Give Us Songs That Have A Big Dose Of Humor!

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
A large part of the appeal of the original Van Halen lineup was in David Lee Roth's humorous lyrics and attitude. Most hard-rockin' bands still haven't gotten that message.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Dr. Hook - “Cover of the Rolling Stone”

I just showed a video of this song to my younger daughter, but I used the drunk-out-of-their-minds live version.

I explained to her that, like many of the bands hits, it was written by Shel Silverstein, who was also a cartoonist for Playboy and an acclaimed author of children's books.

Then I showed her another funny tune penned by Silverstein...

... and another that was dark and depressing.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
One of my favorite people, Leroy Troy...

That reminds me of this, which is more pathetic than funny.

I'm surprised Roger Miller hasn't been mentioned yet. His work is a great example of how comedy is often deeper and darker than the serious stuff.

Last edited:

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Who can forget the country hit: "I Kissed Her on the Lips, and Left Her Behind for You"

A couple funny ones from Duane Allman:

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
That reminds me of this, which is more pathetic than funny.

I'm surprised Roger Miller hasn't been mentioned yet. His work is a great example of how comedy is often deeper and darker than the serious stuff.

I think johnny cash was trying to be let down from a record company because of a bad contract. Hence the chicken in black. As far as i care, still better than anything nowadays.