Glad it's not "just me" (Magic Sam's Boogie)

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Non-musicians can’t appreciate how much work it can take just to work out a tune, let alone the time it takes to nail it again and again once you’ve worked it out.

I’m currently working on a solo instrumental version of Strawberry Fields Forever. Feels like trying to push a length of string uphill!

elihu

Poster Extraordinaire
The late, great Nick Curran played it really well…damn close to Sam’s rendition.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
For the record, the name of this tune is "Lookin' Good". :cool: Not sure where "Sam's Boogie" came from. It's weird because one would assume that the people posting these videos on YouTube are fans and would know that. Not exactly cryptic info...it's Track 9 on "West Side Soul". :)

EllroyJames

Poster Extraordinaire
For the record, the name of this tune is "Lookin' Good". :cool: Not sure where "Sam's Boogie" came from. It's weird because one would assume that the people posting these videos on YouTube are fans and would know that. Not exactly cryptic info...it's Track 9 on "West Side Soul". :)

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Also Sam himself played this song different ways at different times. This guy has a great take on a different version, from the studio album

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
The Fabulous Thunderbirds do a GREAT live version of “Feelin’ Good” in the rarities/compilation disc “Different Tacos”…it’s from the Jimmie Vaughan era, and it absolutely rocks.

(They also do a good, but much more subdued studio version on the “Walk That Walk, Talk That Talk” album, with Duke Robillard and Kid Bangham…not bad, but kinda vanilla compared to the live JV version).

JRapp

Tele-Holic
I heard this many years ago and have learned it. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play. That live clip from Europe with Earl Hooker's guitar is a little bit faster than I can manage though.

Rusty Spanner

Tele-Meister
The live version of this is my favourite recorded piece of guitar playing.
Ever.

When I perfect the time machine I'm working on, I'm going to have a few beers, a couple of smokes, buy a nice suit and go and dance my arse off to this.....
And buy Sam a drink afterwards, obviously.

Anyone else introduced to Magic Sam by the Blues Brothers film? I remember going to Decoy Records in Manchester with a huge list of bands and artists referenced in the film and blowing a month's wages on some wonderful albums.......