Glassy tone PU Setting

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Sydbarrett1975, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Sydbarrett1975

Sydbarrett1975 NEW MEMBER!

I just watch this guy and how i can get this glassy tone on my HW1?

BrazHog likes this.
  2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Looks like middle or neck/middle position and he's fiddling with the tone knob intermittently, so that's down a bit (maybe only down between 5-7 or so). Volume sounds all the way up, or maybe down to 9 to roll off the pick attacks just a tad. It also looks like he's removed the first tone control, so it's wired for master volume/master tone.

I don't see any amps, so he may have his most tasty virtual amp sim plug-ins on, probably with the treble cranked or bass cut down to counteract the middle/neck boom.

Also, his middle pickup looks decked and the neck pickup at a respectable distance away from the strings, which may contribute some 'glass' to the tone without having to cut the volume at all.

EDIT: I could also be totally wrong.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Zepfan and hemingway like this.
  3. Sydbarrett1975

Sydbarrett1975 NEW MEMBER!

I used fender mustang IV and old peavey combo.
    My peavey has some mid hump even mid at 8-9 o'clock , cant get that glassy with my old peavey.
    Any suggestion?

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If you really want glassy, just get a Tele. Neck + bridge, done.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Touch of compression... some digital processing DI?

But it sounds like a strat into a clean amp to me.

What is your rig?

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

That's very typical Strat tone. You should have no problem getting that tone, or similar, from the Mustang amp on the Blackface Twin or Blackface Deluxe amp model.

suthol likes this.
  7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Different amps all have a mid scoop somewhere, anywhere from ~450Hz on up to almost 1000Hz. If your Peavey has a high-ish mid-scoop, then it'll sound like a low-mid hump as the bass curve creeps up on the traditional Fender-ish scoop in the 450's. I'd get an EQ pedal and try to dial out any thing objectionable. If you do that, be careful that you don't dial out too much bass; the tone in your clip definitely has a bit of 'attitude' in the low end. Not a whole lot, but you need some of that to keep 'glass' from becoming 'thin and shrill'. A little goes a long way. What model is the Peavey?

With your Mustang, just twiddle through all the models until you find something that resembles that tone the most, then the rest is tweaking the tone controls and setting up your pickups to get the nuance. I'd also agree with @DougM and recommend a Twin or even a Super (black- or silver-face) setting, though the Deluxe may be a little too bassy. Give it a shot...

8. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You want the middle pickup very low. Almost flush with the pickguard. That will do the trick.

Zepfan likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That's why I've always liked the middle pickup on a Strat. Adjusted low with the tone backed almost off and volume maxed for that classic Blues Woman Tone.

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I never play on my middle pickup except combined with neck or bridge unless I'm switching pickups and accidentally land on the middle:>) The neck pickup is my go to for glassy tone with the tone full treble. Of course we haven't identified "glassy Tone" ???? I'm thinking "The Wind Cries Mary" as glassy tone. Platefire

11. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was thinking the Strat 'quack'. We are a bit apart then. upload_2020-10-1_21-23-8.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.