1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Glarry Thinline Project - wiring, ground hum issues and then no volume?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by GrooveVoyager1, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could go with either. Typical would be a 250k V pot. T pot doesn't matter much. If you like a little more high-end, go with the 500k V pot.

One issue you may have with an American size plate is the pots/switch sometimes hit the bottom of the cavity. You may need to do a bit of light carpentry for clearance. But typically worth it for the upgraded components.

GrooveVoyager1 likes this.
  2. GrooveVoyager1

GrooveVoyager1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for that info! I inspected the inner dimensions of the cavity and the 3 way on the upgrades is deeper than the import 3 way. A little wood routing may be worth it, unless I go through the back of the guitar body lol.
    I'm not a shredder, so a 250k/250k may do the trick as my style is jazzy, funk, soul, and ambient delay/modulations. I believe the stock pots on the Glarry are 250k, I can test when I get my meter.
    Before the hum issues the new pups were a major improvement and a pup combination that none of my other guitars have, so I'm hoping I resolve the existing control plate wiring issues till I find a pre wired control plate setup that matches nicely with my pups.
    Maybe even play a few guitars with different pup setups at the music store and see if I like the tone? Thanks again, great help.

Boreas likes this.
  3. GrooveVoyager1

I feel the same way about my replacement of the output jack as the tone from the replacement pups was very nice, even with the stock pots. But the jack was warbly and couldn't be repaired and had to be replace. A member from the squire talk forum posted a video on partial teardown. I've been following his posts and realized that I had viewed the youtube video a while ago. I watched the video again and his control plate wiring looks correct - Black ground/red hot. I can't trace all the wiring on the video but he plays the Glarry at the end and there's no ground issues presenting.
    Here's the video from the squire talk subscriber and here's a photo of the wiring before pics on my Glarry.
    I also included the original output jack wiring from the factory(note piece of tape on red wire used as ground by Glarry)
    Take care and I'll keep you posted if I resolve the ground issue or end up getting an upgraded control plate.

Attached Files:

Urshurak776 likes this.
  4. Boreas

If you think you are going to go with a custom harness, I think what I would do at this point is completely rewire the plate you have - just for experience. Get some solder wick, good 60/40 lead solder, and some white, black, and possibly red 22 ga hookup wire and have at it. Get the proper wiring diagram for your pups, remove all the old wires and as much old solder as possible, and rewire it. Take your time, keep the iron tip clean and tinned, tin your wires and lugs if they aren't already, and solder away. Take pix if you want of your progress. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two if you have all the materials ready to go.

Once it tests out OK, then you can use it until your new one comes in. You can use the old one to test pot values and cap values and different wiring schemes. Very useful. And you will have a spare - not to mention newfound experience!

5. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Did you ever just take a jumper wire from the control plate to the top of the bridge someplace and then see if it works? This is a simple way to see if grounding the bridge would solve your problem.

6. GrooveVoyager1

No I haven't, but that is a great idea and a quick test till I get my meter. I search around for a spare cable and try. Thanks!

7. GrooveVoyager1

After looking at my solder job and the factory soldering and wiring, and the cost and size of the upgraded pre-wired plates I have considered this. I have most of the materials except the 22ga braided wire, which I can get from amazon at a reasonable cost, as a matter of fact, an order is in my cart lol.
    Will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

Most auto parts stores or hardware stores should have 22 ga wire if you are in a hurry.

I bought a "set" of hookup wires from Ammyzon that had about 6 colors of wire. Quite cheap. I use cloth, pre-tinned wire in most of my builds though. Doesn't work any better, just looks cool!

9. GrooveVoyager1

If I replace wiring, this is what I'm considering: Gavitt Guitar Wire Cloth-covered Vintage-style Pushback - 22awg 7-strand Tinned

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

11. GrooveVoyager1

I have some rca connectors(back and red) that I could snip and trim and some spare pedal power cables that have been cut and spliced that I'm not using anymore. can any of those be used for a jump cable if I trim the ends?
    Can they be used as the wiring to the output jack from the volume pot and ground to bridge for a temp fix as the current output wires are getting short?

Boreas likes this.
  12. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Yes, as long as it’s just regular wire. I like to use old speaker wire for my out put jacks. I like that it’s two wires connected. I just split both ends apart a little. Works great.
    All you need to jump from the bridge to control plate is anything metal. Lay a long screwdriver across it would be enough. As long as there is something metal connecting the two. Doesn’t need to be soldered. Just needs to be touching.

13. Boreas

Soitanly!! One consideration would be shielding the output wires to your jack. Any wire carrying a signal is subject to interference/noise. I sometimes use old-style shielded wire that has a hot core, and the outer wrap (ground) is metal. Many Gibsons use this wire. But your RCA cables may be shielded. If not, just use the cloth cable you have coming and TWIST the output portion. It is also an acceptable way to reduce noise - often employed in amplifier wiring.

14. GrooveVoyager1

Thanks, I happen to have some new speaker wire that I was going to use for my vintage stereo setup. I've got extra so that will work out great. I'll keep you posted and I should be getting my meter today so I can fully tests circuits too.

15. GrooveVoyager1

Appreciate the insightful info. Will update as soon as I'm able.

Danb541 likes this.
  16. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Danb541 and GrooveVoyager1 like this.
  17. GrooveVoyager1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.