I had a Godin electric that was a great guitar for the money. Wish I never sold it.

telestratosonic and Jakedog like this.
  7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I have never met a Godin I didn't love. I don't think you can go wrong.

telestratosonic, DavidP and Jakedog like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I like their necks, but I have never played a Godin (or their branch-off subsidiaries like Seagull, etc.) that sounded exceptional. I think there is a good reason why luthiers do not use the wood materials that Godin uses. My wife the bass player, is always my "audience" standing 20' away as my judge for sound projection. Their instruments just are not as "alive" compared to their competitors. My .02 worth.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

The Godin Richmond Dorchester model has popped up on the local craigslist several times and it caught my eye, but I haven't bought one yet.

[​IMG]

10. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

First line in your post is kinda goofy. None worth keeping, or are you like a car dealer? They are all for sale...

PlainAllman and brookdalebill like this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I worked at three music stores in Canada, and four in Texas.
    I did repairs and sales.
    Godin is a cool, forward thinking company!

12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I use a Godin A6 Ultra for my pseudo-acoustic gigs. I think it's a great guitar. I've only played one of their electrics once - owned by a local guitarist - about 25-30 years ago and it played like the proverbial buttuh. I'm pretty sure he's still playing it to this day.

13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I think I’ve owned Godin LGs more than any other guitar model over the years (five or six I believe). They’re just such a great value I keep coming back to them.

As others have said, they’re just great guitars, not just great for the money. To get a North American made guitar with their feature set for the prices you can get them used is pretty amazing.

14. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

I never met a Godin I couldn't find something about to like. Very consistent guitars across the whole lineup in my experience. Players for sure. One thing I can say to the point raised above about the guitars not being lively, I don't agree with this. I will say that based on the Godins I have owned it seems like they lean towards more HiFi pickups even on their single coil or clone type stuff. I personally like that but some people do not. I had an Artisan ST that was one of the most well crafted guitars I have ever owned, it had blade pickups that were incredibly clear and powerful, but certainly not vintage sounding by any stretch. It was very useful in live situations but it wasn't a guitar you would have plugged into a Fender deluxe at low volumes for beautiful vintage sounds, if that makes sense. I wish I still had it but every guitar I have ever owned has become a victim of G.A.S. lol... Some last longer (much longer) than others but at some point I get tired and answer the call and a trade or sale occurs.

15. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I bought a used Godin Ultra 6 last summer.

I like it a lot as far as playability and construction.

I did not care for their humbucker paired with the under-saddle piezo, setup. The hb overpowered the piezo and was muddy, alone.

I ended up putting an old Bill Lawrence designed L250 strat pickup (a stacked hb) that is a lot clearer sounding and still quiet.

And, it blends better and doesnt overpower the piezo.

Next, I had to experiment to find the right strings for it.

Electric strings suited the L250 but didnt get the piezo working well.

After trying different gauges I finally came to acoustic 80/20, 12's.

They provide enough vibration for the piezo and also seem to sit well with the L250.

Blending them together makes for a really interesting, unique, middle of the road acoustic/electric sound(s).

(I'm a big fan of JJ Cale and much of his sound came from that "blend." I was looking specifically for that sound and this comes close.)

And, it sounds better for using the piezo, alone... which also is what I wanted.

The other issue is the tiny pots/knobs they use to adjust treb/bass for the magnetic pu.

They really should try to use standard pots if possible.

Nice guitar, though.

telestratosonic, Gene O. and Jakedog like this.
  16. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I have a couple. Freeway Classic. XTSA and a Session Custom TP. One thing for certain is Godin builds a quality instrument but their not for everyone. Wouldn't be a metal players guitar of choice. From what I understand the hardware is rebadged Schaller and pickups SD designed for Godin. Kind of not too hot not too cold just right in the middle. Maybe even a little bright sounding. Or at least that's my observation. Necks are about as comfortable as I've ever played but the XTSA is a back breaker. Must be upwards of 10lbs. but as a MIDI guitar its really only used in studio in which case sitting is always an option. All in all I wouldn't hesitate buying another Godin.

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

The fretwork and fit and finish on them is extremely good for what they cost. Quality of materials is very good too. They are on par with the PRS SE (import) line and the Yamaha Pacifica series: the most good guitar you can get for the least amount of money.

I own no Godins, but I've tech'd on a bunch. I do have a Seagull acoustic and my hunnie has a Seagull; both are fine players. Robert Godin makes several brands: Godin, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, LaPatrie, Simon & Patrick, and Norman. Each brand is aimed at a specific market, and they are all pretty nice.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

There is a Godin dealer/store near where I work. I have stopped in once and eyed at a couple Seagulls. He seems like a nice guy. I feel bad for him right now because he is shutdown. Hope he survives.

emisilly, telestratosonic and Jakedog like this.
  20. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Yep. I am a fan

E23518D2-2959-4769-A74D-CD691E62F9D5.jpeg 7DE6B3DE-D4C7-45ED-B2AE-061977D544E0.jpeg 5CF6EC92-14FA-49BF-AF3A-BFF35FE7FB37.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.