1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Giving up electric. Going back to nylon string

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by paulblackford, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I sure don't blame ya; nylon string can be a lotta fun!

I really enjoy playing my Godin multiac.

paulblackford likes this.
  2. Medeltids

Medeltids TDPRI Member

Buy a flute. They’re beautiful instruments.

And keep at least one electric. I’ve done the “purge” more than once. Oddly enough 40+ years later I still have my first guitar, a crappy but lovable Yamaha classical.

3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Keep them. Buy the nylon string classical. Enjoy. Reassess. I am currently going back to my beginnings also, looking for a nylon string. I had a beautiful Luis Sevillano but in an odd accident broke the head stock. I had it for almost 30 years. Broke my heart. I want another one because it was very soothing to play a soft hearted guitar. Good luck in your search. After you get the nylon string then decide whether to change your equipment. JMHO

PhredE, paulblackford and aadvark like this.
  4. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

What would Willie do?

paulblackford and P Bill like this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I love my little 3/4 nylon string, it's great for noodling around on.... everyone should have one..:)

DSCN3443.JPG

6. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

I play a nylon a lot. Bequeathed to me years ago by a friend. I love it - I don't really have a steel string at this point.

But: think twice before offloading everything. Guitars are so expensive to re-buy right now. Remember: present bias is strong in humans...

PhredE and paulblackford like this.
  7. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I love the nylon string. And I also agree with you that there's something appealing about just the practice of making music. Trying to speak musically. Not a show, or a performance, or a gig with all the attendant complication of forming a band and managing egos and booking gigs and hauling gear. Buying more crap that doesn't make your music any better. The nylon string has a purity to it and it's not loud but it's very expressive.

There's a lot to love about the ideal of "folk music," the music people just played for themselves. People have made music for thousands of years, long before records or celebrity or hype or Sweetwater.com. Sometimes they did it for ceremonies or celebrations: sometimes to tell stories, sometimes just in dialogue with themselves

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

And in about six months or so..........

;)

classical floyd rose.jpg

9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve been playing more and more acoustic over the past year or so. Steel string, though, not nylon. Most of the electric playing I’ve been doing is when I record something, I may drop in a lead in or sometimes a second, funkier rhythm track. I pretty much always start with a basic track of playing the song on acoustic and “singing”, such as it is, and then I might add a second vocal track and add a guitar track or two. Sometimes I play the lead with acoustic also - just depends on the tune. But ai really rarely seem to just pick up the electric to just play these days. That said, I have one acoustic and two electrics, and don’t see getting rid of anything. May buy another acoustic someday if GAS ever gets the better of me, but I love the one I have and can’t imagine what else I’d do with another.

-Ray

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  10. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Embrace the nylon!

But, if I were you, I'd keep an electric and amp too. I'm not a fan of burning my bridges, if only because once something's gone, I'm more likely to remember it as better than it really was and pine for it. Nice to have a solid reference to go back to from time to time and confirm your decision.

I'm actually travelling in the opposite direction. Played mostly classical, but came to electric within the last few years. I enjoy the contrast and the new learning curve, and I haven't had the classical guitar out of its case in several months - but the day will come and there's no way I'd be without it.

11. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

1. I hear you. Nylon was my first love.
    2. Change is good, but take time with your decision (as stated above - maybe keep something).
    3. Variety can be the spice of life but too much clutter can be un helpful if its not inspiring you to play.
    4. Never say never. When I think about selling guitars I usually ask myself what will I do with the money... sometimes, I've had to sell to pay the bills. I may again.

12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Nylon string guitars are fun, simple, easy to play, and sound very mellow and cool. I play mine probably as much as electric, and you aren’t tied to an amp. No problem with it.
    I have an Ibanez thin body one, very comfortable. Yamaha makes some nice ones affordably, too.

It’s all guitar. Doesn’t matter what type.

