1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gluing up body blanks.........

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by J Lacey, Jun 5, 2012.

1. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

How long do you usaully wait to take the clamps off after gluing up several pieces that make up a body blank? Thanks

Jeff

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

I usually let mine sit over night using Tite Bond original .

3. Bill Scheltema

Bill Scheltema Tele-Afflicted

I use titebond original too, and let it sit overnight as well.

Bill

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

60 to 90 minutes then I unclamp and clean up the glue squeeze out with a wet rag.

I use titebond original, the directions say to clamp an unstressed joint for 30 to 60 minutes.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

one hour in most cases assuming you are working with properly prepared joints.

6. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Thanks...........I used tite bond . Just wanted to make sure before I unclamp anything. I appreciate the info.

Jeff

7. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

mike, i think the directions say 30-60 minutes before unclamping, and not to stress the joint for 24 hours. i've planed a blank after 90 minutes with tightbond 1 with no ill effects.

8. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

+1

No need to leave it clamped up any longer. Doesn't hurt, but if you need the clamps for other tasks, you can unclamp after an hour and then let the blank rest over night. Truth be told, I've worked blanks after a few hours and never had an issue.

9. Bill Scheltema

Bill Scheltema Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys,

Since we are dealing with a thick piece of lumber the glue will not have set completely in an hour.
    I found when working in the furniture industry then you will get shrinkage from not letting the joint cure adequately and moving on th planing and thickness sanding,there was always a noticable joint line. Whats the hurry anyways. Glue it up before heading to bed then un-clamp in the morning.

Bill

10. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

This is what I do, with all types of glues. No need to rush / better safe than sorry.

But... I guess if I were going for fastest build in the TDPRI challenge its good to know I can plane my blank after 90 minutes. :lol:

11. henderson is go

henderson is go Tele-Holic

I wait a day and regardless of what glue I use (I've used titebond, fishglue, and hot hide glue)

12. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

to me the psychological advantage of knowing it was clamped all night
    out weighs any real advantage of leaving it clamped all night

13. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

I appreciate the input concerning how long to wait before taking the clamps off a blank. We've been taking care of some remodeling over at my Dad's place on and off since last fall. His house was built in 1982 and was in need of some repairs. I removed the exterior door from his sunroom and replaced it with a more modern unit . The old door was a stain grade solid fur or spruce frame with a full glass in it. I'd already tried to talk our local junk man into coming to pick it up but he never showed.

With my shop almost back up and running since I moved it from basement to out building I've been thinking about learning how to make some mdf templates and maybe route a body. Then I thought about that door frame and how I could glue it up for a couple of blanks to learn on. The wood looked decent and it was 1 3/4" thick. I removed the glass ,did some measuring, and began cutting. Only took a minute to realize the door wasn't solid but instead just veneered with spruce and everything inside was a puzzle of pieces and parts that were anything but pleasant to look at. Thought I'd go ahead and glue up the two blanks, build myself a body and neck template, and route 'em out anyway. I think all in all this will be a blessing rather than a disapointment. Be a good learning experience for me. Give me a chance to make templates and learn how to use 'em. Doesn't matter much at this point about the body wood.....you can build a tele from yard sticks, right?

Thanks again for the responses.......

Jeff

[​IMG]

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I clamp 'em up in the morning... fool around with something else till mid after noon.... cut 'em into blanks in the afternoon... a stack of 'em will be getting sanded for paint by the end of the next day,,

Ron Kirn

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.