Giving up the car

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Jan 22, 2020.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

We have donated our old card to our church and the last one to our city’s charitable foundation. They will pick up the car in any condition.

You are very kind and generous to donate your car.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

uriah1 likes this.
  3. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

Very generous. I would offer to help if you werent so far across country.

WAMU Bluegrass Country.org is always announcing they will pick up donated cars in support of their non-profit operation. Not sure if that covers nation wide however. Link is on the website as I recall.

And yes, the 89- mid-90s Corolla is one of the best basic cars ever produced IMO. I have had a few and worked on hundreds.

Edit: veterans organization is a desirable choice I reckon!

uriah1 likes this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I can't help you with the donation but many churches would love to have that opportunity. Our church in OK would buy decent vehicles and a group of guys would fix them up and give them to the needy.

And for what its worth, a Corolla has the bullet proof 1.6 liter Toyota engine. The same engine they used for years. My FIL had one that turned 300K and my daughter's Scion XB has the same motor and she is at 200k+ and it doesn't smoke at start up... great engines.

If I was close I would come and get it!

5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

My friend and next door neighbors passed away a couple of years ago. I mentioned to his wife that when the time comes to decide what to do with his car that we would be interested in buying it
    The car was sitting in the driveway with a dead battery and weeds beginning to grow around it
    She told us that her husband would be glad for us to have it and she gave it to us
    Our son was still in college at the time and was thankful to have it
    Several years later he has graduated and has a very good job but still drives that Oldsmobile
    Sometimes things work out well for everyone involved

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Go find the fair market value and that car is a tax write off for you if you donate it to a charity.

7. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yes: I donated my old(ish) Volvo to KPCC in Los Angeles.

8. kLyon

Yes: I donated my old(ish) Volvo to KPCC in Los Angeles. It was a painless process, and, with any luck, will do some good.

uriah1 likes this.
  9. kLyon

Yes: I donated my old(ish) Volvo to KPCC in Los Angeles. It was a painless process, and, with any luck, will do some good.

10. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Make sure you get the title changed. My mom donated hers and whoever got the car got a couple tickets on the tollway and some parking tickets and they came to her. She thought the charity would get title, but nope.... so here she is fighting tickets.

11. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

My brother in law used to buy cars at auction, frequently cars donated to charity.
    This was in Houston and there were lots of donated cars sold. Everything from Rolls to non-running to be sold for scrap value.
    Its an excellent place to get a good car for cheap if you know what you are doing.
    He moved away from cars because so many people were also buying up donated cars.
    My BIL now buys/sells machine tools and equipment at auction and does much better.

Mark

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

P, I thought a Studebaker Hawk was cool, when I was age three, going on four.

One of my Dad's work buddies had one, and right away I was offering to wash the car for the guy. I had it bad, almost from the cradle.

++

Larry, I want to commend you on your decision to quit driving. Your decision making is impeccable. Trying to drive a car, with badly functioning legs and feet, is asking for trouble and I know my girlfriend's Dad was so resistant to turning in his license (diabetic neuropathy). And now the guy has been gone almost 13 years, and we still call that S-10 pickup "WP's truck" to this day.

Yeah, I washed that one a lot of times, also.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    bender66, Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  13. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Donate it to a local golf driving range and after a little modifying drive it on the range on a Saturday afternoon.

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If it is possible to donate it directly to or through an organization, that is best. The programs where they pick up a car and give you a receipt are often done by a for-profit third party. I recently planned to do that, but the estimated value as a donation was so low that I chose to sell it (a PITA) and donate cash to the charity. It ended up being more for them, even when I kept half for the headache of selling it.

telemnemonics and P Thought like this.
  15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Give it to TDPRI for next years raffle :p

Milspec likes this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dead battery and a flat....but how is the tolex and how old are the tubes?

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Great ideas. I hadn't known there were so many places to donate. Thinking cap time.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah a lot of folks are hard up for a car and might not benefit from it given to a charity, but it might not be easy to find the right person on your own.
    Single Moms are a good place to start.
    People living in homeless shelters might be a tough call, unless there are social workers there who can direct you to the individual who will really benefit. Not everyone who's homeless gets all better just from a free car.
    Many destitute people are hooked on drugs and would just sell it to buy more, this might sound heartless but I was one of those people and handing me a car would have been the wrong solution to my problems.

I'd bet there are social workers who know exactly who needs and could register and insure a free car.
    Not sure they can share the info with you but they might arrange the gifting.
    Maybe also a battered women's shelter could see someone who can't make the transition to independence because they're trapped without transportation.

The whole charity system has waste even as it is beneficial, and where a 23yo car might bring a charity $500, it might bring a battered or single mom freedom and independence.

P Thought likes this.
  19. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

always sad that someone losses his/her freedom to go wherever one needs to go.
    i hope you live in a place that has all the things you need nearby.

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'll take it off your hands when I'm back in Muscatine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.