13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

There is nothing as expressive as a good nylon string, and if you're into bossa nova, well, nothing else comes close. I've just re-entered the jazz/swing world of archtops after 40 years. Talk about expensive! Luckily, I was able to build a nice one. Enjoy your change, the electric world too easily becomes one long GAS chain.

14. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Best advice yet

Mad Kiwi and paulblackford like this.
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorite things to do when it's raining and nothin' goin' on is to sit in my recliner, light up the tubes, and gently play my Tele. No dirt, no high volumes, just quietly pick my Tele as the rain comes down. I find it peaceful, relaxing, and medatative to do so. Sometimes I actually put myself to sleep! LOL!!! My wife has to wake me up and say "honey? You want me to turn off your amp?" ;) Anyway, IMO don't get rid of your gear just yet. Maybe just step away for a while. Believe me, I've sold gear in the past that I regretted getting rid of later... Good luck to you either way, man!

Mad Kiwi and paulblackford like this.
  16. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I spent a lot of time over the past couple years really trying to get out and "gig" or play open mics. I was neglecting my family, career, etc.

Then lockdoen came and I Could Not Get Motivated. I spent a bunch of money on gear though...lap steel, filled out my harp collection. Still not motivated.

The band got back together.....sloppier than ever. They want to gig again, I don't want to. 1. because we're sloppy, 2. because I don't want to be out in public and 3. frankly this group has plateaued.

I try and get the acoustic out pretty often and hold my open open mic in the basement by myself when the family isn't home.

I strung up my old Yamaha acoustic with some nylon strings and tune it a half step down because it took FOREVER to stabilize. It's in my home office. It's fun to pluck away at. I really need a wider necked one because the wider nylon strings don't work so well with this old folker.

But, to the point, the nylon has a totally different sound and I play different things. So maybe I will look back into buying one.

I can't seem to ever part with anything. I don't need the cash, I need the space sometimes. :)

Good thread.

Telekarster and paulblackford like this.
  17. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

First, I've got a few years on you. Although I don't need to, I play sitting down in my home about 99% of the time. What makes you think you NEED too stand up to play live? Yeah, you might be the odd man out, but WGAF?

Second, and more to the point, I understand the urge to simplify. I look at all the gear I have and think it's complete overkill. I'll often contemplate which guitars I could unload and not miss...which two or three I could be happy with. I sold off seven and a few pedals since last summer, but there are still some I haven't played in months. I just can't get rid of them because I think at some point I'll want them back.

Third, could you really be happy with just one nylon string? It would make more sense to me if you limited it to one nylon string, one steel string acoustic you really like, and one electric you like. That way you'd still simplify, but would also have some variety and not be tempted to buy more stuff after having liquidated nearly everything.

Whatever you decide, hope it works out for you.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I started on acoustic, got into electric later in life (+40), but eventually realized that sometimes I just want to pick up a guitar and play it without all the fuss and bother of amps and tubes and cables and pedals.

These days I have a steel string parlor that I keep tuned to DADGAD and a Traynor nylon (an Academy 12-N. Excellent guitar!) No electronics, so I'm not even tempted to plug in. It's so great sometimes to be able to just grab a guitar and play it!

I still have my electrics and I still enjoy them, just not all the time.

As others have said, I wouldn't be in too big a rush to sell off my electric gear; certainly not all of it. These are strange times we're living in and we're all in a strange headspace, but this too shall pass.

19. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oooooh, Electric Nylon string through a fuzz, that would be fun! Make sure to try both silicon and germanium varieties. Add some delay for ambient tones! Roll the tubes in the amp until you find just the right combo, especially in V1...NOS should sound best. Don't forget modulation! There, glad I could help you simplify :twisted:

20. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’m sure you’ll get (or have gotten, haven’t read all the replies) some “you’ll be back...lolololol” type responses to your turning over a new leaf with gear, but I commend you.

I’m going through the same sort of realization, except that I pretty much only want to play electric, ha.

I may pick up an acoustic sometime if/when I start playing with others or get into a big recording project, but paring down and simplifying to the very essential, not continuing to chase, is very freeing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.