Glarry GST Strat type delivered for $65

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by user34603, Feb 18, 2020.

1. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

I got one as an experiment to check into a good amp (Supro Blues King that competes w. Fender Blues Junior). Glarry has China guitars and delivers them in a few days for VERY cheap. They have value is a couple of ways... 1) If you can set up a guitar or are learning how, these are nearly playable as received. So you can improve skills on cheap parts and see/hear what mediocre setup is like and then correct it. 2) These are $65 new, delivered, so you can get most or more than your money back on a re-sell. 3) Glarry's $65 Strat has surprisingly good pickups and maybe the best I ever heard on a budget Strat.

The plastic nut has slots that need to be deepened a bit and lubricated. I got a set of cheap steel nut slot files and use ChapStick as the lube for the slots (like grease and less mess) after the slots are deepened. Saddles can take a lot of improvement by replacing all the 10mm screws with 8mm. Letting the saddles down to nearly parallel to the top helps the tone stability and sound a lot.

Stock tuning machines are 'good enough' if you take off the knobs and remove the white washer and split steel ring and the end screw. Use a SMALL Phillips screwdriver.
    Wipe clean and VERY lightly lube with gun lubricant/cleaner. I put 1 drop into the well of the tuner body through the shaft area. Snug the knobs on last just enough to allow them to turn freely. A plastic winder will help distribute the lubricant well and then wipe the outside of the tuners dry of greasiness.
    Pickups are pretty darn nice into a good amp on a 'clean' setting. They need to be raised a little as you listen and back off the height as they get too loud/harsh. Go for the 'glassy' Strat sound. The body and neck are very light so all the screw holes need to have light yellow glue wiped inside the walls with a toothpick (reinforces the strength). I lubricate the jack barrel and springy tab lightly to let a plug insert/remove easier. The all-maple neck is somewhat fat and I sanded it lightly with 320 grit paper. I removed the 'Glarry' stamp on the headstock... just blow off the dust as you sand lightly... Then 1 light coat all over of Tung Oil wiped on with a paper towel. Overnight it will be absorbed. I keep 1/2 a damp sponge in the case to keep the guitar humidified.
    At $150, it would be a pretty good Strat and i block of the tremolo block with a 15mm block to keep the bridge bottom parallel to the top. At $65 delivered and needing very ordinary fret end smoothing (get a 3-corner fret end file and work slowly...)... it is a real deal. Get it for practice on setups and then sell it off to get maybe $80-90 locally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.