1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gluing body blank properly

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by newuser1, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I have only once had to glue up a body blank and that was for the double neck. Everything else I have been able to buy wide enough blanks for a one piece body - they are almost always mahogany and I'm willing to pay a bit more for one piece of wood. I figure that is cheap compared to buying a jointer and all the other stuff I would need for multipiece bodies.

However I do glue up a lot of book matched tops (and backs of acoustic guitars). I make the seam with a plane and sand the mating edges with a carpenter's level with double stick sandpaper on it

IMG_4611.JPG

One thing that I did learn about book matched sets is to not sand or plane the show face any more than is necessary - the deeper you go into the wood the more you get away from the book match.

Depending on the thickness of the plates I have a couple of methods of doing the actual glue up.

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    crazydave911 and newuser1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.