1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Glarry Thinline Project - Pickup wiring question?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GrooveVoyager1, Apr 8, 2021.

1. GrooveVoyager1

GrooveVoyager1 TDPRI Member

Hey all, hope everyone's doing ok. I purchased a Glarry thinline for a project a few weeks ago and wrapped up this past week.

I took before and after pics and I'm inspecting the connections to pots and noticed that most diagrams show the black ground coming from volume pot may be missing?
    There is a red wire with a tape on it but it appears to be leading to output jack.

I sure would appreciate it if any of you folks that are familiar with pick up control plate wiring would take a look and see what you make of it. It's my first project, so forgive the soldering job and any other observations would be appreciated.

Also, I meter tested the connections and both pups values checked out ok.
    Before securing the plate I plugged in and noticed a hum that was not there prior to pup swap.
    I inspected the wiring and noticed the HB neck wires had a small split and ground wires were frayed and exposed. I unsoldered, trimmed, and after tipping wires re-soldered and tested again.
    Noise virtually disappeared, even when OD stacked.

I plugged in again yesterday and hum noise may be back but only during OD effects (TS-9 and SD-1), so I may have to open control plate and inspect again for loose connections. I did set my amp/effects levels to accommodate the new pups so I may have to fine tune.

Anyway, here's a few pics, before and after. Original HB Neck has the yellow cable.
    New HB Neck pup has the Orange wire. Thanks in advance for any assistance and good health to all.

Attached Files:

2. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You can quiet up the guitar with a shielded cable from the volume pot to the jack (looks like the red-taped and black are running to the jack).

One of the early mods I do on Teles is add a 4-way switch (oak-grigsby) to get the series/humbucker option from two single coils. You've already added a humbucking pickup to get that.

The switch/jack/pots are the typical inexpensive import versions. They will be fine but will wear out fast if you regularly gig with the guitar. These days I often install all the MIA-branded control parts (measuring actual values and selecting them to push around the guitar tone) and leave the stock pickups. It's a $20 mod instead of a $200 mod.

Glarry has a very interesting business model they are being successful with -- taking buyer costs out of the sales channel and shipping while building guitars as good as Squier/Epiphone/etc.

GrooveVoyager1 likes this.
  3. GrooveVoyager1

GrooveVoyager1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for that good info! I'm learning a lot on this my first project.
    Some of the tele diagrams and how to vids show a black ground coming from the volume pot and affixed to the bridge. I suspect since it's an HB the separate ground isn't needed?
    I probably should have shielded before attaching the but no problem as I can open it up again.
    Any tips on shielding materials? I've seen conductive paint, or aluminum or copper tape.
    Also, any sources for the replacement of import parts with MIA?
    Thanks again for the reply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.