Giving up the car

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would pick a random person that does something selfless or nice for others or just a friendly good person you know and give it to them. I'm sure if you think hard on it there must be someone you know who could use and appreciate a free car. If there is someone local you might even get a few free rides some place from time to time.

I would sit in the back and hand them a chauffers hat to wear as they drive.:D

Vibrolux59 and bender66 like this.
  2. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

I'm with "glenlivet" either donate to a shelter that aids abused women or one of your local veterans organizations.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It could well be that one community has some adept people, who get decent value for donated cars, but I have seen other charities where they get next to nothing out of the transaction. It is like Avocado Toast or something. Everyone thinks they've Saved the Earth, when the pickings end up being kinda pathetic. The "pros" just roll over on these hapless amateur do gooders.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

If you call your local wrecking yard, they will come pick it up and give you something for it. Then you could just donate to your favorite charity and not worry about all the paperwork. I tried the karrs for kids thing a few years ago and had an unsatisfactory experience... I did donate a pickup to a guy who runs a camp for a church and that was awesome, but I knew the guy, the truck is still running (i've worked on it a couple of times with him since) and still working....

I commend you for not driving and knowing your limits. We just went through that with my mother in law and it was awful... so, good job!

electrichead and Dan German like this.
  5. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Meister

If the car has been sitting 2 years without being started I think you might have to do a bit of work to even get it running.Gasoline does not age very well.
    I would go with GB idea and sell it to a junkyard and donate the money..

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The estimated "donation value" of my 1991 Mercedes 190E (ignition problem + need for a newer car for my wife), but was my daily up until then, was $75-100 CDN. The BCSPCA came out waaay ahead after I sold it.

7. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

When my van needed a new brake line and I was done putting money into keeping it on the road, I donated it to the Make-a-Wish Foundation that makes sick children's dreams a reality. Make-a-Wish of course just auctions off the car, but the proceeds go to a wonderful cause.

8. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear about the health problems.

As for the car, your local public radio station will probably take it (if I recall there are two in Iowa City?), as would many other charities. Give to some org you're already familiar with, or check out the charity. For example, the 1-877 number you might have heard on TV is affiliated with a particular religious organization. You can't tell that from the ad. Their affiliation might or might not encourage you to give to them, but if they thought it would, the ad would probably mention it.

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Recognizing your own limitations and making the decision to stop driving must be a tough one to face up to with courage and honesty. It is truly a gift to public safety, and is even more admirable than your intention of gifting the Corolla. I salute you, and hope when the time comes for me, I can be as much of a man as you are. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.