1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Glen Campbell: Best Player with Weirdest (worst?) Taste in Guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GoldDeluxe5E3, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

The flagpole is strategic- it is my escape route in the event that someone shows up who is more than 200 lbs and less than 300 lbs.

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  2. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

He was a masterful musician and great singer. I respect his uniqueness and don’t take issue w his choices of guitars.

Except Ovations. Those SUCK, and I will die on this hill.

3. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

He was such a good guitarist he was like, "Meh, I can play on any guitar, even these weird ones. Where's the bar?"

aadvark and GoldDeluxe5E3 like this.
  4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Those are fantastic guitars! Some of us find les pauls incredibly boring. I'd say he was ahead of his time.

CharlieO and RomanS like this.
  5. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

This thread gets me to wondering though.... pre-Hendrix, who was the major Strat player? Was there even a major Strat player from the time they were invented in the 50s to the time Hendrix made them extremely famous? How about the SG? I know Clapton played them a little. But pre-Angus, was there really a major SG player? That leads to the question....if not for one or two “major player” types that made individual models iconic, wouldn’t ALL guitar models be considered “oddball”? Glen Campbell, Johnny Ramone, and Kurt Cobain played Mosrites. Are they terrible guitars, or are they just not as iconic because the guys most known for playing them aren’t as “cool” as the guys most known for playing Strats or some other model?

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Mad Kiwi like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gotta agree!
    Glen played some off-the-beaten-path guitars.
    I was a huge fan when I was a pup.
    He played a nice, blonde ES335 for awhile, in the 1980s.

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The man and his music are the important issue here. What he plays to achieve his art isn't.

8. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Back in the last century I was fixated on Ovation guitars and finally got one.
    It was many years before I realized my fixation came from my first guitar hero: Glen Campbell.
    I realized this when I found my first guitar music book at the back of a closet: G-r-r-r-r-oovy Guitar Solos by Glen Campbell...with an Ovation on the cover.

C295F4B9-3AD9-4105-9243-4AD61C98821D.jpeg

SnidelyWhiplash and Telecaster88 like this.
  9. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

10. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

To answer your question about the Strat, there was Buddy Holly and Dick Dale.

MisterZ, aadvark, johnnylaw and 6 others like this.
  11. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

You must be kidding!
    Buddy Holly, Hank Marvin, Dick Dale, Eldon Shamblin, Ike Turner, Buddy Guy, the list of famous pre-Hendrix Strat players goes on and on...

12. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Both Joni Mitchell and Adrian Belew have played some amazing guitars over the years, but I never could get used to seeing either of them play a Parker Fly - especially Joni.

13. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

Hank Marvin

oops, somebody beat me to it

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    If you were given his talent if you were allowed to play only his guitars, would you take the deal?

15. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

With regard to the SG, Sister Rosetta Tharpe played a white Les Paul Custom (from before the name was changed to SG). She was enormously influential in her time.

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I gotta agree with the OP for everything BUT those Mosrites are freaking cool alright.

17. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Well you sent me down a weird youtube rabbit hole searching for "Glenn Campbell plays guitar synthesizer on Johnny Carson" because I could swear he had done that.

Turns out it was Jim Stafford, and I'm posting the video here because I spent half an hour figuring this out :confused:

18. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

Sister Rosetta is a lost American treasure, some would say. She deserves her place among the earliest founders of rock guitar. Don't believe me? Look in the above video starting at 1:20.

By the way, this one hell of a good choice of guitar!

effzee and RomanS like this.
  19. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I think you, and others, are missing the point. I never said nobody before Hendrix or Angus ever played a Strat or SG. And yeah, I’ll say that Buddy Holly- or maybe even Dick Dale- were the first famous players to be associated with the Strat. But it took a bonafide international “guitar god” to turn it into an iconic instrument. Same with the SG. Sorry, but 99.9% of humans on earth have never heard of Rosetta Tharpe. She didn’t turn the SG into an iconic guitar. Nor did Hank Marvin with the Strat. Those guitars had Hendrix and Angus to make them iconic. Just like Rickenbacker had the Beatles. Mosrite never had their own Hendrix or Angus. That doesn’t mean they’re crap guitars. That’s my point. And yes, I know that technically, Glen Campbell is as good or better than Hendrix, he’s just not viewed in the same light. All “iconic” guitars are iconic because a small handful of iconic guitarists made them iconic. There are other guitars that are just as good but not as iconic because they didn’t get the same icon treatment from world famous players, that’s the point.

20. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I love most if not all these guitars. Yeah, some are quirky or bizarre, but they’re also perfectly adequate if not excellent guitars. It seems like he might have preferred guitars with a little character/quirk to the same old thing everyone else plays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.