go back to a 10 inch speaker in a blues jr. ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mim2h, Oct 24, 2014.

1. mim2h

mim2h TDPRI Member

Have any of you blues jr. owners switched from the 12 inch speaker to a 10 inch speaker ? I'm thinking about a Ragin Cajun swap with a modded baffle.

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I have read that Ragin' Cajun is a 'loud' speaker but a little stiff, a little barky. I think you might prefer the Eminence 1028-K, Alnico with a Kapton surround, rated at 35 watts. I put two of them in my 2X10 '63 brown Vibroverb Reissue and it now sounds "Glorious"... Very three-dimensional, complex and VERY SWEET! I have another 1028K in it's unopened box and I am about to try it in my Silver Face Princeton Reverb... I know I won't be disappointed. And, as you know, they are USA made and a great price. Last year I got the one for my Princeton for $60.00 with free shipping from Amazon... Good luck...

TequilaCaster and ce24 like this.
  3. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Why?

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Why what?

5. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

Not me but good idea.

Why?

The 10 will have qualities the 12 is lacking, and visa versa.

The ten will be more acute, have more bite, be clearer, the 12 will sound bigger, and woofier.

This from a non speaker switcher but I have amps with a single 8, 10, and 12 to compare.

delkabong likes this.
  6. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I got a BJr recently (the newest model) and looked at all the mods people do to them, but having just done a gig with the new amp I just wonder why you would bother changing anything - it sounded really good with a Tele and a Gretsch. I play country and rockabilly mainly. I had one about 10 years ago and sounded fine in its stock form, but as the band I had just joined was loud and I went for a bigger amp, but the BJr handled most smaller gigs.

7. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I've actually been thinkin' about this and have considered the Ragin' Cajun. Mojotone makes a 12" to 10" conversion ring which should work perfectly. If you do this let me know how it works for you!

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd be looking at the lil buddy

9. mim2h

mim2h TDPRI Member

I am going to try running the Bjr. head into a Rajin Cajun that is in a Frontman 25 I have before I mod anything. I have a friend that has an early tweed version of the Bjr. that has the 10 inch speaker, and i like the sound of his much better than mine. I have a brown label 12 inch in one of mine, and the other is a new Bjr. 3. I will report back when i try it.

10. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

I had an early Blues Jr and it had a boxy tone I couldn't dial out even with speaker swaps. Maybe they've addressed that in new ones.
    I was thinking at the time that the cab dimensions might suit a 10 better. Sold it, bought a SFVR.. ahh that's better.

11. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

I rebuilt my 1997 BJr' last year into a 3 speaker amp. I always found the 12" Eminence Special Design a bit trebly to my ears. I had a Bugera V5 at one time and liked the sound of the 4ohm 8" Eminence 820H speaker I put into it. When I decided to put my BJr' into a tweed box I sold the Bugera with the original speaker, bought another 820H and went for a 50's Bandmasre styled cab with the two 4ohm 8" speakers in series on top and the original 12" underneath. At first I just used them seperately either the 12" or the 2 x 8" and much preferred the deeper tone of the 2 x 8". I then got a Y cable and ran both sets together at low volume just to hear what all three sounded like and was immediately sold. By this time I had found out that I could buy a direct replacement Hammond output transformer with 4-8-16ohm connections. I sent away for that, installed it and connected to the 4ohm setting allowing me to connect all three speakers to one jack at 4ohms. I kid you not but I think I now have the best sounding BJr' going. Check out post 1370 in the following link https://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-blues-junior-club.166192/page-69

12. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Add a 1x12 cab, with a good speaker, it will greatly improve your sound.

YMMV

13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I always preferred the pro junior myself because I prefer 10’s myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.