1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Glaser/McVay Bender question

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by livepulse, Feb 8, 2012.

1. livepulse

livepulse Tele-Meister

I'm thinking about building a bender into my Valley Arts Brent Mason but there are some obstacles for me.

First of all, i want a Glaser/McVay type since i don't want to have a guitar that's missing a lot of wood due to the routing of the other system. I already contacted McVay via email but i never heard from him. Besides, i really don't want to ship my guitar from The Netherlands to the USA really, too afraid something bad might happen.

So, i found someone on ebay who is selling a McVay bender in parts, which would be great for me, all i would need to do is find someone who has the guts to build it into my guitar, i am not in a position to have a workplace, nor do i have the proper equipment. But i would need instructions for the bender, how to build the thing into a guitar. Is there anyone here who can provide me instructions for that? Or who can point me into a direction where i might find someone/something useful for this?

TIA!!!

2. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I understand your concerns about not shipping to the USA(or anywhere overseas, as far as that goes), but I would not want someone "winging" this just with the "guts" to do it! Then, I would really be afraid "something bad might happen". Especially on the nice guitar you own.

This kind of job, in my opinion, requires some precision. A couple millimeters off one way or the other could be fatal to your axe. There isn't alot of room for learning mishaps.

I would prefer to take my chances shipping the guitar(or just the body) to a seasoned pro installer, than risk it at the hands of someone that could "funk up" my guitar, not knowing exactly what their doing.

Though, I would imagine there are people in Holland that do this kind of thing, as country music and B Bender Tele's are played all over the world. Please do much research before having someone start drilling holes into your beautiful guitar.

3. Freight Twang

Freight Twang Tele-Meister

Installing a Mcvay or Glaser bender is a MAJOR deal, when you drill for the rod and spring, which goes from the neck pocket to the button strap, if it is off a fraction of an inch, you will drill out through the back of the body. If you buy the McVay parts, contact Charlie, as he is going to do it right as he built the bender, don't worry about shipping to the US, as your asking for problems trying to have someone install this.....

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

If you contact Bill at B&W he can get you a kit at a very reasonable price that is close to a Glaser-type design, requires just a special drill bit (that he includes) and fairly rudimentary woodworking skills. He'll support you by email through the process as well - it'd be worth contacting him IMO (note I don't have one and have never played one, but have talked to Bill and players with his benders and it's the way I'd go if I needed an installation with no one nearby to help).

5. livepulse

livepulse Tele-Meister

Thanks for your replies. Installing is indeed a delicate matter and one of my main concerns is the building-part, i really don't want to have my guitar destroyed.

I will contact Bill, thanks for the tip! I have contacted Oigun, one of the members here, for the building-part. I think he's able to pull this off.

6. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I would take the neck off and send the body to Charlie Mcvay. His Benders are the best that I have ever seen. Email him again. He is busy with work.besides his.Benders, building racing motors, and more. But he will reply.

An expensive guitar, I wouldn't compromise just to find the first available installer. I've had that experience with a double Bender that I had made by a less expensive maker, then had to have Charlie Mcvay modify the G bender to work properly.

I have a tele that I built going to Charlie as soon as his next opening is available. I've owned two parsons Greenes, a bill bores double bender, and a couple of other Benders. But, the couple of local Mcvay Benders that I played blew them all away.

7. livepulse

livepulse Tele-Meister

Hey, thanks for your reply. I find that "the best" is subjective. Your best might not be my best, no offense. Also, i think that when you (try to) run a business it must be a policy to answer email you receive. Too busy is not a reason not to get back to inquiries. All the stories i read are very positive, don't get me wrong, but the waiting-time is imho too long. Please bear in mind that i do not contact the first available builder, Oigun is even willing to make a dummy first! And there are no bender installers in Europe as far as i know.

If i have to part with my guitar for more than a month, it's not worth the trouble or the money, it's not that i need my guitar but i find that such a period is just not acceptable, no matter how good the build/quality is. Then there's a money-thing too, shipping twice + the price for a McVay bender... not an ideal combination imho.

This is quite a decision for me, apart from a pickguard or pickup, i do not like my guitars to be tampered with. I do not want to take this lightly and try to inform myself as good as i possibly can, so all help is welcome!

8. Bender GUY

Bender GUY TDPRI Member

yes i would send it to someone who dose that stuff for a living i build and install glaser style benders my self and the spring whole has to be perfect and you have to have a drill jig bill bores helped me with building my jig but i would send it to Mcvay since it is his bender parts and he's the man!

