1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Give up on a faulty speaker ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sean B, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Hi all, purchased a used Eminence 1028k for my 2x10 amp. Installed and played at bedroom volumes and all sounds good, but after turning amp up, some of the lower frequencies are causing the speaker to buzz and distort. Removed the speaker and connnected it to a head, same issues... kind of a Kinkish buzz going on and low notes are resonating for longer than usual with a distinctive buzz. The cone looks fine, no visible tears or holes etc. In a perfect world I should just send it back to the seller for a refund, but I bought it a long time ago, so that is out of the question... Guessing I should just buy a new one, as I have no idea how to fix the problem. Anyone have similar issues? Anything else I can do ?

2. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

It all depends on if you've got a local speaker guy. If yes, not a problem to run it by there. If there's shipping two ways involved, you may as well pitch it. Emi's are easily replaced.

Sean B likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Not worth fixing, as there likely is no real fix short of a recone. Buy a new one. unless it can be reconed for less.

teleplayr and Sean B like this.
  4. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Weird, I had this exact problem crop up on an older 1028K recently. See this thread for some helpful suggestions I got. Not quite hopeless, but I haven't actually tried his major fixes yet. First let's do some more diagnosis.

I assume it happens with the speaker out of the cab? Does it happen face up and face down, as well as let's say label 'right side up' (readable) and upside down? You can look for a dot of solder or chunk of debris all around the outside of the speaker (may be tucked down against the frame) or likewise tears, loose edges on the spider. Check the fiberboard tab with the lugs, and the fine wires that go on to the speaker, don't vibrate. Is the frame bent, especially near the bolt holes? Is the surround still nice and shiny?

Assuming none of that works, maybe it's not something external...

You say it's worse at higher volumes -- that tells us something. Does it happen more on certain notes?

What happens if you reach all your fingers in behind the cone and push it evenly in and out? Any noise? Tap the speaker cone with a finger and see if there's any click or rattle.

There are possible home fixes worth trying before you chuck it. Not guaranteed to work, but better odds than a trip to the landfill. The maestro, Ted Weber, described two in his Q&A column (search for the word 'buzz'). Yours sound more like the first problem, and the easy part is to do what he suggests first to cut away the dust cap (read his simple but important caution) and see if you can remove any debris. Some compressed air and a swipe in the gap with a stiff strip of paper can be tried. Do all this over a piece of clean white paper so you'll see any small debris that falls out. This is a fairly common and fairly simple problem.

If it isn't debris, Ted's step two, shimming the gap and soaking the spider with a little acetone, isn't dangerous if you're not lighting up a cigarette at the time. Some folks spray the cone instead, with 99% isopropyl, which may be a bit milder. He then describes placing a replacement dust cap, but Weber doesn't carry Emi-sized ones, so you'd have to hunt around, or you can repair the existing cap with rubber cement.

His second buzz type sounds more mysterious and harder to fix (and less like yours, I'm guessing) but is worth a read.

uriah1 and Sean B like this.
  5. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Wow, some great advice, thanks. Read the threads and Ted Weber's advice. Mine sounds the same mounted or not. Just noticeable on the D, A and E strings, especially with two or more bass notes fretted. It does it any way up, and manipulating the cone doesn't seem to help. The speaker is pretty pristine looking and the two wires from the terminals to the cone don't seem to be the problem. At first I thought it was a preamp tube dying off, and then thought it was fret buzz, but it's the speaker for sure. I've just given it a few taps and shakes.. nothing obvious rattling. As if by magic there is a used one just posted today on Ebay UK, so I shall keep an eye on that, and meantime check mine thoroughly for any debris, then cut away the dust cap and see if there's anything there. Thing is I'm sure I would have run it fairly loud when I first got it, but can't be sure. In other words I think the problem has developed since I bought it.

6. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Speakers are one of those things that you need to heed extra care that the #'s are correct. That the resistance is right, the power handling, the db effeciency and so forth.

My experience with Eminence speakers has been a mixed bag. When they are good speakers in the right enclosure, they are magic.

I have had some dissapointing experiences too.

7. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My buzz (more on certain notes) was sorta like yours, but it was also present on very quiet notes.

What about voice coil rub? this test:
    FWIW mine was silent on cone excursion, and at dustcap surgery there was no debris in the voice coil gap. So I'm down to the shim and soak step. But if you have debris or voice coil rub your cone may make noise when you manually put it into excursion.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

This voice coil rub test, which I learned almost 30 years ago, should be done with the speaker out of the cab and resting firmly with the cone pointed up. With two or three fingers of each hand spread evenly and evenly spaced on the cone, lightly press the cone in and release. Listen for any rub noise.
    Note: do not share with any manufacturer that you have done this test as it will probably void any warranty. Some folks have heavy hands, and one can damage an otherwise good speaker if one is not careful.

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.