1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Giving up on Tube-amps and pedals....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by adamlovesgin, Jun 16, 2016.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Is the reasoning of going to a SS amp the weight, or its it the sound? I have no problem using a SS amp no matter what the weight if it had the rich sound I've heard all my life via tube amps. I also don't mind an extra 10+ lbs a tube amp might weigh over a SS amp either. I'm not that old yet (really I am, but never admitting it) and what's wrong with a little more weight to build those muscles? I think we're turning into a lazy group more and more each day.

I play the amp I like purely for me and no one else. Not the bass player, the other guitarist, the drummer, those listening, etc. It's for ME and I'm selfish that way I guess. Can others hear it, don't know or care really, it's all about me this time. Everything else is about others, but I'm sticking to this one's for me. Besides the tone/sound, they look and smell way cooler too!

If you use a SS amp or run directly into a PA with a front end modeler pedal, that's cool... lots and lots of folks do it. I must say there was a very big, well known band in my area that ran directly into the PA, no on stage amps at all, other than the monitors. They put on a great show and the lead guitarist/vocalist was lighting on stage. The girls loved it... I would say with the size of their following, most didn't even listen very closely to the sound they were putting out. The first time I heard them I couldn't even see the stage. I commented to the guy I was with, boy they sure sound sterile, stating it's probably because we were standing on the side of the stage. We walked around to the front, same sound (very ugly to me) and then I saw it, no amps, all straight into the PA with modelling pedals on the floor. Not for me and most would be hard pressed to even notice or listen of it. But I do and that's what's its all about right? ; ) hehehehe

cdwillis and Hiker like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I went from using BF Fender amps all my life to a pedal board with an Ethos Preamp and power amps through 2 tiny 112 cabs. It wasnt for ease of loading its because it sounds killer. But, so do BF Fenders.... carrying amps is the price of hearing them...

Hammerdog likes this.
  3. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My only thought on your post is that at least you know exactly what you want to do (and don't want to do).

That's infinitely more important than the gear IMO.

Good for you.

SolidSteak likes this.
  4. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

You'll adapt to the gear you're using and still sound like you.

I love valve amps for the interaction, they don't just make your signal louder, they do wonderful (and sometimes weird) things with it. And turned up loud they are something else.
    I am very tempted by the Kemper Profiling amp. Could ditch a lot of outboard using one of those, and they copy anything you want - even FX pedals ! I thought I could model - sorry 'profile' - my AC30HW and then sell it to fund a Kemper.
    But I know I'll miss that interaction.
    One of the main reasons to ditch the valves is they're so environmentally unsound ! All that power and heat, I wouldn't be surprised if they're outlawed in 10 years time :)

I bet Hendrix would have used a modelling amp if he could...

cdwillis likes this.
  5. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Heck even if you play only at home- there is some magic to the cranked tube amp overdriven just before it starts to hurt the ears. I haven't found that in a solid state amp or even a hybrid musicman amp

6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I understand being tired of playing cover songs at clubs.

I did that 40-45 years ago 6-7 nights a week. That constituted my job at the time.
    When I went to playing part-time, playing covers and trying to cop somebody else's tone got boring and it was a lot less hard to give it all up. Bye bye, tube amps, big stage equipment and pedals.

I got back to playing again--a few concerts a year and began to accumulate more gear than I had when music was my job. I also started playing low volume events for the patients at a local hospital and got back into acoustic music. Even though I get paid for the concerts it doesn't cover all the rehearsing and woodshedding I have to do for each one. The hospital stuff and acoustic stuff I do for the sheer joy of playing.

I certainly don't need all the stuff I've gathered, but while it still fits my lifestyle and living situation I'll keep it.

So keep what suits you in your musical ventures. And think outside the box--you may find yourself having more fun.

adamlovesgin likes this.
  7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't give up on anything just yet - what if you end up writing an album worth of songs that would sound great through a twin and a good fuzz pedal? Or a Digitech Whammy? Or guitar midi? You could always come back to it.

I just had this discussion with a friend of mine the other day after playing some music together: Keith Richards supposedly once suggested great songs can be stripped down to just a singer and an acoustic guitar and a ton of feeling (or maybe he just meant blues songs; I can't remember.) While I think there's a great deal of truth in that, there are also a ton of songs where the sound (sometimes indeed even the equipment or effects used) is what make the song what it is. It probably depends on the song. At least that's the justification I use to avoid selling off any gear ;)

I think that's a great idea to go simple for a while, especially while writing original music. Don't throw out all of your art supplies though!

cdwillis and adamlovesgin like this.
  8. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

I just recently bought a Line 6 Helix.... and have been a tube amp snob for many years. I like it so much I sold my 68 Deluxe Reverb RI. So now my amp and pedals are the size of my pedal board....more sounds....more effects. And like others have asked....can the audience tell the difference? No way!

J5

adamlovesgin likes this.
  9. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I didn't start playing or continue playing caring if the audience could tell what I was plugged into.(them liking it is a bonus) It's about the feeling I got/get hearing and playing the guitar.

Moddlers/solid state amps are cool but you'll never get the sensitivity and sound like you get facing a tube amp, moving a foot or so each way while wigglin' a string untill it's about to spit that grease in your face! But that's just me.....

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a Helix, a Kemper, a Mustang III V2, and a bunch of tube amps (mostly Mesa/Boogie, but also a DRRI). Out of the whole stockpile, the Helix and Kemper are the most fun and get the most attention. I currently have the Kemper inserted in a loop in the Helix, and use the Kemper for amp profiles and the Helix for its effects and controlling everything.

Norris Vulcan and jammers5 like this.
  11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I started playing again about 11 years ago and, short of one gig for a friend, have played nobody's music but mine. Very gratifying and the only tone you need is your own.

12. Frodebro

The Kemper reacts exactly like a tube amp. Run it through a guitar cab and you won't be able to tell the difference (I speak from experience). In fact, you can tweak the parameters to make profiles MORE touch sensitive and dynamic than the tube amps that were profiled.

13. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes, it would be great to plug into the DI box/PA with a multi-effects pedal and start playing. There are ways to simplify, or lighten the load.

14. Frodebro

This is actually becoming more and more common with touring bands. Kemper and the Fractal Axe-FX are the main two right now, but Helix may be on its way to joining the ranks as well (it's only been out for less than a year).

Hiker likes this.
  15. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

AX8 + powered wedge. Done. With a backpack to carry the Ax8 you can carry the rig in all in one trip. Direct into the PA/FOH, and the wedge for sound on stage as needed.

And the Komet 60 sim with a tele is something special; HP Tweed sim sounds fantastic too. That's all you need. :p Or if you need more, I guess another 120+ amps for that wreck, dumble, marshall experience.

Loved my 120lb EVM12L loaded 4x12, but couldn't carry it alone so it was a barrier. Love the new light speakers. My powered wedge weighs only 33lbs, though I need two to hang with loud drummers and then unloading the rig takes a trip and a half.

16. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Gone through a lot of SS/ Digital gear in the last couple of years- now mostly all gone, and I still lug my Twin Reverb around to gigs..in my 60s!

17. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

More for me! Yay!

18. saetia

saetia Tele-Meister

Between the nature of the scene I'm involved in and the sort of venues I'm playing in as a result of said scene, I don't think I'll ever not have the need to have something with way more power than is necessary.

That being said... hauling around all of this gear is probably going to give me onset spinal problems before I turn 20. It's cool as hell, though.

19. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

I'm not going modelling for the range of sounds, I'll work with it to get one nice OD sound, one clean, then boost just like a valve amp but with a whole lot less hassle

20. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Absolutely, the helix is too much for me though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.