9. Freight Twang

Freight Twang Tele-Meister

Wait time too long....welcome to the world of Glaser/McVay benders...lol. If you value your guitar, you'll get a hold of McVay, I have a Glaser double bender, and have installed my own Parsons bender, and if you let someone besides the person that invented it "practice", you will live to regret it. For what its worth, I have no dog in the hunt with McVay, but I waited 1 1/2 years to get my install done, which is ridiculous, but its right...Good luck!!:lol:

10. Chet Johnson

For something like this, I started contacting Charlie Mcvay far in advance last year to see when he may have an opening to do it. His estimated work load took it to sometime this part of year, coincidentally just when I wanted it to fall so that I can treat myself to a bender from my income tax return.

I am quite excited to have him do it. I am not seeking another copied saddle Bender. I want it done right, and by the actual inventor.

11. Charlie McVay

Charlie McVay TDPRI Member

McVay Bender

Hi Livepulse,

I haven't been on the bender forum for a while and pulled it up tonight and seen my name and thought, what kinda trouble am I in now ! I did get an email from you today and responded to it. I'm sorry, but I did not get any other emails from you.

With my work schedule I do not get on the computer every day. I do work a full time day job at a Machine shop and come home and go to work at my music store and do benders as well as racing motors. I would love to do benders for a living, but its to up and down, just like the music business, and I'm sure any bender maker will agree.

I am running way behind with benders because of 2 eye operations I had last year, but I have the best customers in the world for being patient and waiting on me to get back on tract and I appreciate there patience.

This bender forum is the best in the world and has a wealth of information and all the bender makers on this forum are great at what they do and will help you in any way they can.

Unfortunately with my schedule, I can not get a bender out in a month. Brad P. has waited longer than that. My bender is about quality and not quantity and don't blame you for not wanting to wait.

As I said in my email, my bender is very complicated to install without my jigs and fixtures. Just for your information, the McVay bender kit on ebay is missing parts along with the body inserts and stops to make the bender work correctly in the right location. Don't waist your money on that.

Sincerely, Charlie McVay

12. Charlie McVay

Charlie McVay TDPRI Member

McVay Bender

Hey Chet,
    I just read your post because I'm so slow at posting and want to thank all you guys for your nice words. I do want to clarify and will not take credit for the inventor of the saddle bender. Joe Glaser is the 1st inventor of the saddle bender. Mine is a completely different version inside but looks simular from the outside to the eye. Joe Glaser is a good guy and gets all the credit for that, not me.
    Thanks, Charlie

13. livepulse

livepulse Tele-Meister

Hi Charlie, Thank you so much for getting in touch with me, i really appreciate it.
    You're not in trouble, that's not what i ment really. It's not that i want to "attack" you but in my view it would be fair to respond to email within a reasonable period. That's all. I understand completely now what your situation is, apologies if i might have come on too strong, that was not my intention.
    By now i have already send another mail to you so thank you for getting in touch with me. For me it's not about the waiting, i have no problem waiting but it's the feeling that my guitar is on the other side of the world instead of a few hour drive away. And not for a week or a month but quite a longer time.
    With a schedule as yours i can understand that it's hard to put out more that what you do now. I don't blame you one bit for that!

And as you stated, quality before quantity! And quality is what i'm looking for. Thanks for your time to respond.

14. Chet Johnson

I posted this while late and tired. Ha ha. I am aware of Joe Glaser, but have also heard of the inside mechanics between a Glaser and Mcvay being radically different. Similar on the outside and that's it.

I should've worded more like the source, or not from any bender copy maker. Anyway, whenever Charlie's workload can open, I am super excited to drop off my tele and wait however long it takes.

15. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

I know that this may be a different direction than you want to go, but if you don't want to ship your guitar to the states and before I would EVER attempt to do this installation myself or have someone inexperienced do it, I would really consider a HIPSHOT string bender system like Will Ray uses. They work great and takes about an hour to install and can also be removed. The installation is easy and you can do it yourself.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=17

Good luck on your decision.

:)

16. BoyNashville

BoyNashville TDPRI Member

Don't do it yourself, call Joe Glaser 615-298-1139

17. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Why not order a Hipshot B-Bender? It is easy to install and it it completely reversible.

18. livepulse

livepulse Tele-Meister

That is exactly what i have done. After i mailed Charley again and not received an answer (again) i decided to go with a Hipshot. I'm sure Charlie is quite busy, as he explained in his post, so i'm comfortable with that. Just see if a Hipshot is the way to go. Also scored a nice cheap new bridge with toploader holes predrilled so there's no need for an expensive Hipshot-bridge.

Waiting is the hard part... i also read a thread about moving the B-string to the G-string position, i might try that out as well.

Thanks for the comments!

19. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.