1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Glendale “Cut Above” Bridge for GE Smith Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Guitars, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

I had a hard time finding any info or discussion about the Glendale “Cut Above” bridge, which is kind of a cross between a standard tele bridge and the half bridge.

I really like my GE Smith tele, but don’t care for the look of the half bridge. Originally I put on a standard”Rutter” bridge and liked that alot, but always felt since its a GE Smith, that it was missing that “half-bridge” character.

I recently came across the Glendale “Cut Above” blackguard bridge and decided to give it a try... $$$ . I can deffinetly recommend it to those desiring a half bridge / body mounted bridge pickup... I paired it with the Glendale “Twang” Intone cutting edge saddles.
    I don’t honestly notice any difference in sound/tone compared the the bridge mounted pickup. But to me it now not only “looks” right, but looks better than the half-bridge that this model is known for. (Though to me, the Neck is the real seller on this model.)

Attached Files:

fidopunk likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I will confess that the item I have bought from Dale, that I am happiest about, where a whole passel of those press in jack cups I got from him. He thought the cups were imperfect in some way and blew a large batch out cheap and they're just great - and were super affordable and I thank Dale for making those available. I guess you could say I saved enough money on those, to easily afford several of his other T bridges complete with saddles. And also I have some of these Chimemasters of both styles, but that's Strats. Not Teles.

Now, on Dale's conventional sized/dimensions plates, I think the reason some seem to have some magic in them relates to their being that shape and how they interact with the pickup being affixed to them (and then attached to the guitar body). If you try to compare the performance of these "half bridges" to more whole bridge plates where the pickup is still affixed to the floor of the rout, you've wiped out most of the reason for going premium in the first place. Or that's my view.

I'm not allergic at all to having the whole pickup rout showing. Just my sense of taste, I suppose. As long as the through holes are far apart and below the 4 screw mount locations, it is safe to assume I will find a use for it. So, yeah, I guess if I had one of those in the parts box, it would get installed to a guitar.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

JMHO, I like the regular half bridge better. Especially at that price.

But, if you're happy, I'm happy for you.:D

M2roadwarrior and nojazzhere like this.
  4. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

I like (and own some) Glendale gear - but I think it's overpriced.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It's insanely expensive for what it is. Same for Callaham stuff.

But there's a market damand for it, so yay capitali$m!

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

OOh that is one ugly bridge sorry.

Quality is there though.

7. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

I like it! Much better in terms of visual to me. And the Glendale stuff is well designed, feels great under your palm, is rock solid, sounds good and worth the money, IMO. Most Fender bridges, especially the saddles and screws, are pretty crappy.

Sconnie likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

I'd caution people not to use "Keef" Richards' antics where Glendale parts are involved. Those .048 plates are fragile and I've read enough sad stories here of a Glendale plate getting bent - and IMO one can't make it right once it gets "sprung". Beautiful, jewel like, but not "rock solid". I think the Fender parts are more robust - but more importantly if you mess one up, you just reach into your parts box and the replacement bits are cheap enough to just keep around as spares.

Dale's legendary "Chimemaster" Strat bridges, the brass block couldn't stand the abuse of a steel trem arm at all. It had to be re-engineered to have a Floyd style collar (Chimemaster II). Beautiful stuff - handle with care.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

The horrible fender hardware they ship on very expensive guitars surprises me, but hey people want stuff made on the original machines, despite the nasty edges and cheap plating. To each their own but I'm with you, the comfort and clean look from a properly made bridge is well worth the money when you are pretty much always touching it while you play.

I can't help but wonder if the people who are bending tele bridge plates of any kind are the same folks who seem to be breaking Gibson headstocks. Clumsy handling isn't to blame for that? o_O The thickness of the plate is the same as the Fender vintage style plates as far as I know, and at least Glendale offers cold-rolled stainless unlike Fender last I checked. Lots of factors here, I'm just surprised you've heard of it happening so much when I've never heard one instance of it, curious! :)

A brass trem block is indeed a dumb choice of material for someone who wants to abuse or even just use their trem arm, I'm with ya there. Yet once again Fender (and clearly the original Glendale design) loses to Callaham whose nylon bushing design to carry all the load is a vastly superior design to the Fender blocks. No floyd style collar required so the look is totally clean. And again they use real steel unlike Fender's cast zinc blocks in all but their most expensive strats.

Folks pay out the wazoo for their boutique pickups yet won't spring for a well-made and comfortable bridge (for the vintage style). It's always been a little silly to me :D but hey that's the free market!

shallbe likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

I think one guy dropped his. Another bought a used one - which we think had been damaged along the way. I could be mistaken but I think another guy innocently trapped a wire under his plate and began tightening down - but that may be an assumption on my part. All are things that a Bill Callaham plate would survive every time. Or a Marc Rutters.

I've got a Highway One Strat that is possessed. It has fallen, three times. Do I take responsibility? Of course. I'm suggesting that robust construction is a very good idea.

I actually prefer the sound of Dale's bridge, on many projects, over the Callaham. But I feel squeamish recommending them. The approach of buying ten of the Fender plates and using the best ones, seems like a safer and more economical approach. When I ruin one, I don't break into a sweat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.