Glen Campbell has Alzheimers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Jun 22, 2011.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

2. dickysofa

dickysofa TDPRI Member

Very sad, Glen inspired many of us to play guitar.

Mojo to him and his family.

3. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That sucks.

I think my own Dad may be in the early stages of it. Incredibly frustrating for me, cause I live 500 miles away from mom & dad... and they're both in denial about it. My wife and I have sat them down on a few occasions and had serious talks with them about it.. but they simply discount his symptoms as "just part of getting old".

Maybe with dad it is part of getting old... but I'd sure feel better if they'd at least go get him checked out. Maybe there is absolutely zero than can be done... I dunno... but no reason to not get a few expert opinions.

5. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Just read the story elsewhere. Very sad news indeed!

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There are drugs that can help mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. Try to get him to his doctor.

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My mom has it. She's still at home with my Dad but she's not really the person that raised me anymore and barely functional. It's not a good way to go out.

8. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

9. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

that is sad to hear. i think Alzheimers has GOT to be one of the most horrible maladies/diseases that afflict a human being. my mother is 93 and suffers with this. she is still for now able to remain in her own home, but ONLY because i am able to go over there 4-6 times or more a day to check on her and see to things that she might forget, such as meals, meds, etc. i don't dare leave her meds there or she would/might take them on time in the morning and see them 30 minutes later and think she still needs to take them and maybe do it again an hour later. it is much safer for me to bring them to her when needed.

her short term memory is non existant. i can say/talk/explain something to her about Dr. appointments, or following Dr's instructions and she will smile, nod her head and agree with everything i'm saying. if i mention it all again 5 minutes later, she is completely at a loss to what i am even talking about.

it is very very hard and emotionally draining/exhausting to watch someone you love "disappear" just a little more with each passing day.

best wishes and prayers out to Glen and his family.

10. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

I hope for the best. It can't be easy ... having known several people with Alzheimers.

This may sound a bit crazy, but there seems to be a very low incidence of Alzheimers with people that like to eat mustard or turmeric spice regularly. A study of this phenomenon has been underway, particularly with turmeric spice (used primarily in mustards and curries).

11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Sad.

I was just singing "Rhinestone Cowboy" with my garage band yesterday. ("Eww," you say.) Now, I know how I'm gonna intro the song at the pool party.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was working late last night and the old true grit came on and when the title song came on... I practically teared up.. I love Glen's voice (and have since I was a kid) we've been playing Wichita Lineman, rhinestone cowboy and Galveston for the last few months and last week one of the guys said, "Man, when you guys first wanted to play these Glen Campbell songs I was afraid we'd get laughed at and I hated the songs... I can't believe how beautiful they are now."

I'm so sorry he is ill. and feel so blessed for having the gift of his music.

13. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

That's awful. My dad has never been diagnosed, but there are enough signs of it that the doctors always ask. He has good days and bad, but it's pretty rough when your own dad asks you how your parents are...

Prayers and best wishes to Glenn and his family.

14. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

One of my first musical experiences was Glen in '65 or so, playing 12-string with a bassist and drummer at a shopping center in Whittier, California...
    He didn't sing a single song--all instrumentals, and just ripped...
    Remember it like it was yesterday...
    :cry:

15. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

That is such sad news. "Wichita Lineman" is one of my top 10 favorite songs...just beautiful.

My payers go out to Mr. Campbell.

16. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

So, So sad... He'd been one of my heros since I was about 10 and he had his TV show...

As said above, Alzhiemers is a brutal disease. I've been taking care of my mom for almost 2 years 24/7. I'd honestly rather get hit by a bus and be done with it all. If you start reading about it, the disease is an epidemic!

My prayers are with Glen and all the others touched by this illness.

17. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

Agree on this for sure. My iPod has versons by Glen, JT, REM, Johnny Cash. I'd prolly buy it even if Taylor Swift and John Mayer came out with a duet cover!

18. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Sorry to hear that about old Glen, loved his stuff

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glen sure inspired me when I was a pup.
    He made it all look so easy.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Also:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.