1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Giving up electric. Going back to nylon string

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by paulblackford, Apr 13, 2021.

1. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I'm 52, now, and I don't want to gig anymore. I don't think my bum knee would even allow it. Most of the people I used to jam with have quit playing altogether. I've no urge to build any more partscasters. I never seem to be able to get an electric rig that pleases me, and when I play for enjoyment, I always reach for my nylon string. It's funny, my nylon string has no electronics, I have no urge to change that, and I never feel that I need effects, or amplification. When I play my electric - never satisfied. I think its time to go back to first loves, and get rid of all this crap that seems to only cost money, and leave me unsatisfied. It's hard to do. It's been an imagined part of my identity since I was 15, and I'm actually a pretty good guitarist. Time to change from someone continually auditioning gear, and toys, to someone who just sits happily, and plays. I guess I'm just writing this to convince myself. I've been at this decision point twice before, and always balked, but I think I'm done. I expect a lot of things will be going up on Reverb, and in the classified ads here, very soon. I think the lockdown brought out how much I indulge this hobby, and how little I focus on my actual career. Anyway, I know it doesn't affect anyone here, or anything. I think I just wrote this by way of 'trying it on'. :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Don't currently own a nylon string, but I have, and can appreciate how you feel.

3. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

"Covid World" Depression, maybe? I am a Subscriber, at no charge at least!

4. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

55jq1s.jpg

Fearnot, drmordo, Controller and 7 others like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You didn't ask for my advice, but if I were you, I'd at least keep my favorite electric and my favorite amp.
    Good luck on the journey.

pixeljammer, PhredE, drewg and 13 others like this.
  6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Favorite guitar I ever had was an old shared Harmony nylon string so I agree with your choice to go back.

Fendereedo and paulblackford like this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes you just have to make a change or head a different direction. Change is inevitable, embrace it if you can

I hate to admit I’ve only played one nylon string guitar in my life. It was a cheap POS that was a struggle to play.

Fendereedo and paulblackford like this.
  8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Nylon ... no twang? No gain? No reverb? Off with his head, says the Queen of Hearts!! :lol:

paulblackford likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You're a better man than I am if you can let your electrics go; gigging or not they're fun. But I'm with you about the nylon-string. I hope it never happens, but if I had to get rid of all my guitars but one, I'd have to keep my nylon-string. It's the one I've had the longest, and it would be very hard to replace. I neglect it too often and too long, but I get along great with it when I do bring it out.

10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you truly enjoy the nylon most, that's awesome. Time is valuable, and this is a hobby (for most).

I kinda hear you about auditioning gear and gas in general. I spent way too much time and money on reverb this past year. I've become more of an expert on pedals than on playing music.

My acoustics have been a little neglected. But they sit and wait patiently.

Maybe it's a good idea to take a little break before you unload everything? Might wanna pick up the tele and plug in at some point! Maybe you'll even enjoy it more after some time off.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Do what you gotta do to keep playing and be happy!

I love playing the guitar and I do gig a lot, acoustic or electric, and am grateful for this. ( plus it is income.now)

But just playing something, on any guitar every day is really what I enjoy
    most- Audience or not.

I think nylon strings are fantastic ( don't own one now, but have in the past, and hope to get one soon

and though I'm not a Classical guitarist, I play a lot of blues and simple fingerstyle instrumental stuff on steel strings- and it's just fun to play all this music on a nylon- just to see if I can execute, and hear a different sound..plus they are so rich and resonant!

Do it!

12. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Agreed - there's something incredibly freeing about the purity & simplicity of a nylon string guitar, a pleasure I never experienced before last July.
    Peace - Deeve

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Nowadays going strictly "nylon" can mean all sorts of things. There are solid-body/thinline/esoteric electronic nylon string guitars made by Fender, Rick Turner, Paradis, etc........but play what makes you happy. Lots of incredible "pop" music has been made on nylon strings. ;)

PhredE likes this.
  14. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Man, sometimes I wish I could go back before my electric guitar rabbit hole, purchase a nice acoustic and be done with it. The only reason I initially switched to electric was for a little bit of rock/blues gain. Then I joined a band, and the only way to be heard was with an amplified electric. Then you find yourself spending hours researching and auditioning gear. Fortunately for me, I realized pretty quickly that it was all just "stuff" and never experienced the waking moment when you realize you own 39 guitars.

Currently I own 5 electrics, 2 amps, and 8 pedals. Even this is too much IMO. If I weren't still playing in a band, I'd reduce it down to my MiM Tele and a Princeton. Could never justify an acoustic, but I really want a D-28...

15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep all your gear. Give it 6 months.

16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

That makes sense to me, although I have been in the “headspace” of just wanting it gone, to try out the purge decision and affirm for myself that I could do it. That said, and if that sounds like what you’re feeling...

...if you’re in a position to afford it should you reconsider, do it! Go nylon. If you find you miss your electrics, what the hell, you sounded unhappy with the old stuff anyway. Maybe the nylon-only time will be a creative boost, or a mind-clearing step before replacing gear you weren’t inspired by with something that does inspire you.

Got any interest in learning an altogether different instrument? For me it was electric bass. My stepmom took up cello when she retired and is INTO it. Some people seem to find a different instrument to be a creativity stimulant.

crazydave911 and paulblackford like this.
  17. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

agree with others, why not keep your favorite electric and favorite amp? you don't have to play the consumerist game.

i'm not as old as you, but in my experience or observations, it's fine to admit when something dies out, but ultimatums don't make any sense.

when i quit playing classical and didn't go to conservatory, i didn't play guitar through the entire four years of college, aside from messing around here and there at home (i had one guitar in the house). i seriously never thought i would gig with a guitar (was doing electronic music) again. and then after school ended, i went in a different direction and went right back at it, though on electric, but more seriously than i had in the first place. and i wouldn't have if i didn't have the mind to keep one in the house while i was away at school.

but of course this is nothing compared to one of my teachers as a kid - he didn't play for 15-20 years or something like that before he took it up again and became a teacher around his late 50s.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Maybe just 1 new pedal?

19. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

With a generous return policy, what could go wrong?
    ;)

20. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

you can electrify a nylon string you know

paulblackford likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.