Giving kids a push in the right direction

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Pualee, May 6, 2019.

1. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

I really appreciate [most] of the replies here, some seemed to miss the point of the age of the kids in their recommendations :confused:

Anyway, I have reconsidered what I was thinking. I am definitely going to reset and make sure the kids are interested in this first. It is easy to want them to have opportunities I missed in life - and I see the potential - but it definitely won't work if they don't want it too.

I'll take the technical suggestions to them if they pursue it.

Jim622 and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Well, my son at least is very interested - which is a big plus. So I'll see how it goes from here. Even if the other kids aren't interested, I can practice with him at home on the rhythm while he experiments and works out the lead lines.

Flakey and dswo like this.
  3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Lots of ways to skin that cat but what worked for me personally and 'seems' to work for the kids I coach (improv and rhythm section playing at an arts high school) is to just play together in a band and take solos. Later, the finer points of what works and what doesn't get worked out with peer review (the band) and preferably some consistent private lessons with a good teacher.

Matt G and slowpinky like this.
  4. Miguel-martinez

Miguel-martinez TDPRI Member

The best way is to show them, if you can play you can start the jam, it works that way, if they see something they like they will start to do it themselves.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

start with one string only and one chord: sing a note that fits, then play it. then two notes, then three, then four.

6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Get someone who actually understands what they're doing vs YouTube lessons or the local guitar lesson guy who may or may not.

Reach out to your local colleges and talk to the Director or some professors over there. They may have students that would love the opportunity to work with kids on something like this or maybe even faculty.

My middle schooler is playing over changes like nobody's business (we've been working on it almost nightly for a while) and we work mainly out of the (illegal) Real Book covering standards.

Matt G and Flakey like this.
  7. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

"I really appreciate [most] of the replies here, some seemed to miss the point of the age of the kids in their recommendations :confused:"

In my experience it doesnt matter a great deal if they are just starting out - primary or secondary. There is far and away more emphasis on reading and ensemble skills in schools which is all great - but this pedagogy can be antithetical to improvising without really meaning to be - so its great that you are creating a space in which improvising can be front and centre.
    It can be challenging listening to and finding the right guidance to give kid's for their efforts in this regard but you have to be careful not to be too prescriptive which can be difficult when there is parent/school pressure to 'perform' at some end of term concert or interschool comp. And then theres convincing the kids themselves that it's safe and ok to step out on a limb. It's the gesture of improvisation that has to be instilled - the refinements can come later. Good luck!

8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

What I wish someone had explained to me, when I was just starting out, is (a) the concept of playing the changes and (b) that you can get a huge amount of lead guitar mileage simply by playing the chord tones over those changes. I bet a person could get the idea across to kids in less than five minutes, and have every kid in the group taking a (very basic) lead in ten minutes. Bonus: once they understand why you'd play a given set of notes over a given chord, the musicians among them will suddenly discover good reasons to spend their spare time learning new chords and related scales.

Pualee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.