Give me your best breakfast recipe

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan R, Oct 14, 2019.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My grandma used to make me Swedish pancakes, Svenska pannkakor, gosh I loved them! She'd make them in a cast iron plett pan. I got her recipe from my dad. I make for my kids and grandkids,
    it's a real favorite.

1 egg, 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup milk
    Mix with a wisk pour abt 1/3 cup
    Into hot buttered skillet~they cook fast
    When done roll them up with a spoonful of ligonberry jam~ or your jam of choice.
    I use whole wheat pastry flour, but others will work.
    :D

G&Lplayer likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's my dad's Saturday Morning Special, a family favorite. I hope my version is faithful after all these years:

Egg a la Mussy

Slice some celery. Chop some green onions. Cube some bread, stale is OK. Dice some Monterey Jack. Cut a handful of bacon slices crosswise into 1/2" strips. Crack eggs into a bowl and scramble the cheese cubes in with them.

Got all that ready? Okay:

Cook the bacon to crispy, keeping the temperature just low enough the fat doesn't smoke or burn. Stir in the onions and celery quickly, then after just a few seconds add the bread cubes. The cubes will absorb the grease, and you want to turn them continuously with your spatula, until the bread is a bit crispy. Lower to medium heat, and scramble in the egg and cheese mixture, cooking to your desired consistency, but don't let the cheese melt completely in to the eggs.

Be sure you make enough; people tend to, um, fill their plates.

RIP, Pop, and thanks for all those Saturday morning breakfasts.

gwjensen likes this.
  3. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Beer

Attached Files:

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I have one egg every morning for the protein. Sometimes with wheat or oatmeal toast.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Sort of a huevos ranchero.

Spread a layer of refried beans. Next a layer of shredded cheese. Into the microwave to heat the beans and melt the cheese. Meanwhile, fry eggs your way. Top with a layer of salsa and some sour cream. Done.

Customize any way you like.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Best? I dunno, but my everyday is oatmeal or some other hot multigrain cereal with lotta stuff in it -- you don't want your everyday breakfast to be a grease bomb.

• I regularly toast walnuts and/or almonds and roughly chop them. I keep a small container of chopped nuts and seeds (add sunflower and pumpkin seeds) to add to hot cereal. Hemp?
    • Chop up and toss in whatever fresh fruit you have that will work, and/or use dried fruit.
    • before serving, add cinnamon, yogurt, maple syrup.
    It's getting colder, so hot cereal warms you from the insides.

7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

My best home breakfast recipe is my wife’s strata. She uses hearty breads, such as old bagels and baguettes. Stratas are great because you assemble it (doesn’t take long) the night before and just put it in the oven when you wake up.

Here’s sort of a framework recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20913/easy-sausage-strata/

8. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My favorite is a nice sesame seed or everything bagel filled with a spicy sausage patty and layered with pepper jack cheese. And some strong black coffee.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.