Go ride!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 6, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

It's bike week and brewery ride night here.

In a few weeks we're doing a movie premier and fundraiser with the Trek C3 crew here. Tomorrow one of the top trail builders anywhere starts a project at our ski club.

Now to get through the work day. My posse has a pretty big night planned for an old guy. It's looking like I've got 15-30 years on those who've committed. Last week's had me hurting for days but you just never know which day could be the last so here we go again.

This is part of my resisting an e bike but thinking it could be in my future.

william tele and Stubee like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I see these exhortations all the time on FB. "Go ride!" "Go grill!" "Go eat!"
    They mostly make me want to go nap

String Tree likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Go nap!! :lol:

- D

4. imwjl

I think you live close by. Join us when you wake up.

Videos like that motivate me even if it's a sport or activity I don't do or know, and for music performances I respect greatness even if the genre is not a favorite.

fendertx and Telecasterless like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

imwjl, i do respect you guys out there tearing it up on the bikes after work hours and on the weekends. it's just never really been my thing. i will be hosting an open mic tonight, that's more my speed

"Get out and Brown Eyed Girl!"

william tele and ndcaster like this.
  6. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

A bike will do just fine even on rough ground - if you don't disturb it too much.

7. imwjl

That's a tie to the building and builder/digger I mentioned. A close look at that video I posted might reveal how much goes into the digging part. I was thrilled to have a mostly women crew on a dig day earlier this spring - they listen - and get a spot tuned so you can fly off one roller at an angle and land into the next berm. The subtle bit of flight pumps you into the rest. If you ride the bike as it would roll without you you just keep going faster and take the last berm 90 degrees to the ground. Super fun.

8. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

I like to watch people do downhill, freeride and stunt riding. It is something that feels a bit beyond me.

When I go riding on trails, it is pretty much rubber on dirt riding, in an area where there's nothing you could honestly call a mountain. The principle of not disturbing the bike too much still applies on the rocks and roots of what I like to call "natural" trails: not actually built but formed by people going where they want to go, sometimes it might be on former forest machinery tracks.

9. imwjl

I'm far from mountains but we do incorporate trails where you have 500 - 900 ft of vertical and thousands over a ride. It started with a lot of existing corridors and making unsustainable corridors but some of us have gotten as obsessed with good trail building as much as the riding. That's made it all the more fun. No matter where you ride it is worth building some gravity skills. If you know how to pump and be in the air without clip/cleat pedals you will take your fun and abilities to a next level.

10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I wish I could.

I prefer single-track dirt trails, plenty around here without cars to deal with.

Never have been hurt riding on the dirt outside of a few stupid moves when I was younger. Have rode all kinds of conditions. Heck, I have raced mini-bikes against pro motorcycle racers. So I am not new to 2 wheels (although I have stayed off bigger motorcycles).

A few weeks ago I went for a ride on the paved bike/pedestrian trail. I wasn't paying attention, put my left down to stabilize myself going down one of the few hills on paved trail. Stuck my big toe so hard on something that I broke it in 7 places! That hurt so bad that I collapsed and fell onto my right side, breaking my right arm.

So I won't be enjoying any riding soon!
    Or telecaster playing. My right hand is good, but can't fit tele body under my arm. Strat is a little better, but painful.
    :(

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

william tele, Mike Eskimo and imwjl like this.
  12. imwjl

Bummer. I know how that sort of thing can happen. I did have a bad shoulder injury skiing but after completing truly expert stuff. I was bumped waiting for the chairlift. Last week no damage from expert level riding but yes for a stupid low speed fall when someone in front of me stopped on climb.

Heal up fast and well!
    Look up Lea Schaepe on the web or youtube.

:)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Technical trails ? I bought a super expensive mt bike 25 years ago and rode the snake-y switchbacks 3 or 4 times but -

They kept finding me off in the brush face down. I found it so boring I would fall asleep and...

They say speed kills but - it’s also fun. I need pavement.

And I’m pretty sure they were talking about snorting Benzedrine off a nova’s dashboard when they said it originally so...

Anywho, this afternoon once again , I’m going to pretend like my back actually still works and doesn’t hurt and is still flexible and go and do my current 11 to 14 miles trying to get back up there eventually to 20 to 30 per day.

Go biking !

Or don’t, I don’t care. I know how it is.

william tele likes this.
  14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

15. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Gatineau beer fest starts tonight. Great excuse for me to get out and bike! :D

16. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

I got my first concussion racing dual slalom at Sea Otter in Laguna Seca in 2013. I got my second concussion practicing in Marin, CA for the the dual slalom at Sea Otter in 2014? 2015? I don't remember.. .. ..

:eek:

In between I did a little trailwork with a bunch of people who did a lot of trailwork, and it was a great experience. And sometimes there was beer, too!

Thank goodness for ASTM1952 helmets (they look like a DOT motocross helmet but have lighter foam).

Have fun and keep up the good work!

imwjl likes this.
  17. imwjl

It's official. Trek will do the debut of this film locally, the proceeds for that show benefit our trails, and it includes a party with the riders here. It is really nice to have Trek become a member of the community in their own back yard.

18. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I couldn’t agree more! 28 mile gravel ride on this today for a 14mph average. 74 miles for the week. I’ve been wanting to do some trail riding but it’s been an extremely wet spring. My favorite local trail(70 miles away) has been closed and riding anything else is irresponsible.
    305A6B93-453D-43D8-A143-6EF8F0242368.jpeg

imwjl likes this.
  19. perttime

perttime Friend of Leo's

Some also say that speed compensates for your errors. To some extent that works for trails riding: if you go too slow, you don't get over some obstacles.

20. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Where's here?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.